Apple issues iOS 6 beta 2 to developers with keyboard fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday issued its second beta of iOS 6 for developer testing, including a pair of fixes related to touchscreen keyboard performance.

Developers began receiving word that an update was available from "AppleInternal" on Monday afternoon. The "operating system 6.0" update is a 322-megabyte download for iPhone 4S users.

People familiar with iOS 6 beta 2 said it is identified as build "10A5338d." When updating to the new software version in the Settings application, the icon with gears is animated and actually moves.

The release notes that accompany the update reportedly indicate that Apple fixed an issue where key clicking sounds could be skipped during fast typing. Apple also indicated it addressed an issue in which the keyboard would be wrongly positioned when switching from landscape to portrait orientation.

Apple also reportedly fixed an issue where the iOS SpringBoard may crash during a phone call if the screen would fade to black when using a speakerphone or headphones. It also addressed a crash that would occur if a new iCloud account was created during initial setup of the iOS device.

iOS 6

The latest iOS 6 beta also adds the podcasts section back into the iTunes application. That was missing from the first beta, and there have been rumors that Apple plans to introduce a standalone podcast application when iOS 6 officially launches this fall.

iOS 6 beta 2 is compatible with the third-generation iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and fourth-generation iPod touch.

Also released on Monday were Xcode 4.5 Developer Preview 2, as well as a second beta of the next software update for the Apple TV set-top box.

iOS 6 was formally announced earlier this month at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. Developers were also provided with the first beta after its unveiling, allowing them to test their applications before the formal public launch this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apparently the Settings icon animates.

Perhaps that means we'll have live updates to iOS app icons?
  • Reply 2 of 30

Quote:

iOS 6 beta 2 is compatible with the third-generation iPad

Is the third gen iPad an iPad 3 or is there some other "third" first iPad that I need to be looking for?

• Reply 3 of 30
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I noticed that too. Very cool.

• Reply 4 of 30

That animated icon is very cool. It reminds me of "Game of Thrones".

• Reply 5 of 30
    nkingmannkingman Posts: 44member

Video of the update with animation:

• Reply 6 of 30
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apparently the Settings icon animates.

Perhaps that means we'll have live updates to iOS app icons?

Probably not. This is just an animated graphic inside the Settings app; it's not the actual icon on the Springboard.

• Reply 7 of 30
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Funny how the highlight of the update is the gear animation.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    darkpaw wrote: »
    Probably not. This is just an animated graphic inside the Settings app; it's not the actual icon on the Springboard.

It's the first animation in the OS other than the spinning wheel for when it's starting up or shutting down. And it's an animation BASED on an icon. I think that's significant.

And I also think live tiles will only work on the sixth iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    The Settings Icon animation was unexpected and seems elegant for some reason.

Live App Icons would be a very visible rethinking (not innovative though) of the iPhone user interface. This could be one of the marquee features for the new iPhone as you suggest. I think the PowerVR SGX543MP4 (underclocked) could handle live app icons. If Apple animates app icons I think they will limit the animation to a few icons such as weather. Despite many Android pundits blasting Apple iOS's lack of live icons very few Android users use live icons significantly and often limit updates to every 15 minutes or less often.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Is the third gen iPad an iPad 3 or is there some other "third" first iPad that I need to be looking for?

The third-generation iPad is the one that was recently released (with the Retina Display). This is to prevent confusion since there are two iPads with the same numberless name (and no number).

first generation, 2010: iPad

second generation, 2011: iPad 2

third generation, 2012: iPad

Apple does not refer to the third-generation iPad as the "iPad 3." It is simply referred to as the "iPad." Naturally, there are different model numbers for the first and third generation models, but it is easier to refer to them by generations.

• Reply 11 of 30

Kindle still crashes in iOS 6

• Reply 12 of 30
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    Thats more of a Kindle app issue than an iOS 6 issue. Remember these betas are for developer use only. They are so developers can start working on getting their apps running in iOS 6 using the new API’s. Don’t expect everything to work. It’s a beta for a reason.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Kindle still crashes in iOS 6

It is a developers beta and not intended to be used for your everyday device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topdrag View Post

Thats more of a Kindle app issue than an iOS 6 issue. Remember these betas are for developer use only. They are so developers can start working on getting their apps running in iOS 6 using the new API’s. Don’t expect everything to work. It’s a beta for a reason.

