Rumor: Ex-Apple exec Tony Fadell's Nest thermostat to be sold in Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ex-Apple executive Tony Fadell, whom many consider to be the "grandfather of the iPod," will reportedly begin selling his Nest learning thermostat in Apple Retail Stores sometime in the near future.

According to blog iLounge, Apple will reportedly stock the Nest thermostat at its brick-and-mortar outlets in what would be an interesting addition to the stores' current product lineup.

If true, the move to carry a third-party item not directly associated with an Apple product, such as iPhone cases, speakers and other accessories, will be a rare exception to the retail outlets' traditional stock list.

Besides having an iPhone app and being created by former vice president of Apple's iPod division Tony Fadell, the Nest learning thermostat doesn't have any ties with the Cupertino-based company. The device itself is the first product from startup Nest Labs, which was founded by Fadell after he left Apple in 2010.

Released in late 2011, Nest analyzes a user's temperature settings and operating habits to help maximize energy savings. The thermostat mates a custom operating system with slick design elements, an advanced wireless controls and a user-friendly UI. HVAC operation is performed either on-unit or over a Wi-Fi network from a smartphone.

width=
Tony Fadell shows off the Nest learning thermostat. | Source: Nest Labs

Currently, the unit is offered through big-box home improvement retailer Lowe's and Nest's online store. The Nest thermostat will reportedly sell for $249 if and when Apple starts stocking the unit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Gollum, "My precious."

I ma still trying to learn how to paste a picture into this forum.

• Reply 2 of 51
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

$250 for a thermostat - LOL

• Reply 3 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

This product is gonna be sunken by the iCourts.

• Reply 4 of 51
    toothurttoothurt Posts: 1member

I bought mine 6 months ago and have loved it ever since.  I can set as many temperature points as I want on different times and days, and change them when needed from my mac or iphone.  Truly falls into line with the Apple mantra of not needing a manual to operate. Great idea to sell in Apple Store!

• Reply 5 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Is there a better, cheaper one that saves more money on energy?

• Reply 6 of 51
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

It'll take a while recouping the cost through energy saving.

• Reply 7 of 51
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Tim Cook is flushing this company down the toilet. What's next, televisions?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

What about the intelligent settings? Lost time and unnecessary fiddling is harder to process than energy.

• Reply 9 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I find it hard to believe Apple would stock a 3rd party item that was not an accessory to one of their own products. But on the other hand they have been very environmental lately.

• Reply 10 of 51
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    patranus wrote: »

A good programmable thermostat usually stars at$200. If used properly that will usually pay for itself in a year or two over the cost of a dumb t-stat.
  • Reply 11 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Yep. Energy has been getting more and more expensive for a while, and products like this have made sense. Obviously this reality is what the iPod inventor saw as a market opportunity.

But his timing is not so good as it was with the iPod, since with all the new energy reserves discovered in the central US, energy should start getting cheaper starting in 2013. Hopefully that cheaper energy is what is needed to finally get the economy out of it's funk.

• Reply 12 of 51
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is there a better, cheaper one that saves more money on energy?

I don't know about "better," but I have the Filtrete Wifi thermostat.  It's pretty slick, and does a great job imo.  They've improved the iPhone app a lot in the last couple of months, and it works a lot better now.  It was like $100 at Home Depot last fall.  That said, the Nest does look pretty awesome.

• Reply 13 of 51
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

I have 4 of these units running now for three months.  1 in my corporate office and 3 at home.

Already seeing a drop off in kilowatts used and the power bills are starting to drop as well.

To all those folks who think it's a mistake to sell these in Apple stores, well, home automation is a growing product segment and it seems like a natural fit to me.

• Reply 14 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Tim Cook is flushing this company down the toilet. What's next, televisions?

I am sure he greatly appreciates your sage business advice -- assuming, for the ridiculous sake of argument, that he had something remotely to do with a decision to sell something in Apple Stores.

• Reply 15 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yep. Energy has been getting more and more expensive for a while, and products like this have made sense. Obviously this reality is what the iPod inventor saw as a market opportunity.

But his timing is not so good as it was with the iPod, since with all the new energy reserves discovered in the central US, energy should start getting cheaper starting in 2013. Hopefully that cheaper energy is what is needed to finally get the economy out of it's funk.

what energy reserves???

you're just plain crazy if you think the USA has an effective energy policy that will lower energy costs to consumers.

that is just laughable.

• Reply 16 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This product is gonna be sunken by the iCourts.

iDunno about that.

• Reply 17 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

iDunno about that.

i, i, i...

• Reply 18 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

what energy reserves???

you're just plain crazy if you think the USA has an effective energy policy that will lower energy costs to consumers.

that is just laughable.

Perhaps you want to look in to the causes of the recent Seaway pipeline reversal.

• Reply 19 of 51
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Intelligent thermostats, bleeding edge file systems (zevo zfs), the tv set maker has some very talented people not working for it... Of course Tim Cook's apple has a lot to be proud of too, samsung's, lg's and sharp's retina screens, the new atv ui, os x lion, a great team of lawyers, an iPhone with a working antenna, 500,000 jobs created for ups drivers and car mechanics, a guy from dixons and curries working for them... But people are too hard on apple these days, they are envious, they accuse them of dodging taxes in Europe and elsewhere with no mention of their humanitarian efforts in China, where by working closely with their manufacturing partners they have made great progress in suicide net technology.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

I bought one two weeks ago.  We love it.  Absolutely brilliant.  It took me 10 minutes to install.