Final countdown begins with 30 days until Apple shutters MobileMe

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
MobileMe users now have just 30 days remaining to download their photos and files from iDisk, Gallery and iWeb before Apple's service concludes.

Legacy MobileMe users began receiving e-mails this week warning that the deadline is fast approaching. The company originally announced a year ago that MobileMe will cease to exist as of June 30, 2012.

The deprecated service, which used to be offered for $99 per year, has been replaced by Apple's new, free cloud-based offering, dubbed iCloud. As part of that transition to iCloud, the iDisk, Gallery and iWeb services will no longer be offered.

Before MobileMe goes dark on June 30, users should log in to their account and back up and save all of the content that is stored on the Web in the iDisk, Galleries and iWeb services. A step-by-step tutorial on how to do this was published on Friday by Ars Technica.

For those who want to continue using Apple's cloud-based services, a MobileMe account must be rolled over to iCloud. The transition must be completed by June 30 for users who want to keep their Apple e-mail account, as well as calendars, working properly.

MobileMe

In April, Apple began attempting to entice users to upgrade to iCloud from MobileMe by offering them a free copy of Snow Leopard. The company has also granted MobileMe subscribers a free 20 gigabytes of storage on iCloud until September.

Apple is expected to announce further enhancements to iCloud later this month at its Worldwide Developers Conference. One report has claimed that Apple will launch a new photo sharing feature, while a beta website that was temporarily available to the public suggested Apple plans to add Notes and Reminders to the iCloud.com website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Wonder if Apple will announce an iDisk replacement in iCloud at WWDC… 

• Reply 2 of 40
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member

This transition to iCloud from MobileMe is going to be a major pain in the butt.

MobileMe has worked well for linking my Macs, iPad and iPhones.

I make great use of iDisk and like it better than DropBox.

This pisser is that I have to move to Lion and lose all my Rosetta apps, many of which have no new alternative.

Why do Windows users still get to use XP and we have to move up to Lion?

So the next couple of weeks are going to be a pain in the you know what.

• Reply 3 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr View Post

This pisser is that I have to move to Lion and lose all my Rosetta apps, many of which have no new alternative.

Other than Quicken, what do you use that still doesn't have a modern alternative?

Quote:

You say that as though using XP is some kind of privilege. image

• Reply 4 of 40
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member

My office hasn't moved to Lion yet, so I'll likely lose my Mobile Me (soon to be iCLoud) syncs here. I'm not happy with being pushed. Hard to push back though. :(

• Reply 5 of 40
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

A few days ago the email server stopped accepting my password for my mac.com email address, when I access it from a computer running Leopard.

I was under the impression that mac.com addresses would still work, if the person set up an iCloud account under Lion (which I have).

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Reply 6 of 40
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

"Why do Windows users still get to use XP and we have to move up to Lion?"

I'm in the same boat....I have an original intel iMac with SL (not able to upgrade to Lion). Yet I have an iP4s and and iPad2. So iCloud will work for two of my three Apple products. Sold my original MacBook, too.

Having said this, the answer to your question is....Apple has limited resources and I applaud them to focus on the future of technology as opposed to directing resources to "legacy" systems. It makes for better products overall.

I will just have to eventually buy an 11" MBA when my iMac gives up the ghost.

Best 

• Reply 7 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm in the same boat....I have an original intel iMac with SL (not able to upgrade to Lion). Yet I have an iP4s and and iPad2. So iCloud will work for two of my three Apple products.

You can use iCloud mail, contacts, and calendars with Snow Leopard and any previous version of OS X and iOS… 

• Reply 8 of 40
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

I was none too happy with Apple over the loss of the iDisk functionality but have moved over to free variations of Google Drive, Box.com, and Dropbox.  Obviously not as seamless but iDisk was but saving the $99 a year and I have no confidence if any of Apple's cloud products going forward.  I am using iTunes match but how long will that last before they shutter that and the rest of their rather sad iCloud offerings (e.g iWork) for something else or nothing at all?  

• Reply 9 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

I am using iTunes match but how long will that last before they shutter that and the rest of their rather sad iCloud offerings (e.g iWork) for something else or nothing at all?  

That's a little too pessimistic, isn't it?

• Reply 10 of 40
    cbumcbum Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Other than Quicken, what do you use that still doesn't have a modern alternative?

You say that as though using XP is some kind of privilege. image

Canvas.

There is nothing comparable, at least for my needs.

Suggestions welcome, BTW, but I'm stuck in Snow Leopard.

• Reply 11 of 40
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr View Post

This transition to iCloud from MobileMe is going to be a major pain in the butt.

MobileMe has worked well for linking my Macs, iPad and iPhones.

I make great use of iDisk and like it better than DropBox.

So the next couple of weeks are going to be a pain in the you know what.

Since Apple has been sending out these EOL notices my phone has been ringing off the hook from customers who are asking what they should when their iDisk, Photo Galleries, and web.me.com web sites go away. That's 8 customers in a day, within a 20 mile radius, in a Philly suburb. How many others across Appledom are in the same quandry. All customers were more than willing to pay the $99 each year for the ease of use to go from their Mac and iLife apps to web site or photo gallery. Two graphics designers used the iDisk Public folder to transmit large files to/from clients. I've suggested everyone contact Apple, even trying to contact Mr Cook since this is now in the home stretch and upper management are the only ones that can postpone the demise of those three key features.

