Banner confirms iOS 6 appearance at WWDC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As preparations for Apple's WWDC hit full swing, banners being installed by workers at Moscone Center give some insight into probable conference highlights including iOS 6, Game Center and others.

A host of banners being installed on Friday, captured by an enterprising CNET photographer, tease passersby of the software and tech set to be unveiled, the most notable being a dedicated iOS 6 banner complete with new logo signaling that the mobile OS may see a formal debut next week.

Other promotional hangings tease what looks to be a revised Game Center for Apple's upcoming OS X Mountain Lion as well as possible added functionality to AirPlay, the wireless protocol used to connect iDevices to TVs and computers.

Workers started decking out the San Francisco convention center earlier this week when they put up a huge Apple logo on the glass windows that adorn the perimeter of the hall. It looks as though the internal installations are now taking shape, and the usually secretive company doesn't seem to be overly concerned with stealth this year as the banners installed thus far are not concealed as they have been in years past. This is not to say that Apple won't have something up its sleeve for WWDC as the company usually keeps its most exciting announcements like new hardware under wraps until the last possible moment.

iOS 6
WWDC iOS 6 banner. | Source: CNET

Along with iOS 6, Apple is expected to announce new laptops at WWDC and AppleInsider has learned that the company may be introducing an entirely new model to fill the gap between the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

It has been speculated that the iPhone maker will also debut a new iOS map app that will use proprietary technology to offer users an unparalleled photorealistic 3D experience. Apple is expected to end its reliance on Google Maps with the new app, further differentiating iOS from the internet search giant's mobile offerings.

Apple will be holding its annual conference from June 11 through June 15 and will kick off the festivities with a keynote on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacfic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I rally don't understand why we are going from iOS 5.1.x to iOS 6.  Why not iOS 5.5?  Why such the jump in numbers?  Maybe I am not up to par on how the nomenclatures are done for os.

• Reply 2 of 49
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Is that photo half censored or is my browser simply failing to download the entire picture?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I rally don't understand why we are going from iOS 5.1.x to iOS 6.  Why not iOS 5.5?

Because this is how they always do it… Do you not think the changes warrant a new primary number? Chrome's on 13 or 14. It should be on 4. Mac OS 9 went from 9.2 to 10.0. iPhone OS 1 went from 1.1.5 to 2.0. They do this every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is that photo half censored or is my browser simply failing to download the entire picture?

I think they forgot to upload half the picture.

• Reply 4 of 49
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Censored - the guys hanging the poster are not wearing pants!

• Reply 5 of 49
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

This is giving me deja vu to surfing the web with my 28.8K modem.

• Reply 6 of 49
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    I rally don't understand why we are going from iOS 5.1.x to iOS 6.  Why not iOS 5.5?  Why such the jump in numbers?  Maybe I am not up to par on how the nomenclatures are done for os.

We'll I am not complaining about that nor would I worry about new features being added. ;)

What has me scratching my head and Wondering why the rumors aren't speculating that there would be a new iPhone debut?

I know reports aren't showing a order or manufacturing of iPhones as of yet, so it makes sense that it would be released later in September or October.

But hasn't apple always released a new iPhone along side the new iOS?

Maybe last year it wasn't? If memory serves me correctly.

Could it be possible they will announce the new iPhone?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

What is the subliminal meaning of the lines behind the numeral 6?

• Reply 8 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

What has me scratching my head and Wondering why the rumors aren't speculating that there would be a new iPhone debut?

Because that makes absolutely no sense. iOS gets months in beta with developers before it is released and the new iPhone always has the newest version of iOS. We're months away.

Quote:

But hasn't apple always released a new iPhone along side the new iOS?

Yes, released! Not shown. They're showing right now.

Quote:

Could it be possible they will announce the new iPhone?

Do you have any idea of the amount of entitled whining we're going to have to deal with on the forums come Monday when Apple doesn't release a brand new model of every computer they sell, plus retina displays for all of them, plus a new AirPort family in 802.11ac, plus a Thunderbolt SuperDrive, plus iOS 6 with their own Maps and spoken, automatically updating turn-by-turn, plus Facebook integration, plus a new design for the OS, plus Siri for the iPad, plus an Apple TV development suite for regular developers (because they don't deserve it at all; it should go to content creators only), plus a brand new, never before seen app called "Organize" or some such, plus an iDisk replacement, plus a Gallery replacement, plus Mountain Lion "fixing" everything that was broken in Lion, plus Siri on OS X, plus voice dictation for writing documents, plus Maps for OS X, PLUS… 

We don't need to pile "sixth iPhone" or "Apple HDTV" on top of that. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

People say it looks like a thumbprint, which means the next iPhone will have fingerprint recognition. They're idiots. It's just a ripple.