The API changes are 100 pages long. I actually surprised that most apps are working with iOS 6.

• Reply 14 of 30
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    nasserae wrote: »
    The API changes are 100 pages long. I actually surprised that most apps are working with iOS 6.

Yeah exactly. thats why people shouldn’t complain when apps are not working. Kinda grinds my gears when people install iOS betas for everyday use when they shouldn't and then complain about issues and bugs. I use my iPhone 4S with iOS 6 for everyday use but I also am working on application development. I don’t have the cash to buy a separate device to build apps and test on.
  • Reply 15 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topdrag View Post

I'm a developer, I do understand it is for developers.  However, I know If an App stops working on the new OS, it may be because the API changed, deprecated, feature omitted for the current version, or it was simply a bug in the new OS.  It is really not an "issue",  just a lot of work ahead of us.

• Reply 16 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I'm a developer, I do understand it is for developers.  However, I know If an App stops working on the new OS, it may be because the API changed, deprecated, feature omitted for the current version, or it was simply a bug in the new OS.  It is really not an "issue",  just a lot of work ahead of us.

Don't play games that much but I noticed DrawSomething didn't work in Beta 1, works now in Beta 2 with no app changes. So far happier with Beta 2, 1 had serious lag issues all over (to be expected)

• Reply 17 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Apple remains on the proven track. Instead of adding "Live Tile" nonsense and widgets that eat up the home screen, they perfect the user experience - even with items you might only see once in several months, or, for some users, never at all.

Just like the "Genie" effect of the OS X dock is not just a gimmick, it actually shows people where the minimized windows go, the spinning cog wheels in the update screen clearly say that the system is working on something. And the attention to detail is, as always. putting a smile on faces.... yes, the smaller wheels turn faster than the big one - there is no other company on earth that would even fund a minute to work on something like that. This, and the gyroscope-powered volume slider with its changing reflection in the Music app, are my personal highlights in iOS 6. Not because they are actually needed - or make a good impression on a checklist - but because they show that Apple is still Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    [quote name="dreyfus2" url="/t/150898/apple-issues-ios-6-beta-2-to-developers-with-keyboard-fixes#post_2134034"]Apple remains on the proven track. Instead of adding "Live Tile" nonsense…[/QUOTE]

I sort of like the idea, at least for the Weather and Stocks apps. All the others can be taken care of with the badges we already have.

[QUOTE]…and widgets that eat up the home screen[/QUOTE]

Though I agree about that. I don't get the point.

[QUOTE]…the spinning cog wheels in the update screen clearly say that the system is working on something.[/QUOTE]

I wonder, do they animate on the Springboard if you move away from Settings?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Installing now. My safari browser was crashing after opening new pages. Had to change the settings to where the pages opened in the background to fix. Glad to see a new update out so soon.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Apple remains on the proven track. Instead of adding "Live Tile" nonsense…
    I sort of like the idea, at least for the Weather and Stocks apps. All the others can be taken care of with the badges we already have.
    …and widgets that eat up the home screen
    Though I agree about that. I don't get the point.
    …the spinning cog wheels in the update screen clearly say that the system is working on something.
    I wonder, do they animate on the Springboard if you move away from Settings?

Well, weather and stocks are in the notification overlay, which is, IMHO, ok. Of course, having support for live icons (other than for the Calendar app) would open up some additional possibilities for developers. How to teach thousands of developers some taste and style might be a different question though...

:-) Ok, that point was certainly not well presented... I had to configure our Exchange account on a colleague's Samsung Note today. Thanks to a huge, but widget-occupied home screen, I had to swipe around recklessly for quite some time to even find what I was looking for. When I asked him, if he even uses that huge clock and weather data, "there is a wall clock in my office and I can see the weather through the window" was the answer. Pretty much sums up my need for widgets.

No, unfortunately the animation only shows up in the Settings app (for now), the Springboard icon does only show a "1" badge to indicate the availability of an update. Agree, having the animation replicated there would be much better.