Opening DVD drawer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

I was curious about OS 9 and put the installer disc in a G4 computer running Tiger.  I was lost trying to use Classic, so I tried to open the disc drive drawer to take out the disc. 

No luck. I got an error message like:  Disc is in use so you can't remove it  - or words to that effect.  

Rats.  I want to go back to OS X Tiger.  

Does anyone know how to open the G4 drawer by computer or manually?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hold the mouse button on startup.

• Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Sorry, Tallest,  holding the mouse button didn't work. OS 9 still raised its ugly head and the eject button brought up that same old 'disk in use' stuff.

Any other buttons to hold ?

• Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hmm… Is it a PowerMac G4 or an iMac?

Ah, guess it doesn't matter: it should have a hole for a paper clip if you manually open the drive door. Try that.

• Reply 4 of 7

It's a PowerMac G4, but I can't find the hole using a light or feeling for it with my finger. IF there is one, it's so well hidden that only the manufacturer knows where it is; however, I don't know who manufactured it.

I found a site that supposedly has all the ways to open a G4 CD Drive including a schematic that shows where the holes are in six different drives. Unfortunately, none of the ways work and this drive isn't one of the six.

Everything was fine until I got the bright idea to look at Classic. The computer and 22" Cinema monitor are still in great condition; however, without being able to get back to OS X, it's worthless to me.

They are heading for the dump. It's not worth the frustration.

Thanks any way, Tallest. 

• Reply 5 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You can probably just disconnect the optical drive.
  • Reply 6 of 7

Good suggestion. Thanks.

• Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The key strokes to things on bootup have varied over time, you might need to find the manual for your machine.

As for the force eject by paper clip, I'd be surprised if one isn't there, I have not seen a drive not actually have one. You might have to remove the drive from the computer to see it.