Steve Jobs honored by presidents, celebrities in Webby Award tribute

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was memorialized by a number of notable people, including President Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton and U2's Bono, on Monday in a tribute video at the 16th Annual Webby Awards.

Actors Justin Long and John Hodgman, known for their roles as a Mac and PC in Apple's award-winning "Get a Mac" advertising campaign, introduced the tribute during the awards show, as noted by CNet.

Richard Dreyfuss, the actor who voiced the iconic "Crazy ones" commercial, honored Jobs with an enigmatic speech prior to the video. Interestingly enough, Dreyfuss began his remarks with a dig at Facebook and Google.

"Before we talk about Steve, I just want to say: Mark Zuckerberg, Eric Brin [sic] have you thought of the words quid pro quo? If you're going to take our privacy away from us, why don't you tell us something private about yourselves. And if you're going to change our world, why don't you pay for it, because it's theft," he said.

In keeping with the Webby Awards' tradition of limiting 'thank you's to five words, Dreyfuss concluded with a five-word phrase to describe Jobs: "Exception that proves the rule."

(See article for video)

The award show then played a short video in honor of Jobs that featured politicians, entertainers and even young students.

Rock musician Bono, who was a personal friend of Jobs, thanked him for "saving lives" with the RED campaign. The U2 singer spoke out in defense of Jobs' philanthropic efforts last year, citing his "invaluable" contribution to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS.

Filmmaker George Lucas thanked Jobs for "making technology into art," while former U.S. President Bill Clinton praised him for "spreading American ingenuity worldwide." Astronaut Buzz Aldrin credited Jobs "for exploring beyond our reach" and scientist Vint Cerf, often referred to as one of the "fathers of the Internet," thanked Jobs for "thinking different."

President Barack Obama said he only needed one word to describe Jobs: "amazing." Obama had previously honored Jobs during his State of the Union address in February.

Seth Myers, Arianna Huffington, Sarah Silverman, Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart also made appearances in the video.

Since his death last October, Jobs has been remembered in a number of ways. Apple itself held a company-wide memorial service last October. Meanwhile, a movie, a statue and a commercial airliner have all been dedicated to Jobs. The Apple co-founder was also awarded a posthumous grammy by The Recording Academy and a STAR award from the City of Cupertino.

Steve Jobs Statue
Copyright: Szabolcs Dud?s

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member

That piece of sculpture is super-creepy.

• Reply 2 of 18
    xavier83xavier83 Posts: 63member

Looks like Steve Jobs is throwing a gang sign up "westside!"    stevejobs.PNG          

• Reply 3 of 18
    Richard Dreyfuss:
    American Graffiti
    Jaws
    Close Encounters
    and now this.

Never realized just how under-appreciated this guy is.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Looks like Steve Jobs is throwing a gang sign up "westside!"    stevejobs.PNG          

If you ask me, that sculpture is horrible. It looks like Steve is in awe of his unusually long fingers. Either that or he is looking at how thin his fingers are after he sanded them down to test a 7" tablet touchscreen.

• Reply 5 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

I like the sculpture.  Steve caught in the act of getting a point across, focussed, determined, insightful!  (I would not want to have had Steve's finger pointing toward me though - no thanks!)

Also, good on you Richard Dreyfuss for your comments. (Although, a real-world Eric Brin would be both super smart and super... a quantum dilemma.)

• Reply 6 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I like the sculpture.  Steve caught in the act of getting a point across, focussed, determined, insightful!  (I would not want to have had Steve's finger pointing toward me though - no thanks!)

Also, good on you Richard Dreyfuss for your comments. (Although, a real-world Eric Brin would be both super smart and super... a quantum dilemma.)

I haven't seen it for real but yes, I like it, too. In addition to the above comment I have to say I imagine Steve's fingers were likely very expressive, generally. But the point of a sculpture is never to present an absolute likeness of anything. I mean Steve's wearing metal jeans! Life like sculptures are always slightly weird and this one is very different. Which is cool.

• Reply 7 of 18
    <p>
    <span style="color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-family: 'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(226, 225, 225); "> It looks like Steve is in awe of his unusually long fingers. </span></p>
    <div>
     </div>
    <div>
    g.gif</div>
  • Reply 8 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Steve Jobs was nothing but a revolutionary asshole who brought the PC to the masses, destroyed the music, movie, publishing, retail, phone, and mobile computing industries as we know them, and made animation entertaining.

Oh wait.

They're all good things...

You rock, Steve!!!

LL.png

mx_040KeanuReeves.jpg

• Reply 9 of 18
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

.......It looks like Steve is in awe of his unusually long fingers......

Quote:

Originally Posted by xieqin333 View Post

It looks like Steve is in awe of his unusually long fingers. 

What, is there an echo in here?

• Reply 10 of 18

Quote:

Not that I've noticed...

• Reply 11 of 18

Quote:

Not that I've noticed...

• Reply 12 of 18

Quote:

Not that I've noticed...

• Reply 13 of 18
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

IMHO, nothing more than pandering to Jobs' widow by the Dem Presidents to donate money to Barry Sotero's campaign!  :(

Although I strongly doubt his eligibility to even run, much less be President:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/articles/2012/05/21/20120521arpaio-obama-birth-funding.html

• Reply 14 of 18
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Your browser does not support iframes.

Um, really? I'm using Safari 5.1.7.

• Reply 15 of 18
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Um, really? I'm using Safari 5.1.7.

I got that too.

AppleInsider: We improved it.

But, unfortunately in a backwards direction that doesn't support either the iPhone or iPad, which we deemed appropriate for a site that deals in Apple information.

(Sol, I also feel your pain in using your iPad on this site. I've gone back to using a MBA when commenting)

• Reply 17 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I got that too.

AppleInsider: We improved it.

The forum software does not allow iframes in the comments as a security restriction. The error message is a bit misleading.

• Reply 18 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »
    The forum software does not allow iframes in the comments as a security restriction. The error message is a bit misleading.

It does look like an artifact of the forum's story posting system.

The usual pattern of linking back to the article on the main site seems to have gone away with the transition too.