WWDC 2012 keynote to be held at 10 a.m. Pacific on Monday, June 11

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As expected, this year's Worldwide Developers Conference will kick off with a keynote presentation, scheduled to be held at 10 a.m. Pacific Time on Monday, June 11.

The date and time of the keynote was revealed in the official schedule for WWDC 2012 released on Tuesday. Developers can now visit the official site and sign in with their Apple ID to access the conference schedule and view session-related resources.

The developer-centric conference will feature a number of sessions to assist in creating applications for iOS and OS X, and as with previous years, the conference will begin with a keynote presentation. It is expected that Apple will use this keynote unveil iOS 6, the next major upgrade to its mobile operating system for the iPhone and iPad.

Aside from the time and date, details on the WWDC 2012 keynote are unknown. Apple's schedule does not provide any information on who might be speaking, but it is expected that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook will lead off the keynote presentation.

Not all sessions for this year's conference have been announced, which is a standard practice for Apple. The names of certain developer sessions likely will not be released until after the keynote, in order to not reveal any secret features of iOS 6.

WWDC

Also on the WWDC 2012 schedule are the annual Apple Design Awards, which the company originally announced in late April. The Apple Design Awards will take place Monday, June 11, after the keynote presentation, at 3:45 p.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Seems odd.

• Reply 2 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seems odd.

What seems odd here? The keynote begins WWDC.

As a side note this is likely where new laptops debut. Maybe some other hardware too. As such it is a date for everybody to keep track of.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Oh Apple, please announce a new iMac.

• Reply 4 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What seems odd here? The keynote begins WWDC.

Monday. That's what seems odd.

• Reply 5 of 25
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

I hope they do a live stream for this one but I won't hold my breath.

• Reply 6 of 25
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Monday. That's what seems odd.

WWDC keynotes are always on Monday to kick off the conference. They have been as far back as I can remember. I think you are confusing them with MacWorld Expo keynotes.

• Reply 7 of 25

To pick up what a previous poster said about a new iMac. My version would be "Oh Apple, please announce a new Mac Pro" (after 2 years it's about time and the hardware/CPU problem has gone away). Don't get me started... 

• Reply 8 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Yes, a NEW iMac.  The same design has been used for 7 years.

• Reply 9 of 25
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    I hope they do a live stream for this one but I won't hold my breath.

I hope they do.
  • Reply 10 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

Yes, a NEW iMac.  The same design has been used for 7 years.

Who cares about a new design? What's wrong with the current one? To what would you change it?

These questions have to be answered before something is changed. They haven't been.

• Reply 11 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Who cares about a new design? What's wrong with the current one? To what would you change it?
    the current design sucks big time! Change it into something serviceable for one.

These questions have to be answered before something is changed. They haven't been.

They have been addressed repeatedly by numerous posters. The current iMac design has ran its course and needs a complete overhaul to become more competitive. Apples entire desktop lineup is dying from neglect and a lack of focus on customer needs, so since the iMac is part of the lineup it needs to be overhauled.

You can plug your ears and stick your head in the ground but that won't change the fundamentals here. IMac is a very dated platform.
  • Reply 12 of 25

The only thing 'serviceable' that could possibly be added is hard drive access. That doesn't require a case redesign.

Quote:

…become more competitive… …dying from neglect… …lack of focus on customer needs… 

These sound like abject nonsense. In what way does it need to become "more competitive"? How is it "neglected"? And it seems you're rather out of touch with customer needs, which is completely excusable because of your focus on the high end.

• Reply 13 of 25
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

They have been addressed repeatedly by numerous posters. The current iMac design has ran its course and needs a complete overhaul to become more competitive. Apples entire desktop lineup is dying from neglect and a lack of focus on customer needs, so since the iMac is part of the lineup it needs to be overhauled.

You can plug your ears and stick your head in the ground but that won't change the fundamentals here. IMac is a very dated platform.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the iMac if you think of it like an all-in-one machine. Not meant to be easily upgraded, expanded, or serviced, similar to a laptop.

What I think is missing from Apple's Mac line is a decent mid-range desktop. Right now you have a Mac Mini which is capped at dual-core or quad-core with low speed. Or the massive expensive Mac Pro boat anchor. If Apple would just update the Mini to have at least the power and options of the top end iMacs, that would fill the gap.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

Quote:

You answered nothing here. All you did was spit out catch phrases.

• Reply 15 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

'Customer needs' like what? I'm serious. What kind of specific customer needs does the iMac and Apple's mobile line not address? Be specific. Keep in mind it's pretty much confirmed that the MBP line is set to be overhauled this quarter. 

• Reply 16 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

'Customer needs' like what? I'm serious. What kind of specific customer needs does the iMac and Apple's mobile line not address? Be specific.

Well, the xMac, I guess. He'll mention that.

Quote:

Keep in mind it's pretty much confirmed that the MBP line is set to be overhauled this quarter. 

Ah, but it still has "Pro" in the name (unless, hopefully, Apple decides to merge the lines). So that doesn't count. image

• Reply 17 of 25
    evilution wrote: »

Oh Apple, please announce a new Mac Pro.
    I know, long shot.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Apples entire desktop lineup is dying from neglect and a lack of focus on customer needs, so since the iMac is part of the lineup it needs to be overhauled.

I think Apple looks at their numbers, and they're outperforming the 'PC' industry Q over Q. They are the 'wise men' and not let emotions get in the way.
    techguy911 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the iMac if you think of it like an all-in-one machine. Not meant to be easily upgraded, expanded, or serviced, similar to a laptop.

I second that.
    techguy911 wrote: »
    What I think is missing from Apple's Mac line is a decent mid-range desktop. Right now you have a Mac Mini which is capped at dual-core or quad-core with low speed. Or the massive expensive Mac Pro boat anchor. If Apple would just update the Mini to have at least the power and options of the top end iMacs, that would fill the gap.

The Mac Pro is the cheapest Mac one can buy! They last something like 7 or 8 years, everyone I know just expands or replaces parts of it every now and then. Every iMac owner I know replaces theirs every 3 or 4 years, some after 2. Do the math and buy a MP. Do it now; if you wait for the latest and greatest you'll end up waiting all your life.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Oh Apple, please announce a new Mac Pro.
    I know, long shot.

What's wrong with the current one? I don't think my mid 2010 is outdated. Install a SSD PCIe card, and you're golden. If any Apple product is getting long in the tooth, it's Aperture. That is 26 months old!
  • Reply 20 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What's wrong with the current one? I don't think my mid 2010 is outdated. Install a SSD PCIe card, and you're golden.

New chips are ready, hence an update should be desired. No, certainly don't buy a new Mac Pro every single revision, but the current one is deserving of an update.

Quote:

If any Apple product is getting long in the tooth, it's Aperture. That is 26 months old!

*coughiWorkcough*