HELP! Jaguar giving me windows-esque problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is terrible. I never thought I would see the day os x would give me irrational problems. Both sherlock and address book are unexpectedly quitting after 1 or 2 seconds of being open. I really would rather not reinstall my os. has anyone had any problems like this? I have an 800 Tibook if that's of any help. Jaguar preinstalled. Thanks in advance.

-Felipe Lima

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i would say try booting of the Jag. CD, then running the disk utility.

do a repair, then fix permissions. see what that does for you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Also try trashing the preferences - do a search on address and sherlock and look for '.plist' and delete it. That's helped me a few times with problems like that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks Alcimedes and BRussell. As for trashing preferences, I can't because I can't search for anything. Another problem i've noticed since starting this thread is that any search done through the finder will relaunch finder. As for the disk utility, i'm not sure if i completely understand but I hope it'll be clear once i'm "there". As for now, i'm imaging my files and storing them on a friends machine in case I need to reinstall. Speaking of that, does anyone if there is any way to reinstall jaguar (or any mac os for that matter) without getting rid of all the third party software & personal files on your hard drive? Anyway thank you to both of you.

-Felipe Lima

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: vaultingat ]</p>