Revised Cupertino campus plans show revised underground auditorium

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday filed updated plans for its new Cupertino campus that include a few changes to underground facilities as well as more detailed renderings of the spaceship-like building set to finish construction in 2015.

The Apple Campus 2 project documents, made available through the Cupertino City Council's webpage, offer a fairly comprehensive peak at the futuristic campus with new views of what the company is planning to build in the vast underground space beneath the main structure.

While the proposal is still pending authorization from Cupertino officials, Apple has been busy laying out specs for basketball courts, exercise rooms and auditoriums. The plans expose the floor plans and overall layout of the circular multi-story building as well as specifics regarding the acres of trees and pathways that criss-cross the grounds.

Most of the plans remain unchanged from the original filings, however underground rooms like the planned amphitheater and auditorium where Apple will hold press conferences and company meetings. The revised basement levels will join a below-ground parking structure that will hold 4,300 cars.

Auditorium
Apple Campus 2 underground auditorium. | Source: Cupertino.org

Rendering

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs announced plans to build the campus in 2011, saying that he expects the building to hold 12,000 employees. The iPhone maker bought the roughly 150 acres of land from HP and plans to break ground later this year pending city approval.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Not impressed with the pictures. I quess most of them have been redacted to meet Apple's security concerns.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hlevolvehlevolve Posts: 6member

yeah that portion of sky and a couple lines look nice

• Reply 3 of 14
    in the spirit of wwdc, perhaps the rest of the pictures will be made available after the conference starts.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Underground bunker? Stargate Command?

• Reply 5 of 14
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not impressed with the pictures. I quess most of them have been redacted to meet Apple's security concerns.

Did you follow the links to the many pages of blueprints and numerous renderings??? They looked very complete and impressive to me! Certainly a much more complex scale than most buildings in the Valley - The auditorium complex is dwarfed by the main structure - just a small appendage linked by a tunnel... Had to laugh at one of the renderings though - not sure if it is trying to show the fog coming in, or the smog!

• Reply 6 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member

An underground auditorium could have next to no mobile network access, and the public access wifi turned off for important sessions.  

• Reply 7 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ebergh wrote: »
    Did you follow the links to the many pages of blueprints and numerous renderings??? They looked very complete and impressive to me! Certainly a much more complex scale than most buildings in the Valley - The auditorium complex is dwarfed by the main structure - just a small appendage linked by a tunnel... Had to laugh at one of the renderings though - not sure if it is trying to show the fog coming in, or the smog!

It's called a joke. You really don't think I actually thought those broken uploads were censored, did you?

Lighten up!

Here are some good ones:

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=26&recordid=696
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member

Sorry, long week for literal minds...

• Reply 9 of 14
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Auxiliary Bunker for when the ship is in space orbiting the planet.  People can still work on the ground while the ship does it's space experiments for future technology.

• Reply 10 of 14
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Most of the plans remain unchanged from the original filings, however underground rooms like the planned amphitheater and auditorium where Apple will hold press conferences and company meetings.

Well . . . I'm certainly Glad AI has clarified that that for us.

• Reply 11 of 14
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's called a joke. You really don't think I actually thought those broken uploads were censored, did you?

Lighten up!

Here are some good ones:

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=26&recordid=696

Thanks for the link.  Check out the before and after for the landscaping view: https://s3.amazonaws.com/apple-campus2-project/Site_Plan_Submittal_4.pdf

It's easy to scoff at "it's just a big circle" and act like there is nothing visionary about this.  Then notice that the entire enormous parcel of land is currently 80% parking lots.

• Reply 12 of 14
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

What's the big circle to the right of the auditorium?  I can't read the size .001 font in the image above and the PDFs are so big they were bogging down my laptop.

• Reply 13 of 14
    ringoringo Posts: 329member

Quote:

offer a fairly comprehensive peak at

I believe you mean peek.

• Reply 14 of 14
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...however underground rooms like the planned amphitheater...

Can an underground auditorium be called an amphitheater?