Apple issues fourth developer preview for Mountain Lion Server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Following the release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3, Apple on Thursday seeded the latest build for the operating system's server assets.

The most recent OS X Mountain Lion Server seed, build "12S219N," comes on the heels of Wednesday's Mountain Lion client build "12A206J" and is the latest developer preview to be released in the ongoing beta testing process that is scheduled to yield a gold master ready for public consumption sometime this summer.

A number of issues to be ironed out by developers include installing apps on iOS managed devices, a sporadic Spotlight problem in Xsan and SMTP server authentication in Mail. Also of note is a directory services bug that sees clients failing to bind to non-SSL-enabled Open Directory Servers.

Developers can download OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4 through Apple's Development Center.

The latest seed keeps with the monthly beta updates as the client version of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 was issued in April, which followed a second preview from mid-March.

Mountain Lion Server

Apple's next-generation operating system is set to further blur the lines between iOS and OS X with features like tighter integration with iCloud and geofence location alerts, among many others.

Mountain Lion is expected to be a tentpole topic at this year's WWDC as Apple has promised to show developers the "future of iOS and OS X" at the conference scheduled to start on June 11.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12

Since they've built the base code so well in Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. Mountain Lion is really just polishing the O/S and squashing bugs which isn't a bad thing. I'm hoping there will be some real new features for that $29 they are going to get from me.

• Reply 2 of 12
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

Does this mean they're going to go back into the server market?!?!?  HAHAHAHA... 

• Reply 3 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

The upgrades from Leopard Server -> Snow Leopard Server -> Lion Server were all horrible experiences.

• Reply 4 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm conflicted as to whether I should move from SL server to LIon server. There doesn't seem to be much advantage.

But I'm glad to see ML server. Apple's commitment to OSX server has seemed a bit in question recently. I wouldn't be disappointed if they decoupled OSX client from server. I don't want to be upgrading my server OS every 12 months.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm conflicted as to whether I should move from SL server to LIon server. There doesn't seem to be much advantage.

Push e-mail to iOS was the motivating factor for me to move to Lion Server, but it was painful. If I had waited several months for 10.7.3, perhaps it would have gone smoother. I'll never know.

• Reply 6 of 12

Quote:

But I'm glad to see ML server. Apple's commitment to OSX server has seemed a bit in question recently. I wouldn't be disappointed if they decoupled OSX client from server. I don't want to be upgrading my server OS every 12 months.

It seems like the change from Lion to Mountain Lion is much, much smaller than the change from Snow Leopard to Lion.  I imagine that we'll see smaller changes with only a 12 month cycle, and hopefully updating won't be too big a deal.  On the plus side with the faster release schedule we may see Apple keeping the open source components more up to date.  Usually they would pick a version of OpenLDAP or OpenSSL and you'd be stuck with that for 18-20 months until the next major version of the OS came out.

Also I hope ML server marks the end of Apple removing functionality from Server, and they start going back the other way.

• Reply 7 of 12
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Sad thing is 10.8 will only run on a 64bit Apple ROM.  I think that sucks.  My MacPro is a 2,1 and will not run Mountain Lion unless I have the os and then it still wont run stable.  AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 8 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

At this close to the release I would hold off if I were you.  I'm still having problems binding my OD and strange issues with workgroups.

• Reply 9 of 12
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

I'd wait if I were you. Lion (and ML, for that matter) have been buggy as all get-out for me. Unless you really need the few added features like push email to iOS like was mentioned above, stick with the stable build you're running now. I think ML is going to be great once the bugs have been worked out, but that's going to be months from now.

• Reply 10 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I'd wait if I were you. Lion (and ML, for that matter) have been buggy as all get-out for me. Unless you really need the few added features like push email to iOS like was mentioned above, stick with the stable build you're running now. I think ML is going to be great once the bugs have been worked out, but that's going to be months from now.

I don't need that feature at all (push email to iOS clients). 

I think I'll wait for a few .x updates to ML and then decide if its worth it to upgrade my server os. Frankly SL server works just fine for me. 

• Reply 11 of 12
    kakmankakman Posts: 14member

We will be clinging to Snow Leopard Server as long as possible - I can't see any reason to change until we're forced to buy new hardware.

• Reply 12 of 12

Does anyone know if snap back will be put back into Safari 5.2? I have a developer's preview and so far it's not there. I am assuming the gold master release will have this feature back in Safari.