Loewe denies rumors of Apple acquisition

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
German HDTV maker Loewe AG has denied that it is in talks with Apple about a potential $113 million buyout of the company.

The company issued a statement (via Google Translate) to German website Heise on Sunday, in which a spokesman claimed there was "absolutely nothing to" the rumor. An unconfirmed tip provided to AppleInsider on Saturday claimed that the company's board of directors was due to make a final decision on an alleged deal before this Friday, May 18.

Loewe has been in the television market since 1929, and currently employs around 1,000 workers in 50 countries. Its TV sets feature minimalist designs and are geared toward the premium market.

Speculation has been rampant for years that Apple is working on a full-fledged television set that would go well beyond the company's current set-top box offering, the Apple TV. Though the rumors have persisted for years, they picked up considerable steam last October with the release of the authorized biography of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

In the book, Jobs told biographer Walter Isaacson that he had "finally cracked" the secret to Apple building an HDTV. He said the device would have "the simplest user interface you could imagine."

HDTV

Jobs's vision was for a connected TV that would be synced with all of a user's devices, and with Apple's iCloud service. It would spare users from having to use complex remotes for multiple devices like DVD players and cable boxes, which has led to speculation that an anticipated Apple television set could feature Siri-like voice control.

Just last week, one report claimed that Terry Gou, chairman of Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn, revealed that his company is currently preparing to build an Apple television. However, he said that development or manufacturing of such a device had not yet begun.

Another report in April claimed Apple considered buying a stake in LCD panel maker Sharp to further its development of a television set. Instead it was Foxconn that struck a deal with Sharp and bought a 10 percent share in the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

No surprise! Why the hell would Apple need to acquire a TV manufacturer anyway? I'm pretty sure they have all the expertise they need. 

What is a 'TV' anyhow except an oversized crappier version of an iMac with a different UI. I think Apple are perfectly capable.

• Reply 2 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No surprise! Why the hell would Apple need to acquire a TV manufacturer anyway? I'm pretty sure they have all the expertise they need. 

Pretty sure?
  • Reply 3 of 52
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

I hope this correct! I had one of their TV's about 10 years ago and it was a piece of junk. I had a hell of a time trying to return it.

• Reply 4 of 52
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Rumor:  Apple and Ford are in negotiations to merge as one company make fire retardant stitched logo's for their employees.

http://ensign-tvc-ws02.ensignemblem.com/index/fire-retardant

• Reply 5 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pretty sure?

Well, what technologies do they need which they can't borrow from a previous product? A TV from Apple sure won't cater for much (if any) analog remnants of the past, this will be a very digital beast more akin to a computer, than your fathers TV from old.

• Reply 6 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I hope this correct! I had one of their TV's about 10 years ago and it was a piece of junk. I had a hell of a time trying to return it.

I had a Macintosh Performa TV and it was a piece of crap also. 10 years is a long time in the tech industry. Remember Lucky Goldstar (now LG)?

Based on a quick search, Loewe products are apparently getting some decent reviews recently.

I still don't get the motivation for the deal though unless they have an important patent on something. The price is just pocket change for Apple.

• Reply 7 of 52
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Um ....

Why does anyone still take "Cult Of Mac" seriously ....

Why ?!?
  • Reply 8 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Um ....

Why ?!?

Dunno, but this "rumor" was originally reported by "AppleInsider" - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html

• Reply 9 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Um ....

Why ?!?

What does this have to do with them at all? AppleInsider broke the story. It's nice to see us also reporting on the fact that it wasn't true this time.

But yes, CultOfMac is nearly second to DigiTimes in reliability.

• Reply 10 of 52
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

You might be on to something there. If there is any truth to an impending TV set, the end result it would likely be similar to an iOS device, but with a gigantic screen.

Of course, if successful, Apple will surely work its magic to make it unlike anything we have seen before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well, what technologies do they need which they can't borrow from a previous product? A TV from Apple sure won't cater for much (if any) analog remnants of the past, this will be a very digital beast more akin to a computer, than your fathers TV from old.

• Reply 11 of 52

Proofed by denial?! Of course the deny it, what do you expect?  I like their designs (Loewe's), looking forward to....... Dilger's rumour coming true. Trust him, I do ;-)

• Reply 12 of 52
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    What does this have to do with them at all? AppleInsider broke the story. It's nice to see us also reporting on the fact that it wasn't true this time.

But yes, CultOfMac is nearly second to DigiTimes in reliability.
    I agree it's nice to see them print that they were wrong. But I hope they didn't run the story because of an anonymous tip or some shady nebulous deal.

Between the crappy forum update and this story it's like they are trying to drive people away.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    uguysrnuts wrote: »
    You might be on to something there. If there is any truth to an impending TV set, the end result it would likely be similar to an iOS device, but with a gigantic screen.

Of course, if successful, Apple will surely work its magic to make it unlike anything we have seen before.

One word. Tiles.
  • Reply 14 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Absolutely, and will probably run on similar internals to the iPad. The iPad 3 has proven capable of dishing out more than enough pixels to power an HDTV.

• Reply 15 of 52
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Well, if they don't buy Loewe, then Loewe might want to rethink their strategy since Apple may take away a lot of their business if Apple goes into the TV market.  Just an observation.

I am wondering why Foxconn and Sharp had reportedly bought some Loewe shares, at least that's what has been mentioned in the media.  Don't know if those statements are true or not, but if they are, then  Hmmmmmmmm.....

Or maybe Apple is in talks with Loewe in terms of mfg products for the European market or maybe buying some licensing.  Anything and everything is possible.  Just some speculation, nothing more.

• Reply 16 of 52
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

As much as their expertise in phone antennae or more?

• Reply 17 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

As much as their expertise in phone antennae or more?

Hilarious.jpg

• Reply 18 of 52
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

I'VE CRACKD IT

• Reply 19 of 52
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

What is a 'TV' anyhow except an oversized crappier version of an iMac with a different UI. I think Apple are perfectly capable.

Really think on this one. It's an oversized crappier version of a Cinema Display with some embedded system giving it a Smart TV moniker, other wise its just a dumb device for video output, definitely not a dumbed down All-in-One Desktop system.

• Reply 20 of 52
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hilarious.jpg

Why would they need to buy when they can just rip off (with apologies to Ive because he does have my respect as a designer even after the first gen mba design flop (latch) and allowing also for the imac's almost complete lack of ergonomics.)

original.jpg