Apple expected to certify Lextar iOS-based LED lighting controls

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The chairman of Lextar Electronics has said he expects Apple to certify its Bluetooth LED lighting products for use with iOS devices in the coming months.

Lextar Chairman David Su said he believes approval will be granted in one to two months, according to DigiTimes. Certification from Apple would make Lextar the first provider of iOS-based control of LED lighting.

The company is said to be working on new Bluetooth wireless LED lighting products that would be compatible with iOS devices. Lextar is reportedly working on both hardware and software and is seeking Apple certification.

Certification from Apple is necessary because iOS devices require special authentication for Bluetooth Serial Port Profile devices. Certification will allow Lextar's products to include "Made for iPhone" and "Made for iPad" logos.

The company's LED lighting technology allows users to adjust color temperature, brightness and tone. LED lighting control for Lextar products was released for the Google Android platform in 2011.

Lextar

Tuesday's report noted that Japan accounts for between 30 and 40 percent of sales of Lextar's LED chips, while Europe buys between 20 and 25 percent, Asia Pacific accounts for 20 percent, and the U.S. takes 10 percent.

If Apple does in fact certify Lextar's products, the LED lighting control will join "Made for iPhone" hearing aids that are expected to launch later this year. The new accessibility feature of the forthcoming iOS 6 operating system update was highlighted last week by Apple at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [SIZE=7][I][U][B]DIGITI[/B][/U][/I][/SIZE]–ah, forget it. This isn't that important a rumor anyway. :lol:

How about we get an application that does EVERYTHING, hmm? Have Apple make it, even. Call it Home Control, and it interfaces with your lights, your Nest, and eventually all your appliances. I don't want to be jumping between 20 apps.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member

I'm with you.  I've been looking into this lately, and was really impressed with Z-Wave stuff, and now I want the Nest which is Zigbee only, but there's not a lot of other good Zigbee stuff out there (blinds, door locks, shades, etc are lacking).  Also there's X-10, which is a bit old, and about 3 or 4 other wired and wireless home automation solutions out there.  Would be nice if there was a way to use whatever you want without worrying about the standard its on.

• Reply 3 of 7
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Would not doubt that Apple has their eye on where things are heading with so many appliance or home use possible. I think this will result in some kind of arrangement with T. Fadell (Nest) to branch off and come up with more ideas with a little help from Apple's imagineers.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The chairman of Lextar Electronics has said he expects Apple to certify its Bluetooth LED lighting products for use with iOS devices in the coming months.

when's the last time a chairman or ceo announced they were expecting apple to not certify something? of course they're expecting certification. generates some free publicity. except for that whole digitard thing.
  • Reply 5 of 7

Would someone care to explain how this technology works?  I am fascinated that you can use it to adjust the color/tone of your LED bulbs, but how?  Is this technology being used in residential environments? 

• Reply 6 of 7

Quote:

would make Lextar the first provider of iOS-based control of LED lighting.

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. There are plenty of home automation systems that can control any type of lighting, including LED. Indigo from Perceptive Automation, for instance, has had an iOS app that controls INSTEON, Z-Wave, X10, and a bunch of other hardware via their home automation server for the Mac.

• Reply 7 of 7
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    dangcookie wrote: »
    Would someone care to explain how this technology works?  I am fascinated that you can use it to adjust the color/tone of your LED bulbs, but how?  Is this technology being used in residential environments? 
    I think the bulb has to be built to be color adjustable for that to work. The rest of the standards basically are meant to enable home automation. Since I have 4 kids that manage break almost anything, I buy non automated stuff. I use the kids as my home automation system. It's a bit whiny to use my system but it works fairly well.