Samsung says lawyers didn't design new Galaxy S III smartphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung has again contended that the design of its smartphones, including the new Galaxy S III, has not changed due to litigation from Apple.

"Our change in smartphone design is part of a five-year plan, not a sudden turn-around," Samsung design Vice President Chang Dong-hoon told reporters at the 2012 Seoul Digital Forum, according to The Verge.

The curved shape of the new Galaxy S III is a design that has gone through hundreds of iterations, he said, adding that Samsung is a market leader in design. Changes from the design of previous Samsung phones, including more curved sides and the lack of a black version, have led to speculation that the Galaxy S III was designed to avoid becoming a target of Apple's "trade dress" patent infringement lawsuit.

The Galaxy S III was unveiled early this month by Samsung as the company's new flagship Android-based smartphone. It features a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED screen and a 1.4-gigahertz quad-core processor, and runs Google's Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

Some Android enthusiast websites were unhappy when the design of the Galaxy S III was unveiled, and speculated that the design changes implemented by Samsung were in response to Apple's lawsuits. An editorial at Android Police called the new phone "ugly," and declared it to be "the first smartphone designed entirely by lawyers," offering a detailed analysis of how the handset avoids Apple's trade-dress complaints.

Galaxy

Apple's suit filed in April of 2011 claims Samsung's products have stolen the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad in a number of ways. Specifically, Apple's suit asserts that its iconic iPhone design features a rectangular shape with all four corners uniformly rounded, a front surface dominated by a screen surface with black borders, a metallic surrounding frame, and an operating system with a grid of colorful square icons with uniformly rounded corners along with a bottom row of docked icons.

So far, Apple's legal action against Samsung has found some success, as a handful of injunctions have been lodged against various Samsung products for alleged patent infringement. This week, Apple won an appeal in the U.S. and subsequently filed for another injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, which could lead to it being pulled from selves as early as June.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook is meeting with Samsung CEO Choi Gee-sung in California this week in court-supervised mediation talks. The judge presiding over the patent infringement case between the two companies required that the CEOs become personally involved in hopes that a resolution could be reached out of court before the case goes to trial in San Jose at the end of July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    If there's nothing to the rumor, why even comment on it? No one has even heard the rumor about lawyers designing the phone except a few geeks on online forums - and most of them are going to stick with Android, anyway.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    wshuff4wshuff4 Posts: 47member

Designed for Humans . . . with Really Big Hands.

• Reply 3 of 65
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung has again contended that the design of its smartphones, including the new Galaxy S III, has not changed due to litigation from Apple.

"Our change in smartphone design is part of a five-year plan, not a sudden turn-around," Samsung design Vice President Chang Dong-hoon told reporters at the 2012 Seoul Digital Forum, according to The Verge.

Way to confuse your more gullible readers, AI!

For those too lazy to follow the link to the source, here's the quote from the Verge: "When the question was put to Samsung design VP Chang Dong-hoon earlier today, though, he denied any such thing." 

So, he didn't say it out of the blue, he was replying to a direct question.

• Reply 4 of 65
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Way to confuse your more gullible readers, AI!

For those too lazy to follow the link to the source, here's the quote from the Verge: "When the question was put to Samsung design VP Chang Dong-hoon earlier today, though, he denied any such thing." 

So, he didn't say it out of the blue, he was replying to a direct question.

Are you saying the quote Apple Insider is using is a lie?  

It seems to me that if your quote and their quote are both true, then Apple Insider's characterisation of the event is true.  The only way it can really be a misrepresentation is if the quote they use is entirely fabricated. 

• Reply 5 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It seems to me that if your quote and their quote are both true, then Apple Insider's characterisation of the event is true.  The only way it can really be a misrepresentation is if the quote they use is entirely fabricated. 

Moreover, this (weirdly defensive) part of the quote makes it a perfectly valid story: "....not a sudden turnaround...."

• Reply 6 of 65
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

An editorial at Android Police called the new phone "ugly," and declared it to be "the first smartphone designed entirely by lawyers," offering a detailed analysis of how the handset avoids Apple's trade-dress complaints.

I guess good design is hard eh?

Nokia has good looking kit...I like the design of the Lumia 900.  The cyan one is very striking.

• Reply 7 of 65
    pjerkypjerky Posts: 1member

This whole litigation of Samsung by Apple for such simple and widely used design aspects just goes to show how truly corrupt Apple is with power. It also shows that they are really afraid of the strong competition that Android products are bringing to the marketplace. Android has already surpassed iOS as the most widely used mobile OS in the world.

This kind of competition is good and healthy. Instead of lashing out with lies, litigation, and vitriol Apple should instead be focusing on really innovating and inventing new technologies and products. That is how healthy competition works. Not bitching because someone else used a rectangular shape with rounded uniform corners. What are they going to complain about next? The use of wifi chips? Producing phones that have a touchscreen?

Seriously Apple your really grasping at straws with this one. It shows that you don't really know how to invent and your innovations involve taking pre-existing technology and packaging it in a smaller, prettier package together. La-de-freaking-da! Cowards!

• Reply 8 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, I'm saying that some were seemingly confused that Samsung's-statement-was-unprovoked-and-thus-suspiciously-defensive. It's a reasonable article for anyone with half a brain; moreover, AI did provide a link to the source for the more curious reader. However, the quote that I added supplied the additional info that Samsung's statement was a reply to a direct question, something that was missing from the AI report. That's why I also said AI would confuse the "more gullible" and "lazy" users. So don't get all up in arms, unless you feel that I meant you.

• Reply 9 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjerky View Post

This whole litigation of Samsung by Apple for such simple and widely used design aspects just goes to show how truly corrupt Apple is with power. It also shows that they are really afraid of the strong competition that Android products are bringing to the marketplace. Android has already surpassed iOS as the most widely used mobile OS in the world.

