Apple CEO Tim Cook promises more social integration

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Even as he admitted that Apple may kill off its Ping social music discovery service, chief executive Tim Cook promised to add more social integration into its other products.

"Apple doesn't have to own a social network," Cook said in response to a question during the D10 conference. "But does Apple have to be social? Yes."

Cook pointed to deep integration of Twitter in iOS 5 and the addition of the feature in the upcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion as examples of the company's social initiatives. He also touted iMessage and Game Center as services that could be thought of as social.

"You'll see more things like that in the future," Cook reportedly said.

When pressed about the future of its Ping service, Cook admitted that he was "carefully avoiding" the issue. He said Apple had "tried Ping," but customers had voted and said they didn't want to "put a lot of energy into" it.

Tim Cook, Walt Mossberg, Kara Swisher

"Will we kill it? I don?t know. We?ll look at that," Cook said.

Apple released Ping in 2010 to much fanfare, but the service has not attracted much attention since then. Meant to promote social music discovery, Ping got off to an abortive start because it momentarily had Facebook integration before the feature was pulled. Then Apple CEO Steve Jobs said Facebook had demanded "onerous terms" that he was unwilling to agree to.

Ping

In spite of the two companies' disagreement, Cook said at the conference on Tuesday that Apple and Facebook enjoy a "very solid" relationship. He hinted of earlier hints that Apple and Facebook could work more closely together. Cook said to "stay tuned" for news Apple will do more with Facebook.

Visit AppleInsider's D10 archive for more of Cook's comments and ongoing coverage of the conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Now that Facebook's IPO didn't go so well, they may no longer think they are the second coming, and may be more willing to negotiate with other companies on reasonable terms.

• Reply 2 of 10
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Facebook will only negotiate if Apple can leverage mobile sharing of music better and faster than they can. Even then, they are now in it for long haul now that they are public. Being beholden upon Apple is no more attractive to them than it was for Steve Jobs by other companies technologies. That lesson from Apple success has been understood by Google (whose founders he mentored)  and I think now Facebook. 

Given that Facebook just plugged low hanging fruit of the social photo hole, I bet music is now the top priority. That will be harder due to licensing in which Apple and Amazon have huge lead. Even Google has not caught up in that regard,

• Reply 3 of 10
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

For the best social integration they could add hardware Facebook button on the left from the Home button, and Twitter button on the right. :)

• Reply 4 of 10
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Please give an option to NOT have social integration. For me it just clutters the screen.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Yeah. Apple needs to kill Ping and Google needs to kill Buzz 2... I mean Google+.

Ghost towns, both.

• Reply 6 of 10
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Facebook will only negotiate if Apple can leverage mobile sharing of music better and faster than they can. Even then, they are now in it for long haul now that they are public. Being beholden upon Apple is no more attractive to them than it was for Steve Jobs by other companies technologies. That lesson from Apple success has been understood by Google (whose founders he mentored)  and I think now Facebook. 

Given that Facebook just plugged low hanging fruit of the social photo hole, I bet music is now the top priority. That will be harder due to licensing in which Apple and Amazon have huge lead. Even Google has not caught up in that regard,

facebook doesn't have to start selling music. spotify and almost all the legal streaming sites already have facebook integration.

• Reply 7 of 10
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Please give an option to NOT have social integration. For me it just clutters the screen.

Yes please.  Let me turn off all references to Twitter and Facebook.  There are apps for that.

Let Facebook make its own phone, apps, even desktop computers.   There are so many more useful and empowering things Apple can deliver to the user.  

• Reply 8 of 10
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

No need to kill off Ping.  The idea is sound.  It's Apple's execution that's the problem.  I use Ping daily and have discovered quite a bit of new music through it from following friends and their purchases/likes.  Obviously I'm in the minority with that but getting Facebook (ugh, I hate them so) integration with Ping would help tremendously in bringing in new users.  Apple should also open it up from only music purchased through the iTunes Store.  Let people post about music they already have in their libraries.  Why limit to music, open it up to cover Movies, Books, Podcasts and Apps.

They've basically done nothing with Ping since it's launch and wonder why there's no real excitement around the service.  A little effort will go a long way in this space.

And yes, please give us the option to hide Facebook and Twitter integration in the OS.

• Reply 9 of 10
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Apple should integrate Last.fm scrobbling.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member

As someone who uses Twitter for light news and info, and as someone who a pretty regular Facebook user, I must say I'd like to see more integration.  They finally caught up in this regard in iPhoto.  I wouldn't mind seeing it expand, as long as it doesn't take over...that would be annoying as others have stated and implied.