Apple Korea offering new replacements of iPad, iPod to fit local rules

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's Korean division has agreed to replace defective iPads and iPods with brand-new devices for up to one month after purchase in order to comply with local regulations.

Korean newspaper The Chosunilbo reports (via The Next Web) that the country's Fair Trade Commission has convinced Apple to change its policy. According to the report, Apple previously replaced defective iPods and iPads with refurbished devices.

"Consumers will be protected under Korean warranty standards for all of Apple's small electronic gadgets sold here from now on," the publication noted the FTC as saying.

Apple's new policy for iPad and iPod purchases in Korea falls in line with its local warranty for the iPhone. Last September, the Cupertino, Calif., company adjusted its iPhone warranty to provide new replacements in response to pressure from Korea's FTC.

The iPad has gained sufficient traction in Korea as to have passed up Samsung's Galaxy Tab on its home turf. Apple's third-generation tablet went on sale in the region last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

They should do the same thing everywhere.  It is bullshit that a brand new defective unit gets replaced with a refurb.

• Reply 2 of 5
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    They should do the same thing everywhere.  It is bullshit that a brand new defective unit gets replaced with a refurb.

It is bullshit that no matter what Apple does, no matter how many other companies do the same thing, you label Apple's actions as 'bullshit' while ignoring everyone else.
  • Reply 3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It is bullshit that no matter what Apple does, no matter how many other companies do the same thing, you label Apple's actions as 'bullshit' while ignoring everyone else.

This is news because Apple wasn't following the local law. In fact this very article suggests they dragged their feet with the iPad as they changed the iPhone policy a year ago, so they knew what they were doing. If there's another company not doing it, they should be called out too, but I don't see any listed in the report. ...Also probably worth just ignoring zzzzzzzzz as his posts are as such.

• Reply 4 of 5
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But is that what they are doing. Are they replacing your defective whatever with a previously owned by another customer unit. Or are folks assuming it's a refurb because it's not coming in a pretty white box with a new charger etc. Seems to me that it's probably more the latter. It might have even been that in Korea as well. So the rules might actually have changed so that folks can exchange like for like 30 days out via the sales department rather than tech support. 

Why by the by is something any store will do if you aren't a total ass about it. If it is not user damaged you can return it, even exchange it. It's right there on your receipt. just grab all the bits and pieces and your receipt and go for it. Even if you are a few days out of the 14 days if there's a clear defect you just nicely talk to a manager and they will almost always say yes. Particularly if it's a newly launched item. 

• Reply 5 of 5
    fz750fz750 Posts: 14member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What is the saddest thing about your comment is that you are so far up apple's rear that you defend them to the end despite knowing that such behaviour is unacceptable..!

If somebody offered me a used item to replace my faulty new toy, they'd be bouncing out of my sight as fast as my boot would "enable" them...