This kind of competition is good and healthy. Instead of lashing out with lies, litigation, and vitriol Apple should instead be focusing on really innovating and inventing new technologies and products. That is how healthy competition works. Not bitching because someone else used a rectangular shape with rounded uniform corners. What are they going to complain about next? The use of wifi chips? Producing phones that have a touchscreen?

Seriously Apple your really grasping at straws with this one. It shows that you don't really know how to invent and your innovations involve taking pre-existing technology and packaging it in a smaller, prettier package together. La-de-freaking-da! Cowards!

I'll let the pros take this one. image

• Reply 10 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

This whole litigation of Samsung by Apple for such simple and widely used design aspects just goes to show how truly corrupt Apple is with power.

That's phenomenal, cosmic power, thanks. They're currently working on the itty bitty living space.

Quote:

It also shows that they are really afraid of the strong competition that Android products are bringing to the marketplace.

Okay, competition in what regard? Not customer service. Not user experience. Not mindshare. Not profits. And not even usage stats.

Quote:

Android has already surpassed iOS as the most widely used mobile OS in the world.

Aside from virtually every survey showing Apple is being used and Android isn't. Sure, they've punched out more cookie-cutter devices than Apple. But as that's the only thing you can ever say, no one cares.

Quote:

Instead of lashing out with lies, litigation, and vitriol Apple should instead be focusing on really innovating and inventing new technologies and products.

Ah, the old, "Apple needs to innovate" sketch. I do so love this one! Come on now, give it the old college try! Why, and if I may be so bold, WHY, is Apple the only company in the industry allowed to innovate, hmm? Because not a one of the others is doing it. You answer me that with something that isn't nonsense and I'll maybe start taking you seriously.

Quote:

That is how healthy competition works.

Funny, I… could have sworn that you were talking about competition. Strange, because… you know, competition doesn't involve stealing your competitor's entire OS UI so that you can compete in their market.

Quote:

It shows that you don't really know how to invent and your innovations involve taking pre-existing technology and packaging it in a smaller, prettier package together. La-de-freaking-da! Cowards!

You know, I think we need more people like him here. That was the best laugh I've had in years.

• Reply 11 of 65

Quote:

...Cowards!

Yesterday, we got FletchG and forJAT, both first-time posters that came out with outlandish claims, which were subsequently shot down by the "pros". Today we get Pjerky...

All-too-convenient, "slapppy" style posters. I suddenly start thinking about my old Aunt Sally...

• Reply 12 of 65
    richsrichs Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Nokia has good looking kit...I like the design of the Lumia 900.  The cyan one is very striking.

I think I've seen that 'Lumia 900' design before...

nano5g.jpg

• Reply 13 of 65
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member

Quote:

"...Samsung is a market leader in design."

HA!  I needed a good laugh today!

• Reply 14 of 65
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

sure, because it is just a copy of the blue ipod nano stretched out a bit.  Someone had a picture on this forum a while back of the two side by side....Nokia copied Apple big time.

found it: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/134757/nokia-launches-first-windows-phones-to-take-on-apples-iphone-4s/80#post_1974874

• Reply 15 of 65
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bullhead wrote: »
    sure, because it is just a copy of the blue ipod nano stretched out a bit.  Someone had a picture on this forum a while back of the two side by side....Nokia copied Apple big time.

found it: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/134757/nokia-launches-first-windows-phones-to-take-on-apples-iphone-4s/80#post_1974874

Nonsense. They don't look even remotely alike other than the color.

I suspect that it was a stock color. When you request an anodized aluminum in medium blue, there probably aren't many choices.

Comparing the Lumia phone to an iPod nano is just plain silly.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And shape. And hardware design.

Quote:

I suspect that it was a stock color. When you request an anodized aluminum in medium blue, there probably aren't many choices.

Pretty sure you can get it in any color you want. Apple certainly has no problem doing that. And are they anodized? I could have sworn the last anodized product Apple made was the G5-cum-Mac Pro case. 

• Reply 17 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Now there's a thought....

• Reply 18 of 65
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Comparing the Lumia phone to an iPod nano is just plain silly.

Did you even look at the image?  The Lumina looks exactly like a stretched iPod Nano as it should since the copied it almost exactly.

More pictures....http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/.  Just stretch the ipod nano taller and a tiny bit wider and you have the cloner Nokia Lumina.

• Reply 19 of 65
    tricksytricksy Posts: 7member

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Have you even seen the iPhone next to the Samsung phone in question? It's a pretty blatant ripoff. If it weren't for the sluggish legal processes and tricksy lawyers this lawsuit would be over in an afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for diversity and competition, and I think there are excellent W7 and Android phones out there - competition leads to better innovation, better prices, and ultimately more choices for the consumer. However, what Samsung did in this case is just tasteless, and is on par with those ridiculous Chinese iPhone and iPad knockoffs. Whether you are an Apple fanboy or not, it's clear that Samsung should pay the full price for copy and pasting Apple's design.

• Reply 20 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bullhead wrote: »
    Did you even look at the image?  The Lumina looks exactly like a stretched iPod Nano as it should since the copied it almost exactly.

More pictures....http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/.  Just stretch the ipod nano taller and a tiny bit wider and you have the cloner Nokia Lumina.

Saying they look exactly alike is axiomatically wrong. There are certainly similarities but there are similarities in most products of the same category.

Where is the Lumia's click wheel? Where is the Nano's touchscreen display taking up the entire front? Where are the tapered top and bottom on the Nano?

They are both beveled but do not use the same curve unlike Samsung's design. Samsung even went so far to copy very minute aestheic details which are not the same as saying that because both are designed around one's hand and the properties of the electronics they are stealing each other's IP.