Vizio 24" AIO vs iMac 21.5"

nhtnht
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

I like the design of the Vizio AIO...and other than 2 problems for me (no OSX and no HMDI out) I like the 24".

Tech Specs

http://www.vizio.com/all-in-one/specs

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Well, the website layout sure seems familiar...but I like that it's equally clean.

I really would like the next iMac to be 24" vs 21.5" and I don't mind $1200 vs $1050 difference for the equivalent Vizio (CA24-A1).  For $150 you get OSX, TB, FW, etc.  Well worth the price.

Vizio did a lot of things right...like using MS Signature with no bloatware.  I like the computer in the base and the chinless display as well.  I'm guessing that it's more easily expandable than having the computer behind the display.  The only thing I dislike is the lack of outputs.  The two passive HDMI in are great but 1 input and 1 output would have been better IMHO.  Toslink out would have been useful too.

The two 27" models are not directly comparable because the Vizio is at 1920x1080 vs the 2560x1440 of the iMac.  Although I have to say that a 27" 1080p monitor is quite usable...especially if it is going to double as the dorm room TV that's also connected to the XBox and PS3/BluRay player (hey look...2 HDMI ins...).

Very tempting.  I'm getting more and more impatient for the iMac update and I can imagine quite a few Vizio sales to college kids.  The top end 27" model needs something better than the GT 640M LE though even if they needed to bump the price significantly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

I actually was looking at the Vizio items since our IT staff refuses to buy Macs for our staff, I wanted to get it with no OS and install Linux Mint, but they don't do custom order computers, which makes sense I guess.

The reviews I've read are really positive, aside from the plastic trackpad.

The trackpad on my MacBook Pro has ruined me for all trackpads, I was using my Latitude E6520 last night for work and absolutely hate the trackpad.

• Reply 2 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by justincylander View Post

I actually was looking at the Vizio items since our IT staff refuses to buy Macs for our staff, I wanted to get it with no OS and install Linux Mint, but they don't do custom order computers, which makes sense I guess.

The trackpad on my MacBook Pro has ruined me for all trackpads, I was using my Latitude E6520 last night for work and absolutely hate the trackpad.

Agreed...I always use what some folks amusingly call the clit mouse over the trackpad.

If I got the vizio I'd get a real mouse and dump the trackpad for anything but the occasional gesture that largely doesn't exist yet in windows.

• Reply 3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I like the design of the Vizio AIO...and other than 2 problems for me (no OSX and no HMDI out) I like the 24".

Tech Specs

Well, the website layout sure seems familiar...but I like that it's equally clean.

I really would like the next iMac to be 24" vs 21.5" and I don't mind $1200 vs $1050 difference for the equivalent Vizio (CA24-A1).  For $150 you get OSX, TB, FW, etc.  Well worth the price.

Vizio did a lot of things right...like using MS Signature with no bloatware.  I like the computer in the base and the chinless display as well.  I'm guessing that it's more easily expandable than having the computer behind the display.  The only thing I dislike is the lack of outputs.  The two passive HDMI in are great but 1 input and 1 output would have been better IMHO.  Toslink out would have been useful too.

The two 27" models are not directly comparable because the Vizio is at 1920x1080 vs the 2560x1440 of the iMac.  Although I have to say that a 27" 1080p monitor is quite usable...especially if it is going to double as the dorm room TV that's also connected to the XBox and PS3/BluRay player (hey look...2 HDMI ins...).

Very tempting.  I'm getting more and more impatient for the iMac update and I can imagine quite a few Vizio sales to college kids.  The top end 27" model needs something better than the GT 640M LE though even if they needed to bump the price significantly.

If you can afford to wait, I'd recommend you wait. OS X is just soo much better than windows 7 and windows 8 is looking to be pretty bad. Also, the design and everything of the Vizio kind of just throws me off.

• Reply 4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Tech Specs

If you can afford to wait, I'd recommend you wait. OS X is just soo much better than windows 7 and windows 8 is looking to be pretty bad. Also, the design and everything of the Vizio kind of just throws me off.

• Reply 5 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Do the IT guys still drag their knuckles?

Seriously, the would consider an off brand like Vizio over a Mac. Do they not understand that Macs can run Windows or Linux just fine? Price can't be an issue either. So what is the problem.

This I understand. Once you go Mac you will never go back.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    nht wrote: »
    You can stop right there. If it has two problems, one being a major why even post? If you really need Mac OS then this is not the machine or you!!!!!!
    Tech Specs

"Well worth the price". Again you have already passed judgement, which I agree with by the way, so why the indecision?

You say that up until you have to sit in front of one for an extended session.

Personally I think you are nuts for even considering this machine. Go with a Mac and get some AppleCare. AppleCare is highly reccomended for college students, whereas for others it is a more debatable expense. However don't buy the Mac until the last possible minute so that you hopefully get a significantly upgraded machine. As it is you have two months to wait for that update.

In the grander scheme of things though I'm not convinced that an all in one is that smart of a move. As it is currently designed I really don't like the iMac or similarly designed machines. There is simply too much custom designed hardware. Hardware that is hard to access by the way. Even disk drives are a custom solution.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

"Well worth the price". Again you have already passed judgement, which I agree with by the way, so why the indecision?

Given that the new iMacs are not out yet there is no decision to be made.  Vizio still shows as pre0order.  Once they do launch the new iMacs then the decision is between OSX at ??" vs Win7 at 24".

21" seem small for 2012.  That would actually require some thought if Windows is a requirement at all.  If it is then you have to either bootcamp or VMWare.

Quote:

Quote:

You say that up until you have to sit in front of one for an extended session.

I used to use a 32" 1080p HDTV for a display.  A nice sIPS panel that was relatively quick, little ghosting and the best gaming HDTV on the market at the time.  Did hours and hours of code development on it.  Wouldn't use if for graphics work, I doubt it calibrates well.

A decent quality 27" eIPS monitor at 1080p IMHO would be just fine.

Quote:

Quote:

Personally I think you are nuts for even considering this machine. Go with a Mac and get some AppleCare. AppleCare is highly reccomended for college students, whereas for others it is a more debatable expense. However don't buy the Mac until the last possible minute so that you hopefully get a significantly upgraded machine. As it is you have two months to wait for that update.

In the grander scheme of things though I'm not convinced that an all in one is that smart of a move. As it is currently designed I really don't like the iMac or similarly designed machines. There is simply too much custom designed hardware. Hardware that is hard to access by the way. Even disk drives are a custom solution.

27" Core i5 computer for $1250 that I can hook up my PS3 and 360 to?  That's not bad and avoids the clutter of another display...I don't have college age kids yet but I can see the draw as a parent.  I gotta buy a computer anyway and this plus an iPad ($400) fills a lot of dorm/college needs for $50 less than a 27" iMac alone ($1700).

Maybe it'll even hackintosh.