Quicktime for Windows update brings host of security fixes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Quicktime 7.7.2 for Windows PCs to fix a total of 17 security vulnerabilities, most of which don't affect Mac users as patches were included in OS X software updates.

The issues addressed pertain only to computers running Windows 7, Vista or XP with service pack 2 or later, with 14 of the 17 flaws credited to research involving HP's Zero Day Initiative.

Many of the fixes in Quicktime 7.7.2 had to do with heap, buffer, stack and integer overflows when viewing maliciously coded files, while others dealt with memory corruption and file handling issues. All of the bugs caused unexpected program termination, arbitrary code execution, or both, though none were reported to have been exploited.

The Zero Day Initiative, founded by TippingPoint which is now part of HP, pays a bounty for independent researchers to find bugs which are subsequently passed along to software makers for resolution.

More information about the specific flaws can be found through Apple's Quicktime 7.7.2 support page while the Windows-only update can be downloaded here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hey, Apple, why not just clean up QuickTime X and release a better version for Windows and OS X? Just finish dropping off all the features of QuickTime 7 Pro into QuickTime X, fix the few display bugs it still has, and push it to Windows and OS X.

It'd be the cleanest, slimmest video player on Windows, that's for sure.

• Reply 2 of 8
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Is it just me, or can anybody else actually see the dust settling on this thread?

• Reply 3 of 8
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Hey, Apple, why not just clean up QuickTime X and release a better version for Windows and OS X? Just finish dropping off all the features of QuickTime 7 Pro into QuickTime X, fix the few display bugs it still has, and push it to Windows and OS X.

It'd be the cleanest, slimmest video player on Windows, that's for sure.

I love Apple as much as the next guy, but VLC on Windows is by far the best video player for that platform. Not a single format I've thrown at it that it cants handle, and uses a very minimal amount of memory.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

I'm sure we'll see new Quicktime X improvements in Mountain Lion.

• Reply 5 of 8
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

QuickTime for Windows is kind of a joke.  Have it for whatever subsystems that are needed for iTunes media playback and let it be.  Windows users have has Media Player Classic, VLC, and a ton of other media players at their disposal for years.

QuickTime for Mac, however, is great.  Well, at least the old QuickTime Player 7.  I've had a Pro license for many years.  QuickTime X is a rewrite that's missing many of the features I love and dumbed down many of the features it shares with QTP7.  QuickTime X does have its uses, though.

• Reply 6 of 8
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I still use QT7. X does essentially nothing put play media.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I still use QT7. X does essentially nothing put play media.

Have you used it recently?

All I see missing from QuickTime X is "Add to selection and scale", "Movie Properties", and "Show A/V Controls". Though that might be the Mountain Lion talking.

Movie Properties is the only reason I keep 7 around at all.

• Reply 8 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I love Apple as much as the next guy, but VLC on Windows is by far the best video player for that platform. Not a single format I've thrown at it that it cants handle, and uses a very minimal amount of memory.

I prefer MPC-HC myself but it's just a matter of opinion. QuickTime for Windows does suck though, wow. Anyone who thinks MS software sucks on Macs should see how bad Apple software sucks on Windows.