Rumor: Apple's 7.85" iPad will use thin-film touch technology

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The rumored 7.85-inch iPad will launch in the fourth quarter of this year and will feature "G/F2" thin-film touch technology, allowing the device to be thinner and less expensive than previous models, according to a new report.

The sometimes-reliable DigiTimes reported on Tuesday Nitto will supply the thin-film materials and Nissha Printing and TPK will produce touchscreens for Apple's so-called "iPad Mini." Wintek will reportedly not be part of the supply chain, as it does not have thin-film touch capacity.

The rumored "G/F2" design will reportedly reduce costs, and also allow Apple to make the new iPad even thinner than the current third-generation iPad, or the iPad 2. The technology uses one less layer of film than the "G/F/F," or "glass/film/film," structure found in previous iPads.

"The G/F2 structure places the electrode on the top and bottom ends of the ITO film, which will then be laminated onto the cover glass," the report said. "The iPad Mini will also be more transparent and will have good sensitivity despite current skepticism with thin-film touch panels in the industry."

AppleInsider previously reported in April that Apple's next-generation iPhone is also expected to use new touchscreen technology that will allow the device to be thinner. By switching from current glass-on-glass solutions to in-cell touch technology, Apple could reduce the thickness of the iPhone by 0.44 millimeters, or allow more space for a larger battery.

As for the rumored 7.85-inch iPad, the device has been rumored to have a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels, which is the same resolution as the first-generation iPad and the iPad 2. That would allow current applications written for the iPad to run on a new, smaller device without any modifications.

Various reports have reaffirmed that Apple has experimented with a 7.85-inch iPad, which would have a height roughly the same as the width of the current 9.7-inch iPad. A smaller, less expensive model would allow Apple to compete more directly with Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    roontoonroontoon Posts: 20member

And each one will come with it's very own solid gold Apple.

• Reply 2 of 52
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

This brings up a question for me - does anyone know whether the touch resolution (or sensitivity) of the iPad surface is? Has it changed since the implementation of Retina Display?

• Reply 3 of 52
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

And each one will come with it's very own solid gold Apple.

There does appear to be demand for a 7" iPad.   Why walk away from customers waving dollars in their face?   Apple would be a fool not to cater to this audience.

• Reply 4 of 52
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

I've never been one to say "this is news?" or critique rumor sites reporting on news, but come on — it's from Digitimes. "Sometimes reliable" is an understatement. "Almost-never reliable" is more accurate. Maybe each article can have a credibility rating in the headline so we can know which to ignore.

• Reply 5 of 52
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

"Sometimes reliable DigiTimes" ... heh.  That's like saying that I "might be dating Penelope Cruz."

Anyways, I'm still not convinced that there will be a 7" iPad, or what niche it would really fill.  

• Reply 6 of 52
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

As long as we're making things up...

It will be powered by Methane collected from your farts.

• Reply 7 of 52

SHOULD THIS FORM FACTOR MATERIALIZE, it could be quite appealing to many of us. I say this if Apple can actually produce a thinner iPad Mini, with thinner meaning lighter as well, keep the battery life up to 8 hours or more and price it south of $300, I would be very tempted myself to buy one even without the retina display. 

Keep in mind too that this is not a 7-inch tablet like the Kindle Fire or Nook but rather a 7.85-inch tablet. By my imprecise calculations a 7.85-inch iPad Mini would yield a viewing area of over 60% of the 9.7-inch iPad rather than the tad less than 50% viewing area of a 7-inch model. The increased real estate size of a 7.85-inch versus a 7inch model I think would be noticeable and probably result in a more pleasurable experience.

• Reply 8 of 52
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member

Why, in heavens name, would Apple care about the dropping (like a stone) demand for the Kindle???  

Apple is not the LOW COST LEADER selling every possible option.   Just because some idiot anal..... yst says its so to get hits on his site does not make it so.   

Apple, we will sell insanely great products... when they are ready. 

Just a thought,

• Reply 9 of 52
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

As long as we're making things up...

It will be powered by Methane collected from your farts.

Great! Mine will be at 100% all the time!

• Reply 10 of 52
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

Apple offers different screen sizes for their iMac, so why are different screen sizes for iPad and iPhone such a silly idea?

Choice > No Choice

• Reply 11 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

DigiTimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The sometimes-reliable DigiTimes

Don't make me laugh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1reflectsathome View Post

The increased real estate size of a 7.85-inch versus a 7inch model I think would be noticeable and probably result in a more pleasurable experience.