• Reply 9 of 49
    mstone wrote: »

That's been their thing since the retina display. They always add some sort of fine detail in the app window to show that if you gaze lovingly at the screen long enough you can appreciate even more detail.

Lol

I love that. Makes android app screen icons, at least most I've seen, look dated and uninspired.
  • Reply 10 of 49

In a similar copywriting issue of the 'great ideas become...' from the other day...

I disagree with designers who put a period at the end of a title that is not even a complete sentence.

• Reply 11 of 49
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's a ripple water effect. I bet it means the return of the classic Aqua theme! I kid. Although I am getting tired of the gray-on-gray blandness that Apple keeps skewing towards with each OS release.

• Reply 12 of 49
    Because that makes absolutely no sense. iOS gets months in beta with developers before it is released and the new iPhone always has the newest version of iOS. We're months away.

Yes, released! Not shown. They're showing right now.

Do you have any idea of the amount of entitled whining we're going to have to deal with on the forums come Monday when Apple doesn't release a brand new model of every computer they sell, plus retina displays for all of them, plus a new AirPort family in 802.11ac, plus a Thunderbolt SuperDrive, plus iOS 6 with their own Maps and spoken, automatically updating turn-by-turn, plus a new design for the OS, plus Mountain Lion "fixing" everything that was broken in Lion, plus Siri on OS X, PLUS… 

We don't need to pile "sixth iPhone" on top of that. :lol:

People say it looks like a thumbprint, which means the next iPhone will have fingerprint recognition. They're idiots. It's just a ripple.

I should have rephrased my question. I didn't mean released as in ready for purchase, I meant just a keynote Debut.

I see your points about how much can be slung into one keynote. But then again, these are all rumors remember.

Most likely they'll will be no iphone debut. I just am curious as to their strategy.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

So iOS6 should be for the 4s iphone, right?

Anybody know if iOS6 will have Apple's new mapping service in it?

• Reply 14 of 49

Quote:

They always add some sort of fine detail in the app window to show that if you gaze lovingly at the screen long enough you can appreciate even more detail.

But I thought everything was about simplicity. There is really no need for that in my opinion. It already has a reflection. That should be enough. Probably didn't even need the blue background just a rounded rectangle or just the number.

• Reply 15 of 49

Quote:

I didn't mean released as in ready for purchase, I meant just a keynote Debut.

So they announce now, shipping in months, and kill sales of all phones for months, losing billions of dollars? No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Yes. iDevices get three versions of iOS: the one with which they originally shipped and two updates. Which means the first iPad isn't going to get iOS 6, even though the iPhone 4 will. JUST YOU WATCH. JUST YOU WATCH THEM DO THAT.

Quote:

How could we know that? We don't even know if they have one.

• Reply 16 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Promotional hangings? Killer!

• Reply 17 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Promotional hangings? Killer!

image Gallows humor I love it.

• Reply 18 of 49
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Yes. I am sure someone knows. 

• Reply 19 of 49
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Do you have any idea of the amount of entitled whining we're going to have to deal with on the forums come Monday when Apple doesn't release a brand new model of every computer they sell, plus retina displays for all of them, plus a new AirPort family in 802.11ac, plus a Thunderbolt SuperDrive, plus iOS 6 with their own Maps and spoken, automatically updating turn-by-turn, plus Facebook integration, plus a new design for the OS, plus Siri for the iPad, plus an Apple TV development suite for regular developers (because they don't deserve it at all; it should go to content creators only), plus a brand new, never before seen app called "Organize" or some such, plus an iDisk replacement, plus a Gallery replacement, plus Mountain Lion "fixing" everything that was broken in Lion, plus Siri on OS X, plus voice dictation for writing documents, plus Maps for OS X, PLUS… 

Oooh, Oooh!  I DO!! I DO!!

• Reply 20 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Oooh, Oooh!  I DO!! I DO!!

Yes, you in the front! Care to guess how many individual posts (or threads created) there will be that do just this?

There's no prize, mind, and I'm not actually going to count all of them, anyway. image

Okay, know what? I will. Remind me to do it. I'll only be counting Monday's, from 9AM PST to midnight EST.