Apple airs new MacBook Pro ad as shipping estimates rise to 3-4 weeks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A new television commercial for Apple's new MacBook Pro with Retina Display began airing on Tuesday, even as shipping estimates for the new laptop have risen to three to four weeks.

MacStories reported on Tuesday that the commercial first aired during the NBA Finals. The ad appears to be geared toward professionals, as it shows a MacBook Pro being used to edit photos and video as the camera pans around it to highlight its slimmer profile.

"The radical new MacBook Pro with Retina Display," the narrator says. "Innovation in every dimension."

The new laptop looks to be off to a strong start so far, as shipping estimates have risen to three to four weeks, up from two to three weeks earlier in the day.

Alongside the new Macbook Pro with Retina Display, Apple also announced new traditional MacBook Pro models and new MacBook Airs. Those portables are still listed as in stock on Apple's Website.

Credit: Ivan 6235

Apple outfitted its high-end MacBook Pro with a 2,880-by-1,800-pixel Retina Display that contains 220 pixels per inch. The laptop exists as a hybrid of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro and has been described by Apple as "the most beautiful computer" it has ever made. Like the MacBook Air, the new MacBook Pro lacks an optical disk drive and comes with Solid State flash storage, but it also carries on many of the design elements of the MacBook Pro line.

MacBook Pro shipping times

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48

So... I've been waiting until now to upgrade from my 4,1 MacBook because I thought a bunch of thin MacBooks were being announced yesterday. Is it impractical to spend $2,000+ on the Retina MacBook if I don't plan on editing movies or working a lot with photos? I'm trying to justify spending the extra money but I don't know if I can!

If I don't go Retina, I'm thinking about going with the 13" Air. 

Thoughts?

• Reply 2 of 48
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    That's a long wait. Does anyone know if the Apple Stores have the retina MBPs?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    briancpa wrote: »
    So... I've been waiting until now to upgrade from my 4,1 MacBook because I thought a bunch of thin MacBooks were being announced yesterday. Is it impractical to spend $2,000+ on the Retina MacBook if I don't plan on editing movies or working a lot with photos? I'm trying to justify spending the extra money but I don't know if I can!

Thoughts?

Only one question; do you want it? Then buy it. It's unlikely any maker will match the display and none will touch the quality of this computer.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    wurm5150 wrote: »

Nope. Not yet.

As much as I like the new MBPR, spec wise, it's an SSD version of my 2010 MBP that I bought for $1100. I'll wait to see what they have next year. But IMHO if u bought a Pro in the last 3 years, $2K+ isn't gonna make much difference.

Am I alone in saying I'd like a black MBP vice silver aluminum? Maybe a matte display?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    wurm5150 wrote: »

Unlikely if shipping is 3-4 weeks. Should have ordered early.
  • Reply 6 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Only one question; do you want it? Then buy it. It's unlikely any maker will match the display and none will touch the quality of this computer.

Haha of course I do. I'm just trying to avoid buyer's remorse later on!

• Reply 7 of 48
    quambquamb Posts: 143member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

As much as I like the new MBPR, spec wise, it's an SSD version of my 2010 MBP that I bought for $1100. 

How is a 2012 i7 chip the same as a 2010 one? Or all the other internals that have been upgraded or re-designed?

This is one of the biggest updates the mbp line has ever seen in terms of design and internals.

• Reply 8 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    briancpa wrote: »
    Haha of course I do. I'm just trying to avoid buyer's remorse later on!

It's not going to run you into financial trouble, is it? MacBook Pros are fairly expensive computers anyway. If I were to buy one, I would expect it to serve me well for many years.

At any rate, I'd say wait until you can see one in person before buying. Its main draw, I think, is the screen, so that may be the deciding factor.
  • Reply 9 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Thoughts?

The Air is awesome, and with the 512GB SSD and Core i7, it's actually practical for use as a primary laptop.

Buy it.

• Reply 10 of 48

Quote:

It's not a limited edition or something. They will make more.

• Reply 11 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    radjin wrote: »

It's common for the online store to be out of stock but still possible to find product, limited as it might be, in stores. Apple balances out their supply and there is the obvious draw to get people who come into stores to leave with product and to encourage those to go to the stores to get product.
  • Reply 12 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Nope. Not yet.

As much as I like the new MBPR, spec wise, it's an SSD version of my 2010 MBP that I bought for $1100. I'll wait to see what they have next year. But IMHO if u bought a Pro in the last 3 years, $2K+ isn't gonna make much difference.

Am I alone in saying I'd like a black MBP vice silver aluminum? Maybe a matte display?

Have you seen the display?  I'm betting not.  I saw it today and its drop dead, and this from a guy who only uses matte screens like on my 2010 macbook pro.  If you see the screen, thats it.  They got that right.

• Reply 13 of 48
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Thoughts?

Determine where you will be using the unit. I gave up on the 15" MBP's because I travel a lot and the 13" MBA was fast enough for me. I'll never go back--the Air is so portable it's a joy. 

• Reply 14 of 48
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member

Are they on display at the stores (yes, I know you can't purchase one on the floor yet)?

• Reply 15 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Not yet that I know of.

The lead time was 2-3 weeks early this morning.  My guess is these are going to be HOT sellers.  REAL HOT sellers.

• Reply 16 of 48
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    radjin wrote: »

I probably should have but I'm a see it and try it first before buying kind of person..
  • Reply 17 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I probably should have but I'm a see it and try it first before buying kind of person..

The stores likely got them today, pulled out what they need to put on display etc. The rest likely went real fast as those that really really wanted this new model would be hitting the site every 30-60 minutes with the laptop in their cart waiting for a local store to have some available to pick up. 

so if you have a store in your area you can probably see one tomorrow at least even if you can't buy it. course if you were lucky enough to have the cash and a store in the area with some in you could always buy it to pick up at the store and cancel the order if you don't like what you see

• Reply 18 of 48
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

That ad was hot. Serious without being stuffy. It could have easily been for a BMW. 

White backgrounds, Feist, and cuteness for the consumer lines.

Black backgrounds, action movie music, and getting-shit-done for the pro lines.

Well played, gents. 

• Reply 19 of 48
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

spec wise, it's an SSD version of my 2010 MBP that I bought for $1100

Yeah, the clock speed is misleading... a 2.3ghz i7 is way faster than a 2.3ghz core2duo. Probably twice the speed. 

• Reply 20 of 48
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Apple saying 3-4 weeks most likely you  will receive it earlier.  I'm surprised that Apple has such short supply on these items. Seems that interest is more than they anticipated.