Until you actually try to use the device, sure.

• Reply 12 of 52
    davidnessdavidness Posts: 34member

I, personally, love my iPad 1, but would really love it more if it were smaller and lighter. I'd buy one of these smaller form factor iPads.

• Reply 13 of 52
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Apple offers different screen sizes for their iMac, so why are different screen sizes for iPad and iPhone such a silly idea?

Choice > No Choice

Because interacting with a keyboard/mouse driven interface is quite different than interacting with a touch-driven device.

Also, the difference between developing applications for a 24" screen or a 27" screen is essentially non-existent.  Developing apps for differently sized devices, however, is a different matter.

• Reply 14 of 52
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1reflectsathome View Post

SHOULD THIS FORM FACTOR MATERIALIZE, it could be quite appealing to many of us. I say this if Apple can actually produce a thinner iPad Mini, with thinner meaning lighter as well, keep the battery life up to 8 hours or more and price it south of $300, I would be very tempted myself to buy one even without the retina display. 

Keep in mind too that this is not a 7-inch tablet like the Kindle Fire or Nook but rather a 7.85-inch tablet. By my imprecise calculations a 7.85-inch iPad Mini would yield a viewing area of over 60% of the 9.7-inch iPad rather than the tad less than 50% viewing area of a 7-inch model. The increased real estate size of a 7.85-inch versus a 7inch model I think would be noticeable and probably result in a more pleasurable experience.

Over 65% actually. The difference between a 7" and 7.85" doesn't sound that much but it is substantial in terms of what matters  - screen area.

When rounding it really be referred to a a potential 8" rather than 7" device.

• Reply 15 of 52
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

I purchased a iPad 2 on the day it was released.  I recently purchased a refurbished Kindle Fire since I am a Amazon Prime member.  

IMO, the Kindle Fire screen is really too small.  I guess for reading its okay, but for web surfing, games, videos, and apps, the 7" screen is really too small.

• Reply 16 of 52
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I purchased a iPad 2 on the day it was released.  I recently purchased a refurbished Kindle Fire since I am a Amazon Prime member.  

IMO, the Kindle Fire screen is really too small.  I guess for reading its okay, but for web surfing, games, videos, and apps, the 7" screen is really too small.

It's a personal preference. Some people would see more positives than negatives in a form factor that is smaller than the current iPad but larger than an iPhone. Others, like yourself, not so much.

• Reply 17 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I don't think it will be that bad. It's certainly not that hard to use iOS on a 3.5" iPhone and a 7.85" iPad would have over 4 times the area. There are plenty of things I do on my iPad that would be just fine with a 35% reduction in area. Not everything, but enough to make it attractive to a lot of people.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    roontoonroontoon Posts: 20member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

There does appear to be demand for a 7" iPad.   Why walk away from customers waving dollars in their face?   Apple would be a fool not to cater to this audience.

That is debatable. Perhaps from the "Anal"ist there is demand but Apple will not create a product with substandard user experience. But my comment was about Digitimes which is NEVER right about Apple predictions. I do not tend to believe a rumor unless unaltered photos showing a 7" iPad frame next to a current model are with it.

• Reply 19 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think it will be that bad. It's certainly not that hard to use iOS on a 3.5" iPhone and a 7.85" iPad would have over 4 times the area. There are plenty of things I do on my iPad that would be just fine with a 35% reduction in area. Not everything, but enough to make it attractive to a lot of people.

I don't think that screen size is big enough to express great tablet apps.  

• Reply 20 of 52
    shrfu31shrfu31 Posts: 8member

Why oh why do you guys keep publishing "rumors" from Digitimes.  I have only been following Apple for a few years now, but those guys have very very rarely been right. And I am talking about some generic guesses like "Apple will release the iPad in the spring, summer, fall, etc." Obviously! One of those guesses will be right.

Digitimes prints outright lies that they conjure up. Then this lie is repeated through the blogosphere and people begin to take it as truth. APPLE WILL NOT RELEASE A 7 INCH IPAD! That rumor has been going around since the FIRST iPad! 3 years later, still nothing!

Digitimes has such a notorious record, a Times writer felt the need to call it out.

Plain text link

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/14/digitimes-apple-rumors/

I want actual rumors, not BS or at best highly speculative hypothesizing by a group with such a dismal record of being even close to the ballpark.