Will a G4 Cube factory graphics card work in a PowerMac G4 tower?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm looking to replace a Rage 128 Pro from a G4 400 (Gigabit Ethernet, ADC) tower, and I've got my eye on an nVidia Geforce 2 MX (ADC) from a Cube.

Are Cube cards the same size and connections as those for a Powermac G4 tower?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Yep, it will work a treat: AGP slots is AGP slots, and ADC-equipped cards is ADC-equipped cards.

Though shame on you for mucking up a perfectly working Cube.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Many thanks for the ultra-swift reply!!!

That's very helpful indeed.

The Rage 128 Pro seems to have gone funny, the display is all stretched and messed up.... and this Cube card is on eBay, so it's not my fault!

Thanks again!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Ah, fair enough: the deed is done. Don't pay silly money for it though: some folks on eBay go a little potty...

Funnily enough I have a Rage 128 Pro sitting on the shelf and a GeForce 2 MX in my Cube... I think I paid about £170 for it in the summer. Actually, <a href="http://Shaye.co.uk"; target="_blank">Shaye Computing in London</a> who I got it from have one right now for £199 (do a search for Geforce). They're not the most customer-friendly company I've ever dealt with, but they know their stuff, and I've never heard anyone complain about them.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Peerpee,

Consider holding off a bit for a Radeon 9000 Pro. I believe you can send in your non-functional Rage for a $50 rebate from ATI, probably bringing the 9000's price down to $149. Consider this because the 9000 Pro has ADC and DVI (can drive 2 digital displays) and also has performance just below that of the 8500. Also, the 9000 Pro will support your AGP 2x bus right out of the box. This is what I intend on doing with my G4 400 Gigabit Ethernet, since my Radeon 7500 (w/ ADC off ebay) is beginning to feel pokey in games (drools over the 9000 Pro). Something you might want to think about...

Blueflame
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I was looking at the nVidia in the hope of being able to do DVD screengrabs in Jaguar. It pisses me off no end that I can't at the moment with my Rage 128 Pro.

Are DVD screengrabs possible on the Radeon?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I don't know whether it is possible with the 9000 Pro, but I do know that I cannot screen grab DVDs with my Radeon 7500.

Blueflame
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think that's a function of the OS. You need a utility like DVD Capture in order to take screen captures during DVD playback. It's really stupid that you can't just use command-shift-4 to take a picture but whatever, there's a workaround, so I'm not really unhappy about it.

Watch out, though. On VersionTracker, the version of DVD Capture is 1.5, which apparently hasn't worked with ANYONE who's tried it (including me). It immediately quits upon launch. I have version 1.0 on my computer from eariler, and it works fine (not very user friendly, but it gets the job done). If you want it you can send me a private message with your email address and I can send it to you, it's only 136 kb.