First look at Apple's 'next generation MacBook Pro' with photos

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After announcing the "next generation MacBook Pro" complete with Retina Display, Apple let WWDC attendees spend some quality time with the machine and AppleInsider was there to grab some up-close photos.

"The most beautiful computer we have ever made"

That's what Apple is calling the new Retina Display-toting MacBook Pro, and the company had an example on display at WWDC. The unit was protected by a plexiglass cylinder, but guests were able to get close enough to get a feel for the high-resolution display and redesigned port layout.

Next-Gen MBP
First look at the sleek outer design of Apple's new MacBook Pro.

Off-axis screen on the MacBook Pro's 15.4-inch 2,880 by 1,880 pixel screen jams in 220 pixels-per-inch and is quite impressive to the naked eye, though future tests will show just how it compares with current models. Note the deep blacks and reduced glare, which Apple claims is 75 percent less reflective than glossy displays on current machines.

MBP Screen
The high-resolution Retina Display is the largest of its kind implemented by Apple and the first in a laptop.

Apple's newly-redesigned MagSafe 2 power connector looks to be physically similar to current offerings, though the revamped internals were not on display at the time of this writing.

MagSafe 2
Apple's new MagSafe 2 connector.

The uni-body chassis is packed with high-density batteries to accomodate the added draw from the Retina Display that will create a higher level of heat compared to current=generation models. As seen in the photo below, the new unit sports an interesting venting setup on its underside to handle the laptop's unique thermal properties.

MBP Underside
Underside view of the next-gen MacBook Pro with side vents.

Upgraded connectivity options include USB 3.0 and a dedicated HDMI-out port along with a high-speed Thunderbolt port and SD card reader. With the nixing of an optical drive, Apple has moved three connector ports to the right side of the machine.

Ports
Re-arranged ports with USB 3.0, HDMI-out and SD card slot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81

I'll take it!

• Reply 2 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I was really surprised that they included the HDMI port. On Apple's website they just say HDMI port but AI describes it as HDMI-out port. The only reason I mention this is that I routinely use my Mac Pro with an Intensity Pro card to capture HDMI in, It would be great if the built in port was bi directional.

Also what is up with the Magsafe 2 shouldn't it be the third generation? The new one looks more like the original out pointing MagSafe than the more recent rear pointing version.

• Reply 3 of 81
    davidadavida Posts: 57member

Hmm, looks nice, but a step backwards in some respects. The new magsafe connector for example, what are they thinking? I'm glad they are keeping the current line of MacBook Pros, Retina display on a laptop is a waste. Non-upgradable RAM and HD, no thanks. 

• Reply 4 of 81

Why is Apple going back to the T shaped mag connector? Especially after the class action lawsuit?

• Reply 5 of 81
    davidadavida Posts: 57member

Hmm, looks nice, but a step backwards in some respects. The new magsafe connector for example, what are they thinking? This old design would always pop out when you didn't intend it. I'm glad they are keeping the current line of MacBook Pros, Retina display on a laptop is a waste. Non-upgradable RAM and HD, no thanks. 

• Reply 6 of 81
    ghost03ghost03 Posts: 6member

I don't like the air vent. Looks like it might catch when sliding in to a bag, very un-Apple like.

It's super thin like all new Apple products, but I'd rather see them shrink the bezel/footprint than make it thinner.

That said, looks really great.

• Reply 7 of 81

So did the 17" survive?

• Reply 8 of 81
    shompashompa Posts: 343member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was really surprised that they included the HDMI port. On Apple's website they just say HDMI port but AI describes it as HDMI-out port. The only reason I mention this is that I routinely use my Mac Pro with an Intensity Pro card to capture HDMI in, It would be great if the built in port was bi directional.

Also what is up with the Magsafe 2 shouldn't it be the third generation? The new one looks more like the original out pointing MagSafe than the more recent rear pointing version.

HDMI capture is difficult due to enforced HDCP encryption. That is why for example SlingBox HD lacks HDMI ports. 

I have to look up the Intensity pro card to check how they bypass encryption.

• Reply 9 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoffrobinson View Post

So did the 17" survive?

nope.

And Mac Pro have the laziest bump in history. No thunderbolt. No usb3. Tim Cook accept substandard products. 

The New Apple.... 

• Reply 10 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by davida View Post

Hmm, looks nice, but a step backwards in some respects. The new magsafe connector for example, what are they thinking? I'm glad they are keeping the current line of MacBook Pros, Retina display on a laptop is a waste. Non-upgradable RAM and HD, no thanks. 

The consumer will vote.

There is a reason why the 17 inch is killed of and that Mac book air sells millions. 

Retina display is never a waste. Its the feature. Resolution independence will be huge. Its also great when pixel stops working. You can't see the bad pixels. 

Memory: Don't you think 8 gig is enough for all people who don't use more then one virtual machine? 

The nerds that wants to swap memory, hard drive and other stuff inside their computers are just a couple of percent of the market. Apple aren't for you. Get an Alienware with 15 minutes of battery time. 

• Reply 11 of 81
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoffrobinson View Post

So did the 17" survive?

seems not, you can have a normal or pointlessly high resolution pokey little 15", or a standard resolution really pokey 13", but no more big screen for big pictures, bummer

• Reply 12 of 81
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

That looks very nice and i like it but with the discontinuing of the 17 inch mac book pro, i won't make the jump to OS X, i will continue to buy iphones and update my ipad when it is old enough, but a 17 inch screen on a laptop is not only the selling point for me, but its the first requirement.

That said, i like the airport express, i will probably buy one of those, as well as, the new iphone

• Reply 13 of 81
    I notice they list 17" (starting at $2499) on the main MacBook page, but you can't seem to order it.

I'm thinking of sticking with the previous generation. That's how bad I want a matte 17" display.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Debating between this and an updated 13" MBA. Retina display is the only thing I would want from the new MBP in my MBA. I buy a new computer every 2 years anyway. So... may just get an 11" or 13" MBA. 

• Reply 15 of 81
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

That MagSafe redesign looks awful. Shame they've apparently killed the 17", guess I'll have to stick with this one until someone else comes up with a 17" laptop worth buying. A 15" is simply too small for my preference, doesn't matter what the screen res is it's just too small for me.

• Reply 16 of 81

It's the Macbook Prayer!  A cross between the Pro and Air!  I wonder if this model will perform as good as ye ole macbook pro.  That thin chassis must have sacrificed heatsink and fan size for such sexiness.  I think I would have preferred an option for a regular MBP with a retina.

• Reply 17 of 81
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member

Like it! Want it!

• Reply 18 of 81
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Looks like an awesome upgrade from my 1st intel gen mbp (6 yrs old?)
    I think iOS development might even be nicer on this than the iMac :)
    the extra res will definitely be a bonus when building apps for retina iPads
  • Reply 19 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I notice they list 17" (starting at $2499) on the main MacBook page, but you can't seem to order it.
    I'm thinking of sticking with the previous generation. That's how bad I want a matte 17" display.

If I were buying right now, I'd get the previous generation 17" (possibly refurbished) and then head over to Other World Computing to buy an SSD and the adapter to make it fit in the ODD slot. That would give me an SSD plus a platter disk for storage and would not be all the much slower than the new ones.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    pjapkpjapk Posts: 24member

Order already placed!

However, I have a complaint. What're we going to do with all this free time now we're not sitting here hitting F5 every 60 seconds? :)