Apple pushes out Thunderbolt software update for new accessory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released a software update for Thunderbolt-equipped Macs that brings compatibility for the company's new Gigabit Ethernet adapter announced alongside the next generation MacBook Pro.

The update is meant for the new 15.4-inch MacBook Pro as the new 0.71-inch thick notebook eschewed its RJ-45 ethernet port in exchange for a slim svelte design much like the MacBook Air did when it was first launched in 2008.

While the Air used USB as a base for its adapters, Apple's new MacBook Pro will leverage the faster and more flexible Thunderbolt protocol. So far the company has debuted two new accessories in the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet and FireWire 800 adapters that can be attached to one of the two provided ports on the next-generation machine. The adapters will work with the MacBook Air as well as the Retina Display MacBook Pro after installing Monday's software update.

The 203KB Thunderbolt Software Update is available through Software Update and should be appearing on Apple's Support Page shortly.

Thunderbolt Update

Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    onglongl Posts: 4member

Will the new accessories compatible with previous version of MBA and MBP with thunderbolt (Early and Late 2011)?

Thanks

• Reply 2 of 11
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    ongl wrote: »
    Will the new accessories compatible with previous version of MBA and MBP with thunderbolt (Early and Late 2011)?

Thanks

This software update sounds like that is exactly what it's for
  • Reply 3 of 11

Install failed, now kernel panic on boot.  Sounds like some others are seeing this as well:

• Reply 4 of 11

I doubt anyone will check this before blindly applying this update (I know I didn't) but on my MacBookPro8,2 (Early 2011 2.2Ghz quad core i7), I ran this from Software Update (along with an iPhoto update) and it fried my OS. When it went to apply the update, it said it couldn't apply it and there was an OK button. After that, I rebooted, and it said something about a "driver not found" and wouldn't boot.

Period.

I've spent the last few hours re-installing 10.7.

Not fun.

Edit: I stand corrected.

• Reply 5 of 11

I'm trying out a fix - I booted an external drive, applied the firmware update there, and looked at the /var/log/system.log on my failing drive...it mentioned a problem with some IOKit dir, and when I compared my working external drive with my failing internal one, I noted the dirs were not the same.

I've just rsync'd from the working drive that specific directory, I'm running disk utility repair, and then I'll try and reboot the internal.  Stay tuned and wish me luck :)

Edit: Also tried downloading the standalone firmware update, and copied those files manually into /System/Extensions, but still no luck.

Kernel panic looks something like this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8000064ba7b): "Unable to find driver for this platform: "\"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/nu/xnu-1699.26.8iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1504

Edit 2: Also tried syncing everything in /System/Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Frameworks - still no love.

Edit 3: Gave up trying to patch it and just reinstalled OSX from the recovery partition.  An hour later, things are looking better.

Edit 4: Doing the Thunderbolt update from Software update killed me again.  Next time gonna try the manual download.

Edit 5: Manual download thunderbolt update killed me too.  Surprised that it worked on the external drive, but not on the internal one.  Skipping it until they get it fixed.

• Reply 6 of 11
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The pictures don't render at all in iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I have the same problem. I am currently reinstalling lion to get my computer up and running again.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cm73cm73 Posts: 1member

Same problem here, screenshot: http://mg1.co/4tiJ

As it may be useful for people yet to come, what's a good link with step by step instructions on restoring the OS on Lion?

Cheers,

c

PS - Has anyone told Apple?

• Reply 9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cm73 View Post

Same problem here, screenshot: http://mg1.co/4tiJ

As it may be useful for people yet to come, what's a good link with step by step instructions on restoring the OS on Lion?

Cheers,

c

PS - Has anyone told Apple?

Yup. That.

I'm sure someone will tell Apple at some point. This can't be affecting everyone or we would have seen more reports about it. I know that when I did it, I had an external monitor connected to the Thunderbolt port, so I wonder if that is what caused the update to fail.

The easiest way to re-install is to boot holding down the option key and then select the option about "recovery disk" or whatever. Then choose the option about re-installing. Then re-install all the patches after downloading them all (mine was around 2.0GB when all was said and done.)

FWIW, I tried all the disk utility options (repair permissions and volume) to no avail first.

• Reply 10 of 11
    lrsiiilrsiii Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerzdosen View Post

Yup. That.

I'm sure someone will tell Apple at some point. This can't be affecting everyone or we would have seen more reports about it. I know that when I did it, I had an external monitor connected to the Thunderbolt port, so I wonder if that is what caused the update to fail.

FWIW, I tried all the disk utility options (repair permissions and volume) to no avail first.

Apple knows about it now.  The same thing happened to me last night with my 2011 MacBook Pro.  I did not have an external monitor (or anything else) connected to the Thunderbolt port.  I also tried the disk utility options without success.  I ended up re-installing everything from my Time Machine backup on an external hard drive.  Apple told me today there also is a problem with the iTunes update.

They claim it all will be fixed in the next day or two.

• Reply 11 of 11

For me, the big question is, "Will this ethernet adapter feature full jumbo frame support for gigabit ethernet?" Apple has chosen poorly with ethernet chipsets in the past. Hopefully, this time, they get it right.