Minor Apple TV software update brings HD previews, bug fixes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released Software Update Version 5.0.1 for second and third generation Apple TVs, bringing various stability improvements and bug fixes to the set-top media streamers.

Included in the update is the addition of HD previews for movies and TV shows, AirShare and Home Sharing issue resolutions, Netflix bug fixes and overall performance enhancements.

Apple TV Update
Source: Apple

The software is meant for second and third generation Apple TVs only and can be downloaded on the unit by navigating to Settings > General > Update Software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

Stunning update really.

• Reply 2 of 16
    bonzobonzo Posts: 1member

Before I install it, does anyone know if it affects Beamer? Also does it fix the BBC iPlayer Airplay bug?

• Reply 3 of 16
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Now all we need is untethered jailbreak for Firecore's ATV Flash Black!

• Reply 4 of 16
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I don't have a clue to what you said, but It was a mouthful. ;)

• Reply 5 of 16
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

When they release an update which says in the notes:  'adds app store', then I'll be interested.

• Reply 6 of 16
    bengt77bengt77 Posts: 46member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of The Untethered Jailbreak™, too. It can't come soon enough!

• Reply 7 of 16
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Downloading now - hopefully this fixes the horrible problem with Home Sharing FREQUENTLY quitting causing one to have to go to the computer to quit and relaunch Home Sharing.

Will update once installed and running for awhile to see if this is a total fix.

UPDATE:
    The frequent dropping of the Home Share connection with iTunes seems to have been resolved after a full day of testing on 2 different ATV2's.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member

Deleted

• Reply 9 of 16

Deleted

• Reply 10 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Downloading now - hopefully this fixes the horrible problem with Home Sharing FREQUENTLY quitting causing one to have to go to the computer to quit and relaunch Home Sharing.

Will update once installed and running for awhile to see if this is a total fix.

HAHAHA.  Stupid new editor.

Same here.

• Reply 11 of 16
    limlim Posts: 9member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo View Post

Before I install it, does anyone know if it affects Beamer? Also does it fix the BBC iPlayer Airplay bug?

Thanks bonzo, your enquiry was a bit of a bonus tip for me as I had not realised there was a iPlayer/Airplay facility. I've figured out how to do it now; no difficult, but it could be more straight forward.

Regards, lim

• Reply 12 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Hopefully it'll sort the homeshare fault as that was annoying me.

It'd be nice if the Netflix fix actually made the content better but that's asking a lot image.

• Reply 13 of 16
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

When they release an update which says in the notes:  'adds app store', then I'll be interested.

+1.  I still haven't updated to my ATV2 software from the last time; every time I see that lego-block interface I cringe.  (And yes, I even tried it out in an Apple store - where I found it was worse than I'd feared; it doesn't scroll?!  Go to the bottom line and the whole screen jumps up and you have to find your place gain?!  Arg.)

• Reply 14 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I've been having trouble streaming 1080p content from both iPhone 4S to all 3 ATV3s.  It takes FOREVER to watch a 2 minute recording- maybe 15-20 minutes for it to load.

• Reply 15 of 16
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

My parents' Apple TV bit the dust. We were all shocked because as a family of Apple users, our track record with Apple's quality has been stellar. It's out of warranty but I'm still going to see what they can do at the nearest Apple Store.

• Reply 16 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I've been having trouble streaming 1080p content from both iPhone 4S to all 3 ATV3s.  It takes FOREVER to watch a 2 minute recording- maybe 15-20 minutes for it to load.

Are you streaming to them all at once? Oh! That might be the iPhone's Wi-Fi. It's 802.11n, but it's only 2.4GHz.