Apple unveils new MacBook Air with up to 2.0GHz CPUs, 512GB storage

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's thin-and-light MacBook Air lineup was given a refresh on Monday, with new models featuring Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors, and configurations running up to 2.0GHz in speed with a Core i7 processor and 512 gigabytes of flash storage.

The new MacBook Airs also feature 720p high-definition FaceTime cameras for both the 11- and 13-inch models. And they have been upgraded with high-speed USB 3.0 ports that offer up to 500MBps read speed, in addition to the existing Thunderbolt connection. Users can also configure the new MacBook Air with up to 8 gigabytes of RAM.

The 11-inch MacBook Air has a 1,366-by-768-pixel display and a 1.7GHz dual-core i5 processor. It has 4 gigabytes of RAM, Intel HD graphics 4000, and up to 128 gigabytes of flash storage. It starts at $999 for the 64 gigabyte model, and is $1,099 for the 128 gigabyte capacity.

The 13-inch MacBook Air has a 1,400-by-900 display and a 1.8GHz dual-core i5 processor standard, with 4 gigabytes of RAM and Intel HD 400 graphics. For 128 gigabytes of flash storage, it costs $1,199, while 256 gigabytes is $1,499.

Both new notebooks are shipping today, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller announced at Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference Keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

The important question: will they play Diablo3?

• Reply 2 of 24

Urghh enough of the diablo hype...it's Soo boring....
  • Reply 3 of 24
    h00tboth00tbot Posts: 1member

I do not understand how any computer that has 64 gigs of storage could be useable.

• Reply 4 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by H00tBot View Post

I do not understand how any computer that has 64 gigs of storage could be useable.

Then don't buy it. Comprehension is not a requisite for cooperation.

• Reply 5 of 24
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

13" MBA for me, then.  Base model will suffice.

I want to be able to compare the MBA and MBP side by side to see what I would miss out if I get a MBA instead of MBP...

• Reply 6 of 24
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I notice on the Apple site that the MBA and the new MacBook Pro have a "MagSafe 2" adaptor while the older MacBook Pros just have MagSafe adaptors (no "2").  Is that new or did the MacBook Airs yesterday have this MagSafe 2 thing.  And should anyone care?

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

• Reply 7 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Is that new or did the MacBook Airs yesterday have this MagSafe 2 thing.  And should anyone care?

Brand new.

Of course everyone should care. It's physically incompatible with all old connectors.

• Reply 8 of 24
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then don't buy it.

I think that is good advice for now. You know there will be a high density display MB Air within a year. That would be nice while flying in a cramped aluminum tube with the screen close on the tray.

• Reply 9 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

I think that is good advice for now. You know there will be a high density display MB Air within a year. That would be nice while flying in a cramped aluminum tube with the screen close on the tray.

It might not be a bad idea to wait (Intel's upcoming Haswell chip sounds promising), but I'm not sure the retina display will come to the MBA that quickly.  Right now these hi-res displays are both expensive and battery-chewing.  Maybe at next year's WWDC they'll announce it, or do something like they did today with the new MBP and announce a retina MBA as a high-end option, leaving the regular resolution as the mass market products.

• Reply 10 of 24
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Shame Apple didn't put in a retina display in the new models, would have been perfect!

• Reply 11 of 24
    stustu Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I notice on the Apple site that the MBA and the new MacBook Pro have a "MagSafe 2" adaptor while the older MacBook Pros just have MagSafe adaptors (no "2").  Is that new or did the MacBook Airs yesterday have this MagSafe 2 thing.  And should anyone care?

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

Also noticed that the magsafe2 will only charge the battery when the notebook is off or in sleep mode. It won't charge whilst you're using it. The current magsafe versions do charge whilst the notebook is in use. (confirmed by text on the shop entries for the old v new magsafe adapters)

• Reply 12 of 24
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member

[deleted] p.s. Why does "reply" to a specific post not actually reply (i.e. quote previous poster)

• Reply 13 of 24
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member

Quote:

Originally Posted by H00tBot View Post

Dropbox

• Reply 14 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Also noticed that the magsafe2 will only charge the battery when the notebook is off or in sleep mode. It won't charge whilst you're using it. The current magsafe versions do charge whilst the notebook is in use. (confirmed by text on the shop entries for the old v new magsafe adapters)

If so, that would make no sense at all and would be a real pain to deal with. Thing is, I don't see where you got this from. Can you point to a spec?

So far as I can tell, the only difference for MagSafe 2 is the physical size of the port. Electrical specs should be exactly the same, as there is even a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter.

• Reply 15 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienMcKenna View Post

It looks not :(

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Trinity-Trounces-Ivy-Bridge-in-Diablo-III-270029.shtml

• Reply 16 of 24
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

The specifications make no mention that I can find of the video memory given to the HD4000 controller.  Same for the MBP.  Anyone know?

• Reply 17 of 24

Quote:

Anandtech's analysis sounds a bit more hopeful.  You'll probably have to turn off shadows.  Or wait for next year's Air with Intel's Haswell.

Quote:

Given those results, it appears that Shadow Quality is the single most demanding setting, trumping even resolution. On HD 4000, you can basically double your performance at 1080p by turning off the shadows.

Quote:

As a primary gaming system, any Ultrabook this size is going to fall short. However, if you need to get your Diablo fix in while on the road, the Zenbook Prime will deliver in a pinch.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5843/asus-zenbook-prime-ux21a-review/6

• Reply 18 of 24
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 13-inch MacBook Air has a 1,400-by-900 display

Don't you mean 1,440 by 900?

• Reply 19 of 24
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Mmm.. Naughty. You have to go with the higher-model MBA 13" just to get more SSD. Still, 1.8ghz Ivy Bridge is nothing to sneeze at. And the weight of the 13" MBA is, absolutely delightful.

• Reply 20 of 24
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

[deleted] p.s. Why does "reply" to a specific post not actually reply (i.e. quote previous poster)

Yeah you have to click "Quote".