Apple's next iPhone coming in September, 7" iPad launching in August - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pegatron has reportedly landed orders for Apple's next-generation iPhone, rumored to launch in September, while Foxconn will allegedly manufacture a new 7-inch iPad arriving in August.

Citing sources in the Taiwan technology supply chain, DigiTimes reported on Wednesday that Pegatron Technology has landed orders for Apple's sixth-generation iPhone, which the site believes will be launched in September. Separately, the report also claimed that Foxconn will be responsible for Apple's anticipated 7-inch iPad when it arrives in August.

In addition, the report also claimed that Apple plans to launch a new 10-inch iPad in the fourth quarter of 2012, which will allegedly be built by Pegatron.

Apple's current 9.7-inch iPad just received an update in March with a Retina display and 4G LTE connectivity, which would make another update this year unlikely. DigiTimes has a hit-or-miss track record with respect to Apple rumors.

As for a 7-inch iPad, recent reports have pegged such a device at a specific size of 7.85 inches, with a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels. By using the same screen resolution as the iPad 2, Apple could allow current applications written for the iPad to run on a new, smaller device without any modifications.

Pegatron, which is rumored to manufacture the new iPhone, is currently an original equipment manufacturer for Apple, and handles orders for both the iPhone 4S and the new iPad. The company is said to be expanding its capacity and staffing in order to handle even more orders from Apple in the future.

A5 4

Wednesday's report also alleged that Pegatron has "internally decided to downsize its SI motherboard department and to shift resources to Apple's orders." The company is said to be placing a priority with Apple as other companies are reducing orders, and gross margins with those orders have been low.

Foxconn, meanwhile, is Apple's largest overseas manufacturing partner. The company is set to hold a groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday to begin construction of a new 10,000-square-meter operational headquarters in Shanghai, China, scheduled to be completed in 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I still am not convinced about this 7" iPad.

• Reply 2 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good grief why do rumor sites still post crap from DigiTimes?!?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    And if they were going to do it wouldn't they have done it at the same time they released the new iPad? If there is any truth to this it's probably a bigger iPod Touch.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    Totally bogus. Period.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm convinced that Apple will have a 7.85" iPad by this fall.

• Reply 6 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm convinced that Apple will have a 7.85" iPad by this fall.

And zzzzzzzz has already written a fake review about how bad it is.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Any word on the new MacBook Pros, the MacBook Airs, the Mac Pro, or the iMac?

enough with the iToys...the Macintosh is *still* an important platform!!!

• Reply 8 of 66
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Ugh, why?! Please let this die. Unless there's something new and amazing they can do with a 7.85 tablet, this rumor should just fade away.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

A new iPhone in September may be real, IMO the rest is BS!

• Reply 10 of 66
    greginpraguegreginprague Posts: 481member

The article says that DigiTimes has a hit or miss record on rumors.  Can anyone name more than a single rumor (or even just one) that originated with Digitimes and turned out to be true?

• Reply 11 of 66

3 iPads in one year? Please.  When will Digitimes "news" be ignored for what it is? Oh yea, it won't... because, page hits.

• Reply 12 of 66
    jsyedinakjsyedinak Posts: 34member

Apart from Digitimes name being on this doesn't it make send to have either a 7" Ipad or Ipod Touch in terms of the HUGE gaming market? I have an Ipad and Iphone but do not find it very enjoyable to play games on the Iphone due to its screen size. What if they made a compelling 7" size for gaming that competed more aggressively with the Nintendo DSs and Sony PS Vita?

• Reply 13 of 66
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And if they were going to do it wouldn't they have done it at the same time they released the new iPad? If there is any truth to this it's probably a bigger iPod Touch.

7" iPad in August would make sense for the education/back to school market. Also, Apple can ride the popularity of the iPad brand much farther than the iPod brand. Would most people rather say they have an iPad or an iPod?

• Reply 14 of 66
    jontepontejonteponte Posts: 57member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

Apart from Digitimes name being on this doesn't it make send to have either a 7" Ipad or Ipod Touch in terms of the HUGE gaming market? I have an Ipad and Iphone but do not find it very enjoyable to play games on the Iphone due to its screen size. What if they made a compelling 7" size for gaming that competed more aggressively with the Nintendo DSs and Sony PS Vita?

A couple of days ago I saw a post detailing how Apple is currently grabbing 83% of mobile gaming revenue in the US with iPhone/iTouch and iPad. Do they really need to be more aggressive then that currently?

• Reply 15 of 66
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

And in other news Apple announced it will never release another Mac again.   If you want anything bigger than an iPad screen, you will have to wait for the 27" iPad Maxi that rumors have pegged for release in 2013.

No analysts or rumor sites have reported on this because they have been too busy frothing about Android vs iOS marketshare surveys and rumors of tiny tablets to compete against the low-budget Kindle that Amazon practically gave away during the Christmas shopping season.  

In other Apple news, so more old Steve Jobs photos and tapes were found at a garage sale in Cupertino, where Tim Cook was seen shopping.

• Reply 16 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The article says that DigiTimes has a hit or miss record on rumors.  Can anyone name more than a single rumor (or even just one) that originated with Digitimes and turned out to be true?

I think they predicted once that the sun would rise the next day. Other than that, I can't think of anything, though.
    http://stupidapplerumors.com/news/2012/six-month-rumor-Report
    kkerst wrote: »
    Ugh, why?! Please let this die. Unless there's something new and amazing they can do with a 7.85 tablet, this rumor should just fade away.

Why does it have to be something new and amazing? Lots of people love their iPod Touch, but think it's too small. Others think that the iPad is too big. If you look at the business Apple is losing in the tablet market, the vast majority is in the 7-8" size. A strong case could be make for introducing a lower priced product in that size range. Since it would be introduced as a lower price product, I'd probably use the same resolution as the original iPad rather than creating a new resolution or shrinking the new iPad's resolution down to a 7" device.

However, I think some people are unrealistic on the savings. a 7" iPad would be roughly half the area of a 10" iPad. But the cost would not be reduced by 50%. So expecting a 7" iPad to be $199-249 is probably unrealistic (especially considering that the iPod Touch starts at $199 and goes up from there). I could see a 7" iPad with the original iPad screen resolution at $299, though.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Foxconn, meanwhile, is Apple's largest overseas manufacturing partner. The company is set to hold a groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday to begin construction of a new 10,000-square-foot operational headquarters in Shanghai, China, scheduled to be completed in 2015.

10K must be a typo. No headquarters worthy of mention would be that small. Bill Gates' house is five times that size.

• Reply 18 of 66

They may need to have the iPhone ready by September, but I don't see it launching until October. 

• Reply 19 of 66
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm holding out for the 17" iPad rumor.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    While I can see how it would behoove to add another iPad size to further dominate the tablet market this doesn't seem likely as stated.

PS: If DigiTimes is wrong can we finally (please) not give so much attention to their wild rumours?