Rumor: Google, Asus to release joint 7-inch tablet in July

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Google and Asus are gearing up to release a co-developed 7-inch tablet in July with initial shipments of 600,000 units, according to a new unverified report.

Taiwan's DigiTimes claimed on Thursday that, according to sources from the upstream supply chain, shipments of the device will begin in June in preparation for a July launch.

"Google originally planned to release its entry-level 7-inch tablet PC in May, but design and costs did not reach its expectations, and the product was delayed to July for some minor adjustments," the report read.

Author Monica Chen said shipments of the tablet are expected to reach 2-2.5 million units this year.

DigTimes claimed in March that the co-branded tablet would be in the low-end price range and compete directly with Amazon's Kindle Fire. Sources said at the time that Google had chosen to work with Asus because of its "ODM capability and good product quality," while Asus reportedly agreed to the project to gain an in with Google on Android device development and enter the U.S. tablet market.

According to a report from the same publication late last year, Asus has set an internal goal for itself of shipping more tablets than netbooks in 2012. That's a tall order, given that Asus has been one of the world's largest netbook makers in recent years.

Google has also set a goal for itself with respect to tablets. Chairman Eric Schmidt said last December that his company would release "a tablet of the highest quality" within six months.

It's not known whether the rumored Google/Asus tablet is the device he was referring to. Some have suggested that the software giant would instead release a flagship tablet in conjunction with its new acquisition, Motorola Mobility.

Google announced on Tuesday that its $12.5 billion purchase of Motorola was finally complete. Motorola, which was one of the first vendors to release an Android tablet with its Xoom device, will operate as a separate business and Android licensee.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So could we not take every single rumor about orders for 7" screens as a sign of a new iPad now? image

• Reply 2 of 49
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    The kindle fire will likely be cheaper. Are they a glutton for punishment?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

I"m sorry but really AI are you this desperate for things to post. This has NADA to do with anything Apple. Stop with the not related Apple posts or rename the same Techinsider. 

• Reply 4 of 49
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Worse, this is a Digitimes rumor. It might as well be summarily tossed into the circular bin.

DigTimes (sic) is a hilariously unreliable source.

• Reply 5 of 49
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I"m sorry but really AI are you this desperate for things to post. This has NADA to do with anything Apple. Stop with the not related Apple posts or rename the same Techinsider. 

The least they could do is post a picture of a 7" tablet next to an Apple iPad.

Cute little guy!

• Reply 6 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Google originally planned to release its entry-level 7-inch tablet PC in May, but design and costs did not reach its expectations, and the product was delayed to July for some minor adjustments," the report read.

So, design and cost disappointments required minor adjustments!  Okay then... perhaps Apple should take inspiration from these companies!

• Reply 7 of 49
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I have seen the results of allot of the so called Android Tablets and I am not impressed.  Usually they cut out the capability to upgrade to the newer Android OS due to Hardware limitations.

by the way I think this tablet is better suited for a real competitor to Apples iPad.

http://liliputing.com/2012/02/265-spark-linux-based-tablet-shipping-in-may-pre-order-in-feb.html

• Reply 8 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I have seen the results of allot of the so called Android Tablets and I am not impressed.  Usually they cut out the capability to upgrade to the newer Android OS due to Hardware limitations.

by the way I think this tablet is better suited for a real competitor to Apples iPad.

http://liliputing.com/2012/02/265-spark-linux-based-tablet-shipping-in-may-pre-order-in-feb.html

Nice tablet but lets get real.  It's not the hardware-only aspect that the non-iPAd wannabes don't seem to get.  It's the entire package.  From great hardware, polished software, great OS, and the all-important curated ecosystem that puts iOS ahead by leaps and bounds.

These other players are doomed to fail for the simple reason is that they are not competing against iPad per-se but against themselves.  They each do their own flavor of Android, fragmenting in the process, placing their own interface over it, add in a horrible marketplace, malware, etc.. and you have the Wintel PC nightmare all over again.

The only people interested in these tablets are the tech-saavy people that frankly, have the time to waste in customizing their systems to such a degree that it is of no use to anyone else.

Joe/Jane Consumer wants simplicity and great hardware.  Apple provides both.  They also want to be able to have the same, consistent experience when the time comes to upgrade to the next best phone.  Again, Apple accomplishes that with ease.

So long as Android stick with the tech-community, have lousy suppers, inferior quality, etc..  they will always be at the bottom of the barrel.

There is no "Tablet" market.  There is really only an "iPad" market.  

• Reply 9 of 49
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Why would you even bother linking to this piece of junk? Specs-wise, it wasn't relevant even 2 years ago, it runs an unsupported OS, and it is still too expensive. There are gazillions of cheap tablets of this kind, and they haven't gotten any traction, quite understandably so. A waste of time and space, if you ask me...

• Reply 10 of 49
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

"Rumor: Google, Asus to release joint 7-inch tablet in July"

Shortly to be followed up by:

"Google, Asus to release joint 7-inch tablet in July release jointly lost billions to Apple's iPad. Unsurprisingly, me too product fails to wow consumers."

• Reply 11 of 49
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Why would you even bother linking to this piece of junk? Specs-wise, it wasn't relevant even 2 years ago, it runs an unsupported OS, and it is still too expensive. There are gazillions of cheap tablets of this kind, and they haven't gotten any traction, quite understandably so. A waste of time and space, if you ask me...

Well you know I think anything outside of android is better.  I am an Apple fan.  But I also like the fact that Linux is a great OS.  An on a portable I think its even better than Android.  So I would like to see a development of this for the future.  I would like to see maybe Ubuntu come out with their own version of a mobile linux os.  Also I can see a cydia (jailbreak app store) come out for the Linux tablet.  Maybe there will be a better version eventually.  Maybe it will take a firm hold in the states and the EU.  I honestly think competition is key and we need it to keep our economy growing.

