Apple rumored to announce two new native apps for iOS 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With today's unveiling of iOS 6, Apple will also introduce two new native applications for its mobile operating system, according to a new report.

Clayton Morris of Fox News wrote on Twitter Monday only hours before Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference that "multiple sources" have told him that Apple will show off "at least two new native iOS apps" today. He didn't provide any details on what those applications might be.

However, when asked by a user about whether one of the new applications will be a new version of Maps, Morris responded that "Maps is already there," signaling that it wouldn't qualify as a "new" application.

Multiple reports have indicated that Apple plans to abandon Google Maps for its native Maps application found in iOS. The latest version of Apple's mobile operating system, iOS 6, is expected to be publicly released later this year, but will be unveiled on Monday at WWDC 2012.

Most of the native applications found on the iPhone have been a part of the platform since day one, including the Safari browser, Clock, Weather, Camera, Photos, Calendar, Weather, Notes and YouTube. Some have been added with subsequent updates to the platform, such as the App Store, iTunes and Compass.

Apple has already revealed that it will showcase iOS 6 at today's event, via banners that were hung up at the Moscone West venue last week. The company's keynote presentation will be held at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full coverage of the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So apparently "Organize" and something else.

Not sure why Organize would exist save to combine Notes, Reminders, and whatever else, but then that begs the question of why Reminders and Notes are individual apps in Mountain Lion.

Also, in before the "Yay! More crap cluttering my Springboard that I can't delete!" whining. image

• Reply 2 of 27
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

A better photo/video management tool would be nice.

• Reply 3 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ...that begs the question of why Reminders and Notes are individual apps in Mountain Lion.
    I think that is because they are separate apps in iOS. Apple has finally made Mac OS more inline with iOS, which includes getting rid of the iCal and Address Book names.

I do wish there was a way to have Reminders, Notes, Contacts and Calendars all windowed frames within Mail in ML but I'm happy to accept this congruency between OS X and iOS.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, in before the "Yay! More crap cluttering my Springboard that I can't delete!" whining. image

As long as I can put it in a folder if I don't want it, unlike newsstand.

• Reply 5 of 27
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

As long as I can put it in a folder if I don't want it, unlike newsstand.

Yeah, Newsstand is the only thing about iOS that bugs the living crap out of me. Sure, there are other things that I would like to have, but not being able to hide or remove something as egregious as Newsstand is a slap in the face. If I don't read magazines on my iPhone, I should be able to hide the icon. I can turn on and off Nike+, why can't I do the same for Newsstand?

• Reply 6 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm still hoping for a replacement for Aperture's Galleries. I don't want to use social bloody media to put my client work up for them to see.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think that is because they are separate apps in iOS. Apple has finally made Mac OS more inline with iOS, which includes getting rid of the iCal and Address Book names.
    I do wish there was a way to have Reminders, Notes, Contacts and Calendars all windowed frames within Mail in ML but I'm happy to accept this congruency between OS X and iOS.

Talking of OS X's Address Book ... maybe we can get a decent version of that? The current OS X Address Book is a joke. I use Bento to manipulate the data but I shouldn't have to.
  • Reply 8 of 27

I stopped reading at the words 'Fox News.'

• Reply 9 of 27

GPS navigation using Siri

• Reply 10 of 27
    I haven't even upgraded to iOS 5 yet.
  • Reply 11 of 27

iPay - Their new payments service prepping for NFC in the new iphone.

That's my bet.

• Reply 12 of 27
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    Actually there is a way to put Newsstand in a folder. It's an annoying workaround but I've used it on my iPad 2 and some coworkers iPhones. Create a new folder by dragging one app on top of another. While that new folder is being created you have to grab and drag Newsstand into it. You have to be quick but it can be done and Newsstand can be the only app in the folder so once you've got it in there you can take the others out.
  • Reply 13 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I haven't even upgraded to iOS 5 yet.

Gotta wait for x.x.2, right? Otherwise it won't be "stable". image

• Reply 14 of 27
    The new app is Siri on all iOS Devices . I know that .
  • Reply 15 of 27
    The new app is Siri on all iOS Devices . I know that .

I don't think of Siri as an 'App'.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    With all the new app speculation, why not bring back some of the 6 apps they dropped from the iPad iOS? I sound like a broken record today. Not to mention the fact that you have photo booth (pointless) and a dedicated FaceTime app on the iPad that could easily be added to the iPhone or at least merge FaceTime into address book or messages apps.

Gps siri nav or a new maps app would not be new either, nor would it be two separate apps.

Yes, Siri is not an app but a native UI.
  • Reply 17 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

With all the new app speculation, why not bring back some of the 6 apps they dropped from the iPad iOS?

Two years ago? It's not happening, man.

• Reply 18 of 27
    Wanna bet one of the new apps is iBooks Author and Apeture? Or something else that already exists in OS X? I thought I saw rumored of more photo editing capabilities coming to iOS.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Two years ago? It's not happening, man.
    Oh I've kind of conceded it, but still like to whine about it ;)
    All I want is an official explanation from Apple as to why?
    Sorry if I don't consider forum members official enough :p
  • Reply 20 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

All I want is an official explanation from Apple as to why?

Probably because of their widgety nature. If Apple thought they could make a Weather app appropriate for the iPad, they would, and it would be spectacular. But what would it look like? I can think of a few things, but if they wanted to retain the general look of their Dashboard cum iPhone app, they'd have a little trouble.