Jaguar installation on new iBook: Archive and Install or Erase and install

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Got a new iBook and the only thing I've loaded onto it is a printer driver and MS Office. So, there's not much I'd have to reinstall.

Should I go with the Archive and install or the erase and install? Any pointers would be appreciated?

Do I need to back up anything? (remember, nothing, pretty much has been installed yet)

Do I need OS 9 at all? I wouldn't think so since I'm a switcher and have no OS 9 things.

Again, any pointers would be appreciated. I need a lot of handholding as I take the Mac plunge (although I was happy to upgrade the memory on my iBook to max it out today. I'm pretty new to this and I'll take all the small victories.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by gozo:

<strong>Got a new iBook and the only thing I've loaded onto it is a printer driver and MS Office. So, there's not much I'd have to reinstall.

Should I go with the Archive and install or the erase and install? Any pointers would be appreciated?

Do I need to back up anything? (remember, nothing, pretty much has been installed yet)

Do I need OS 9 at all? I wouldn't think so since I'm a switcher and have no OS 9 things.

Again, any pointers would be appreciated. I need a lot of handholding as I take the Mac plunge (although I was happy to upgrade the memory on my iBook to max it out today. I'm pretty new to this and I'll take all the small victories.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since u do not have much programs in it, its better to erase everything and have a clean install. Apple also recommend such a move.

If u are a new switcher, I guess you will not be very fancied by OS 9. Its faster than OS X, even though its interface isn't as nice. Some programs like warcraft3 run faster on OS 9, and some programs like quickbook run on OS 9 only. But OS 9 is dying and most of the new programs run for OS X now. So unless u need to run OS 9 only software, u will be VERY fine without OS 9.

Since u have no music or movie files(I assumed), there is no need to backup anything. Perhapes your printer driver if u do not have the softcopy. And I am assuiming again you have the MS office CD

One more thing. Go download 10.2.1 after u install jaguar. And get applications like Video Lan Client and ical.

Welcome to the mac community

P.S: New ibooks are coming out on Nov 6. Dun get too mad
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jaskejaske Posts: 73member
    Erase and install. You'll gave a modest amount of hard drive space, and I think X runs a bit faster when it is the sole OS on the hard drive. Since 10.1 I've run OS X only on several macs, including an iBook 700, and I've encountered no problems. Of course, I've needed no 9-only applications.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I would Archive & Install, simply because you may not wish to get rid of OS 9 yet. I know I've still got some older software which has an OS 9-only installer application, even though the software is Carbon.

If you're sure you'll never have to touch OS 9 again though, Erase would work better.