• Reply 12 of 49
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Well you know I think anything outside of android is better.  I am an Apple fan.  But I also like the fact that Linux is a great OS.  An on a portable I think its even better than Android.  So I would like to see a development of this for the future.  I would like to see maybe Ubuntu come out with their own version of a mobile linux os.  Also I can see a cydia (jailbreak app store) come out for the Linux tablet.  Maybe there will be a better version eventually.  Maybe it will take a firm hold in the states and the EU.  I honestly think competition is key and we need it to keep our economy growing.

I don't think the OS is the issue with tablets, but the hardware. Lackluster hardware at exorbitant prices doesn't sell well. If you like simplicity and can afford it, get the iPad; if not, a $500 Android tablet is questionably a better choice than a $420 Sony VAIO Y or E Series notebook...

• Reply 13 of 49
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Yeah Yeah, Linux may be good and nice for all people who don't want to spend money for software (sometimes actually quite good software for that matter). Nevertheless there is almost no touch- optimized Linux based Software around. Thus with this device you may be even at a bigger loss then with the androidy-thingy's.

• Reply 14 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The issue with tablets is clearly software and infrastructure. Apple is so far ahead here it isn't funny!
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Well you know I think anything outside of android is better.  I am an Apple fan.  But I also like the fact that Linux is a great OS.
    As a long time Linux user I have to agree it is a great OS but unfortunately not supported by a modern GUI infrastructure. This means making suitable tablet apps is next to impossible. You of course can make tablet apps with a desktop GUI, but they are functionally pale compared to iOS apps.
     An on a portable I think its even better than Android.
    Android is pure evil.
     So I would like to see a development of this for the future.  I would like to see maybe Ubuntu come out with their own version of a mobile linux os.  
    While Linux itself might benefit from a little tweaking, the separate and real issue is large number of GUI libraries for Linux, none of which are really tablet suitable.
    Also I can see a cydia (jailbreak app store) come out for the Linux tablet.
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Come again? Linux has several good packaging systems for apps already.
     Maybe there will be a better version eventually.  Maybe it will take a firm hold in the states and the EU.  I honestly think competition is key and we need it to keep our economy growing.

Competition is very important as is Linux. However I've seen nothing to indicate that a serious replacement GUI for tablets is being worked on. That would be a compact lib built on C++11. Most of the GUI APIs (GTK/Gnome, QT and the like) are very old and fairly pathetic with respect to a modern touch device.

Now one might say that iOS and it's GUI comes from Next, a very old platform. That is true of course but iOS heavily reworks those old libs into something fresh and meaningful.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously? All the evidence clearly indicates that software drives iOS device sales.
    drdoppio wrote: »
    I don't think the OS is the issue with tablets, but the hardware.
    I'd really like to see how you came to that conclusion. Even today many Android tablets arrive on what could be argued is better hardware.
    Lackluster hardware at exorbitant prices doesn't sell well. If you like simplicity and can afford it, get the iPad; if not, a $500 Android tablet is questionably a better choice than a $420 Sony VAIO Y or E Series notebook...

First off Apple has a $500 solution. Second it is a mistake to lump notebooks with tablets, while each can do the work of the other to a certain extent, they are not complete replacements. Third I don't think there will ever be real competition from Android, that will have to come from MS or another company.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

If ya can't beat em', get two of the losers together and try again.

• Reply 17 of 49
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

HOW IS THIS APPLE NEWS??????

Why does AI bombard us with clickbait articles that have NOTHING to do with apple.

Windows phone sites do not carry news of apple rumors

Blackberry sites do not carry news of apple rumors

Android sites do not carry news of apple rumors.

But AI consistently carries rumors which have NOTHING to do with apple just so they can get fanboys in here arguing and get hits, just so they can make more from ads which, by the way, IS SERVED BY GOOGLE!!!

Stop it AI, this practice is disgusting. All it does is fatten google's pockets and cause the blood pressure of fanboys to go up with incessant arguing.

• Reply 18 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

HOW IS THIS APPLE NEWS??????

Why does AI bombard us with clickbait articles that have NOTHING to do with apple.

Windows phone sites do not carry news of apple rumors

Blackberry sites do not carry news of apple rumors

Android sites do not carry news of apple rumors.

But AI consistently carries rumors which have NOTHING to do with apple just so they can get fanboys in here arguing and get hits, just so they can make more from ads which, by the way, IS SERVED BY GOOGLE!!!

Stop it AI, this practice is disgusting. All it does is fatten google's pockets and cause the blood pressure of fanboys to go up with incessant arguing.

I must admit, between what you point out and the atrocious support for iPad the new AI redesign has I am finding I am returning to MacRumors more and more for my Apple news.

• Reply 19 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tylerk36 wrote: »

Or you could take 'cheap junk' to the extreme and get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Google-Android-Screen-Notebook-MAPX210/dp/B006DUYBRO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1337861051&sr=8-9

List price is $220, but you see them from most retailers for $75 or so, sometimes less. And one travel agency is giving them away for free.......
  • Reply 20 of 49
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    iOS is "linux"...except the linux has been rewritten for a touch screen by Apple. (thus no open source code in it... IMO)

Linux proper would be a great idea for a "generic" tablet, except that the linux desktop needs to be written for touch. and anyone that can do that for free is using the iPad, thus it won't happen.
    the ubuntu linux GUI is somewhat ok in it's design for a touch screen... but unbuntu is aready supporting a free OS already... :)