Apple announces WWDC 'Lunchtime Sessions' with J.J. Abrams, LeVar Burton and William Joyce

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Friday announced that three "Lunchtime Sessions" at WWDC will feature talks by Hollywood heavyweights J.J. Abrams, LeVar Burton and William Joyce.

The hour-long sessions will all take place in Presidio and feature the three speakers' views on how technology is helping to facilitate the changes seen in modern storytelling and how each use cutting-edge tools to bring their visions to life.

TV and movie star Burton (Star Trek, Reading Rainbow) is said to be outlining the "powerful impact that his mentors, technology, storytelling and science fiction have had on his life" and will demonstrate how he uses today's technology to educate in the upcoming Reading Rainbow App. Burton is set to speak on Wednesday from 12:45 p.m.

William Joyce, Creative Director and Partner at Moonbot Studios, is set to speak about how his company is "changing the content world as fast as it can." Joyce will start his talk on Thursday at 12:45 p.m.

Science fiction filmmaker J.J. Abrams (Lost, Super 8) will speak about his love of mixing analog tools with modern moviemaking technology and "how he wrestles with what he sees as both the freedoms and challenges presented by today?s prosumer gadgetry." Abrams' will wrap the week up on Friday, speaking at 12:45 p.m.

Lunchtime Sessions
From left: LeVar Burton, J.J. Abrams and William Joyce. | Source: Apple

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    wookie01wookie01 Posts: 54member
    Go Lieutenant Commander
  • Reply 2 of 20

"In related news, LeVar Burton creamed himself when described as a 'hollywood heavyweight' by one media outlet."

• Reply 3 of 20
    fast fredfast fred Posts: 24member

ooooh  it's...  Kunta Kinte

• Reply 4 of 20
    fast fredfast fred Posts: 24member

• Reply 5 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

The man reboots Star Trek and you credit him only with Lost and Super 8?

• Reply 6 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post

Only a bigot would cite LeVar as a slave in Roots instead of his Science Fiction roots in Star Trek.

• Reply 7 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Mr J. J. Abrams - the director of a Star Trek movie who has worked with some of the most advanced technology the world has ever seen.

Doors that go 'Pssssht' when they open and close.

(Just watch out for the vertical ones...)

futurama_tv_show_image_sliding_door_01.jpg

• Reply 8 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Only a bigot would cite LeVar as a slave in Roots instead of his Science Fiction roots in Star Trek.

Agreed, I'd say that deserves a life time ban after his 9 posts.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Look at them. Hollywood big shots. I bet they all use Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ew. Particularly considering his first one, I think… I'll bring it up.

• Reply 11 of 20
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Reading rainbow is brilliant but his role on star trek was not much more than a throw away character until the films. He was not much more than an emotional tissue until his character truly evolved in the films . Besides who are you to say that his role in roots was more or less significant than what he has done since. Maybe he considers that his simonal role?

JJ in my opinion deserves a kick in the nuts. Decent Trek reboot but totally fucked the history and timeline.
  • Reply 12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

JJ in my opinion deserves a kick in the nuts. Decent Trek reboot but totally fucked the history and timeline.

Time travel'll do that.

• Reply 13 of 20

Quote:

That was a brilliant creative move. Unlike other franchise reboots that completely pretend the previous versions never existed, the Trek reboot says, sure, the old timeline totally happened, but sprinkle some time travel dust around and we got ourselves an alternate timeline. You can reboot characters and situations without worrying about changing it up, following canon. Have cake, eat too.

• Reply 14 of 20
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Time travel'll do that.

Lazy writing will do that....
  • Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Lazy writing will do that....

*coughTreknobabblecough* image

• Reply 16 of 20
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Reading rainbow is brilliant but his role on star trek was not much more than a throw away character until the films. He was not much more than an emotional tissue until his character truly evolved in the films . Besides who are you to say that his role in roots was more or less significant than what he has done since. Maybe he considers that his simonal role?

Agree on both counts. I think it's not remotely racist to bring up Kunta Kinte, as it was not only Burton's breakout role but by far his most meaningful and emotional. Is it racist to say that Denzel Washington played Malcolm X or that Will Smith played Ali? No, in fact it's racist to claim citation of these facts are racist.

As for Abrams, Star Trek was a good film but he really did take severe liberties with canon that are harder to digest over time, not easier.

• Reply 17 of 20

J.J. released a Star Trek parody, à la Galaxy Quest, not a Star Trek movie per se. Although I've gotta say, I wouldn't object to taking a ride on a beer-powered starship either. :)

• Reply 18 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fast fred wrote: »

Don't you mean Toby?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

To be stoned to death first, then banned.

• Reply 20 of 20

I wish I'd signed up earlier, but:

"YOU CAN'T DISAPPOINT A PHOTO!"

I am curious to see how the Reading Rainbow app is going to work, simply because I'm happy to hear that Reading Rainbow is coming back.  That show was a cornerstone of my growing up alongside buckets of Lego bricks and the Warner Bros. animation block (Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/B:TAS).