I personally use my iDisk every day and my family is in worse shape than most of you, with 14 Macs between my children and Grandchildren only 4 can even run Snow Leopard and 2 of those Lion the rest are G3 and G4 iMacs with a couple PPC iBooks. I am also one who needs Rosetta to run those Legacy programs like Quicken, GoLive, and AppleWorks.

It would be nice if these Blog sites would do a survey like the one to keep the MacPro.
  • Reply 12 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbum View Post

Canvas.

There is nothing comparable, at least for my needs.

Suggestions welcome, BTW, but I'm stuck in Snow Leopard.

Sorry, I know nothing about it specifically, but is this the right one?

• Reply 13 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

A few days ago the email server stopped accepting my password for my mac.com email address, when I access it from a computer running Leopard.

I was under the impression that mac.com addresses would still work, if the person set up an iCloud account under Lion (which I have).

Has anyone else experienced this?

No, and I *always* use my @mac.com email address and have *never* used the me.com one.  

In fact I use that in my spam filter as all mail coming to me with the "me.com" prefix has to be spam by default.  

The @mac.com address should still always work, but if you are using some ancient software like Leopard it's possible it just has a bug in it or some fault when connecting to the more modern service. 

• Reply 14 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Since Apple has been sending out these EOL notices my phone has been ringing off the hook from customers who are asking what they should when their iDisk, Photo Galleries, and web.me.com web sites go away. That's 8 customers in a day, within a 20 mile radius, in a Philly suburb. How many others across Appledom are in the same quandry. All customers were more than willing to pay the $99 each year for the ease of use to go from their Mac and iLife apps to web site or photo gallery. Two graphics designers used the iDisk Public folder to transmit large files to/from clients. I've suggested everyone contact Apple, even trying to contact Mr Cook since this is now in the home stretch and upper management are the only ones that can postpone the demise of those three key features.

I personally use my iDisk every day and my family is in worse shape than most of you, with 14 Macs between my children and Grandchildren only 4 can even run Snow Leopard and 2 of those Lion the rest are G3 and G4 iMacs with a couple PPC iBooks. I am also one who needs Rosetta to run those Legacy programs like Quicken, GoLive, and AppleWorks.

It would be nice if these Blog sites would do a survey like the one to keep the MacPro.

Nothing personal but these customers are idiots and deserve whatever loss of data occurs.  It's been over a year (1.5?) at least since this was announced and every single person has received multiple emails over the intervening months with links to guides on what's going to happen and what to do about it etc. I know I have.  They should have moved their stuff a long long time ago.  

AppleWorks was "end of lifed" man, many years ago now.  Anyone still using it who hasn't converted their files is simply crazy IMO.  

It's the equivalent of being a Windows user, still using Windows 95 and CorelDraw 3.0 and signing on to AOL everyday to get the weather forecast.  

Edit: Also, the *oldest* MacPro there is came out *after* AppleWorks was retired for good. So it's really nothing like the Mac Pro situation at all.

• Reply 15 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple: Give me a viable challenger to DropBox that is as easy (or even easier) to use and I'll gladly fork over my storage fee dollars. 

Until then, I'll use my free 5GB iCloud service as much as I can, but my money goes to DropBox for the file-syncing and link-sharing features. There is really no beating a free account that can be expanded to around 20GB with referral bonuses and a few other treats that DropBox offers, without having spent a dime. Now take that free, fully functional (feature-wise) 20GB or so, and add that to the storage you get with a paid account and you really are golden. 

Where Apple has *really* got it right with iClous so far, is the deep OS integration. It's just seamless. 

• Reply 16 of 40
    cbumcbum Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, I know nothing about it specifically, but is this the right one?

Yes, that's it, and the suggested alternatives are not helpful.

c.

• Reply 17 of 40
    haballhaball Posts: 4member

Quote:

Actually, Intuit now has a $15 update to Quicken 2007 that is Intel and Lion friendly. 

• Reply 18 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I got one of these emails, and I transitioned to iCloud many months ago. A bit strange.

• Reply 19 of 40
    jetlife2jetlife2 Posts: 11member

I moved almost all of my idisk content to Dropbox and I love it. It just works. In fact, from the Finder, it is much faster than idisk ever was, and I love the ios and Windows sync . I even use it for my offline storage for some Backup needs. With a few referrals I was able to get my Dropbox up to enough free space for my needs.

For mail I migrated to Mail.app successfully using these instructions:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudmail.html

and it worked without a hitch (I am on SL). I retained my .mac email address and it works fine.

So that leaves me with just one unfilled need: web hosting. I wish I could host direct from my Dropbox folder, then I would be in great shape.

Any recommendations for a hosting service?

So far I am not missing mobileme at all, but this is the last gap to plug.

Thanks

• Reply 20 of 40
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    How about using parallels and windows?