Apple announces iOS 6 with Siri enhancements, Facebook integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday took the wraps off of its next-generation mobile operating system, iOS 6, which packs more than 200 new features, including new functionality for Siri, and system-wide integration with Facebook, launching this fall.

Apple's iOS software chief, Scott Forstall, showed off some of the new features at Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, including the ability to query Siri for sports scores, dinner reservations with OpenTable, and movie times via RottenTomatoes.

Siri can now also be used to launch Applications. Forstall demonstrated onstage asking the voice control software to play the game "Temple Run," and it opened on the iPhone. Users can also post messages to Twitter by using their phone.

Language support for Siri has also been improved with Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and more.

When it launches this fall, iOS 6 will be compatible with the second- and third-generation iPads; the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S; and the fourth-generation iPod touch.

iOS 6

Facebook integration will also go system-wide with iOS 6. Much like with the existing Twitter integration, users simply log in to their Facebook account in the iOS settings application, and users can quickly post to their account or share music, applications or photos with their friends.

Facebook events and birthdays will also appear in the iOS calendar. Users will also be able to "like" applications on the App Store.

Facebook 2

"iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device,"Forstall said. "We can?t wait for hundreds of millions of iOS users to experience the incredible new features in iOS 6 including the new Maps app, expanded Siri support, deep Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams and the innovative new Passbook app."

iOS 6

Enhancements have also been made to the native phone application in iOS. When declining a call, users are given the option to send a quick message to the person calling, or ask to be reminded later of the call. Quick messages are available to select such as "I'll call you later" or "I'm on my way."

iOS 6 Phone app

Another addition called "Do Not Disturb" allows users to choose a set time range where notifications and alerts are silenced completely. This feature is customizable to allow calls from certain people to come through during those hours.

With iOS 6, users will also be able to make FaceTime video calls over cellular data networks, and are no longer required to be connected to Wi-Fi. The phone number and Apple ID have also been unified, so if someone sends a FaceTime request to a phone number, it can still be answered on an iPad or Mac.

Enhancements for Safari in iOS 6 include iCloud Tabs, which allows users to view and sync websites across a range of devices, as well as the ability to upload photos from directly within Safari on popular websites. Safari will also gain fullscreen support in landscape mode.

iOS 6 Safari iCloud tabs

PhotoStream has also been enhanced with new sharing features that allow users to share specific pictures or entire albums with others. The social networking style serve will also let users comment on and like photos shared via PhotoStream.

iOS 6 VIP Mail

And Mail for iOS will receive a new feature called VIPs, which allows users to specify people whose e-mails are of high priority. These flagged messages will show up in their own separate inbox.

iOS 6 Safari iCloud tabs

Mail in iOS 6 also adds the ability to easily insert pictures and videos when composing a message, and users can also pull down on the app to refresh and check for messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member

Full blown war with Google.

• Reply 2 of 83
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    But is Siri still considered a Beta feature?
  • Reply 3 of 83
    ndn2007ndn2007 Posts: 15member

I'll assume that there will be a "Disable Facebook and Anything To Do With It" toggle switch somewhere in iOS6...

• Reply 4 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndn2007 View Post

I'll assume that there will be a "Disable Facebook and Anything To Do With It" toggle switch somewhere in iOS6...

Yes, it's called "don't use it".

• Reply 5 of 83
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Still no Siri for the iPhone 4, even though there is no real hardware limitation.

• Reply 6 of 83

Total. Frigging. Crap.

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 2.58.01 PM.png

I think I can say that now.

• Reply 7 of 83

WOW.  Iphone now integrated with Facebook!  Is there any end to the magic Apple is putting out 3 years later than everyone else?

If I was Tim Cook, I would be ashamed to stand on stage and actually announce this; its so behind the times.

• Reply 8 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple's stock wasup most of the day and now it's down $3 and change. Obviously the market is 'meh' on these updates. FB integration not a big deal. 3D maps are cool but turn by turn navigation is something the iPhone should have had for years now so that doesn't really wow anyone. And nothing related to Apple TV. Once again the hype is so much greater than what Apple can/decides to deliver.
  • Reply 9 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple's stock wasup most of the day and now it's down $3 and change. Obviously the market is 'meh' on these updates.

Obviously you don't know what happens after every keynote they've ever done.

Quote:

Once again the hype is so much greater than what Apple can/decides to deliver.

Just like every single year.

• Reply 10 of 83

no mac pros! ahhh

• Reply 11 of 83
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Total. Frigging. Crap. I think I can say that now.

:???:

Why crap? No support for iPad v1.0? It doesn't make me happy either but look this kind of unsupported hardware is a necessary evil if we want to push the envelop. I do find it quite odd that the 3GS is still in the hunt especially given the hardware would seem to be well below that of the iPad 1st gen.

Apple usually makes these weird cuts and while ppl bitch ... Life moves forward.
  • Reply 12 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Why crap? No support for iPad v1.0? It doesn't make me happy either but look this kind of unsupported hardware is a necessary evil if we want to push the envelop. I do find it quite odd that the 3GS is still in the hunt especially given the hardware would seem to be well below that of the IPad 1st gen.

The 3GS is older and it gets support. It will be four frigging years old when they stop selling it.

Don't give me the "push the envelope" crap if that thing is still sitting there. image

• Reply 13 of 83

R.I.P MAC PRO 

• Reply 14 of 83

Still no Siri for iphone 4 users?  That's pretty stupid.. I'm not upgrading my phone for that feature.  Also - Bring Siri to OS X!

• Reply 15 of 83

Yeah, a little pissed about the exclusion of the 1st gen iPad... At least support it until the 4th gen comes out...

• Reply 16 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

Still no Siri for iphone 4 users?  That's pretty stupid.. I'm not upgrading my phone for that feature.

It's a good thing absolutely everything else in the iPhone 4S was changed too, huh?

• Reply 17 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davestall View Post

WOW.  Iphone now integrated with Facebook!  Is there any end to the magic Apple is putting out 3 years later than everyone else?

If I was Tim Cook, I would be ashamed to stand on stage and actually announce this; its so behind the times.

Talk about not being able to see the forrest through the tree....

You pick that as a negative -- while there is sooooo much good in iOS 6.   Siri learning sports is brilliant.  Map enhancements are extraordinary.

The whole computer, cloud, mobile integration is something that no competitor can offer.

• Reply 18 of 83
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Probably the most interesting thing for me is passbook. But beyond that there's a lot of been there done that.

Hate to say it but.....seems like a lot of Android features made it in

Reply with message

Video chat over cellular

Launch apps using voice commands (been in android forever)

offline reading list

sharing

.........surprised really, thought with all thats going on Apple would stay far from adopting android features. 

Kinda surprised we didn't see more custimaztions for the user (I just want to change the color of my keyboard, is that too much to ask?), at a glance notifications and a burst mode for the camera like in android phones as well....maybe in iphone 5. 

• Reply 19 of 83
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Talk about not being able to see the forrest through the tree....

You pick that as a negative -- while there is sooooo much good in iOS 6.   Siri learning sports is brilliant.  Map enhancements are extraordinary.

The whole computer, cloud, mobile integration is something that no competitor can offer.

Actually Android can do the Cloud integration and it works on more than just the Mac platform.

• Reply 20 of 83
    Damn, looks like Siri is still in beta form, and that probably means no dedicated Siri button on the next iPhone. Looks like there were a lot of cool announcements though, can't wait to watch the the keynote later. I think keeping the 3GS around is going to be a great way for Apple to continue expansion into developing markets without sacrificing margins. Go Apple!