Forum Editor Is Horribly Broken, Please Fix

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

I would have to say that the Forum html/ajax/what not system is very impaired. Formatting goes wonky, no emoticons, posting on ~Apple~Insider on an ~Apple~ computer using an ~Apple~ web browser is quite unpredictable and... Well, you get my drift.

I understand you all put in a lot of effort into this upgrade, but is it possible to just turn off the editor to a standard non-html non-ajax system? 

(Feel free to merge this with any other threads if this is not appropriate to be a thread on its own, in this case I would like to highlight the ~editor~ specifically)

Thank you for your consideration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And it's completely borked with Safari 6. :lol:

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/167996/width/352/height/157][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/167996/width/352/height/157[/IMG][/URL]

Don't worry. Because of that, they should* fix it shortly.

If they could get rid of the extra whitespace that occurs for absolutely no reason (particularly with quotes and line spacing in general), that'd be great. You can tell when I upgraded to 10.8 DP4 because all my posts after that point have the extra spacing in quotes that I can't remove with the BBCode replier.

[SIZE=0]*better[/SIZE]
  • Reply 2 of 10

I can't even see an editor when I reply to someone. It just throws a mess of HTML at me. I've been a web designer for years and even I want absolutely nothing to do with that (especially given how poor the actual HTML involved is). What's wrong with a simple BBCode quote/reply system? Pretty much nobody wants to mess with actual container-level HTML for this sort of thing. It is a usability nightmare.

The update also made Tapatalk extremely difficult and annoying to use.

There's absolutely no need to reinvent the forum wheel.

• Reply 3 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What's wrong with a simple BBCode quote/reply system?

You can switch to the BBCode editor in your user preferences.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Killer. This should be advertised more.

• Reply 5 of 10
  • Reply 6 of 10

Ah. I went looking for that yesterday but my 'Edit Account Settings' button wasn't working.

sr2012 wrote: »
    Killer. This should be advertised more.

It should be the default.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It should be the default.

Yes.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I love change, and things should always be moving forward and refreshed. But, and I've waited this long to say it, so you know it's not knee-jerk, the new forum is a step backwards.

• Reply 9 of 10
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Guys, the Rich Text as well as the BBCode Editors' buttons are not showing up in Safari 5.1.7 (Mac). It was working fine yesterday. Basically, all I see is a simple edit box with no controls (bold face, fonts, colors, insert pictures, etc. buttons are all gone). Now when I use FireFox 12.0, the Rich Editor controls are back. What's going on? Is it just me or are any other Safari users seeing the same thing?

This is what I see in Safari:

AI_forum_editor.gif

Update: I solved the problem. I opened Safari preferences, disabled all of the extensions, and my editor buttons returned. Then re-enabled each extension (one at a time). All of the extensions are enabled again, but the problem did not come back. So, weird, but easily solved.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Websites in their current form have reached their sunset. It was like when CD-ROMs became obsolete. That's where we're at. Much more streamlined web apps, and "web" content in the form of apps, iBooks and so on for iOS are the future. Android? Who cares.

Nothing will disappear but iPhone and iPad from 2012 to 2022 is where it's at. Bloated, nonsense websites (not referring to any specifically here) with rubbish ads and endless tracking and privacy issues are no longer relevant for the future. They'll still be around, like trucks, but people want compacts and sedans.

Try AdBlock, and MenuEclipse for Mac. Live better. Sorry advertisers, but the moment I turn of AdBlock I feel like something is very, very weird. Since using AdBlock for a year I got so used to looking at things "properly" not messed up.