Teen Computer - Air vs Macbook Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

So getting a computer for teen - at the moment nothing heavy on the usage in terms of programs/processing speed needs.  But am torn between the two.  Like the air for smaller size and flash drive seems more likely to last 5 years than HD on Pro.  And if I do it how important is getting 8gb memory.  Feel like that is a good safety investment for keeping it 5-6 years.

For the Pro it seems a bit sturdier - I can add memory later and optical drive is nice if not necessary.  Plus bigger hard drive and faster processor always makes me lean to the power side.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

5-6 years, I'd get the Pro. Start with 4GB and upgrade later if/when needed. For a teen, the ability to watch RedBox DVDs and rip/burn music from/to CDs is probably something they'd appreciate. Essentially, the Pro is the safe choice. If they really want the thin-and-light portability of the Air and are fine without the optical drive, then there's no reason not to go with the Air, however. It really is a personal choice. Looking at 5-6 years viability on the Air though, 8GB wouldn't hurt.