Video shows taller front panel allegedly for Apple's next iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new video purports to show the front panel of Apple's next-generation iPhone, with space for a screen length appreciably greater than previous-generation models.

The video, posted on Thursday by Japanese site Macotakara, shows a component claimed to be the glass front panel from Apple's sixth-generation iPhone. When placed atop a current iPhone, the panel shows a component noticeably longer — long enough so that the hole for the forward-facing FaceTime camera sticks above the current iPhone.

The larger surface area for the screen on the glass panel suggests the new display would be long enough to pass the earpiece on current iPhone models.

The video even suggests that the next iPhone's screen could be even wider than current models, as the front glass panel features a slightly greater distance in that direction as well. However, the larger width of the new screen shown is not as pronounced as the greater length.

Like other claimed iPhone component leaks that have surfaced this week, the front panel pictured in the new video shows a relocated FaceTime camera placed above the earpiece, rather than to the left of it. That's consistent with a schematic picture that appeared online on Wednesday.

Rumors of an elongated form factor for the new iPhone were also bolstered with another alleged component that appeared on the Web on Tuesday, purporting to show the back panel of a prototype of Apple's next iPhone. That component featured a mostly aluminum back with what appears to be glass at the top and bottom of the device.

Earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal joined a number of mainstream media organizations in reporting that Apple has been ordering 4-inch screens for Apple's next iPhone. The new, larger displays are believed to be manufactured by LG Display, Sharp, and Japan Display Inc., and would be a departure from the 3.5-inch diagonal screen that has been found on every iPhone model to date.

While the iPhone's screen has remained the same size, many of Apple's Android-based competitors have adopted larger screen sizes. For example, Samsung's new flagship Galaxy S III smartphone, launched this week in Europe, features a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED display more than an inch larger than Apple's iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80

From the video alone, it doesn't even look like glass. It looks like a thin film of acetate.

• Reply 2 of 80
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member

Ok. It's 16:9 format now. A bit taller. Calm down people.

• Reply 3 of 80
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

It's weird to have this part, because last two iPhone models have the screen being part of the front glass. I think it's purposely leaked prototype by Apple.

• Reply 4 of 80
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I don't believe Apple has ever purposefully leaked a y Apple hardware. That's just not their style.

It should be stated that prototype hardware has leaked months in advance of final release. Back in January 2011, there was a leak of an antenna band we thought was for the Verizon iPhone, but turned out to be from the iPhone 4S. This stuff is decided months in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I don't believe Apple has ever purposefully leaked a y Apple hardware. That's just not their style.

Sure they have. Best way to find the people who are leaking and fire/sue them.

• Reply 6 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Any examples?

• Reply 7 of 80

but how will our delicate thumbs reach the top corners???!?!?!?!?!??!!

• Reply 8 of 80
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

"However, the larger width of the new screen shown is not as pronounced as the greater length." not a square then? had money on a square.

• Reply 9 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Any examples?

The mythical "iPhone 5" last year, for starters. Plenty of times before that, as well, for both computers and handhelds.

• Reply 10 of 80
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Any examples?

Quote:

The mythical "iPhone 5" last year, for starters. Plenty of times before that, as well, for both computers and handhelds.

So basically september11th, he's throwing around words but ultimately saying no... He doesn't have any examples of Apple intentionally leaking a prototype with the purpose to expose an employee who is leaking it so they can fire them.

• Reply 11 of 80
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member

I cry foul, that is just too tall.

• Reply 12 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So basically september11th, he's throwing around words but ultimately saying no... He doesn't have any examples of Apple intentionally leaking a prototype with the purpose to expose an employee who is leaking it so they can fire them.

Other than, you know, the post you quoted where I did exactly that.

• Reply 13 of 80
    kyrrakyrra Posts: 5member

Quote:

Agreed.  From my understanding, they will put new employees or employees they are skeptical about on fake projects (or give them fake information) to test and see if they leak the information to the public.

Apple is a company of secrecy, they want to make sure their top people are the only ones that leak information to the public.

Apple tries to limit the number of people that have access to hardware at any given time (even internally).  I've heard that they will take new devices (like a MacMini) and enclose it in a wooden box, with all edges sealed with security tape.  And even if you got inside the box, it will just be the internal components, not the enclosure those components will be put into.

• Reply 14 of 80
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

If this is not a fake, then it would make the most idiotic design decision ever.

We don't want a bigger phone, we want a bigger screen.

So instead just of making bezels thinner they enlarged the whole thing. Absurd! 

Also the new design will not help much reducing screen to body % area.

iPhone 4s is already one of the worst in this department:

3z9eX-640x441.png

• Reply 15 of 80
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

I'd much rather have a wider 4 inch screen than some ugly only taller skinny 4 inch screen. 16:9 is annoying for my tastes.  If this is the final display design and after some hands on time in the fall I don't like it, my 4S will be the last iPhone I own until I get a display that I am comfortable with.  Knowing Apple's history, they won't change displays again for a few years.  Again, this is only after I get some hands on time with it.  Who knows, maybe I'll like it.  But at this point, hate it.    

• Reply 16 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

We don't want a bigger phone, we want a bigger screen.

Which is what this provides…

Quote:

So instead just of making bezels thinner they enlarged the whole thing. Absurd! 

Smaller bezels are absurd, or so I hear. You need to have an area of non-contact around the edges.

And this device remedies that. I don't see your complaint in this regard.

• Reply 17 of 80
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Sure they haven't...

This looks just godawful, someone from apple surely must be leaking out a bs prototype they discarded so they can lower expectations and then "amaze" with the new phone, if not this then after lion and the atv interface they 've also lost their hardware mojo. 

• Reply 18 of 80
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Which is what this provides…

Are you in a reality distortion field? 

• Reply 19 of 80
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Ok. It's 16:9 format now. A bit taller. Calm down people.

Though the screen may change shape, I'm betting that the actual App real estate will be the same as the 3.5" displays, and developers won't have to change anything.  What we'll get is an actual dock for 'real' multi-tasking -- not the 'double-click-the-home-screen' thing.  So the iOS will be upgraded as well to give us a visual dock for running Apps, and/or maybe a place for customizable buttons.

That's my prediction.

-Carnac the Magnificent

• Reply 20 of 80
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Also the new design will not help much reducing screen to body % area.

Couldn't care less about it! Where do you see the problem? Is the phone going to be more useful?