Apple's iPhone 4S remains top selling smartphone at Verizon

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is said to be "gaining ground," the Apple's iPhone 4S reportedly remains the best selling smartphone at Verizon, the largest carrier in the U.S.

The details were provided on Tuesday by Michael Walkley, analyst with Canaccord Genuity, to AppleInsider. He said Motorola's latest Android-based handset is not believed to have overtaken the iPhone in sales at Verizon.

That disputes what competing analyst Anil Doradla of William Blair said in a separate note issued Tuesday. Doradla's own channel checks, according to Apple 2.0, found that the Droid Razr Maxx has been the best selling smartphone at Verizon in June, bumping the iPhone to second place.

But that's not the case, according to Walkley, who said while the latest Razr is "gaining ground," it "hasn't caught iPhone." His own research has found the iPhone 4S as the top selling smartphone at Verizon, as well as AT&T and Sprint, for the entirety of 2012 thus far.

In a research note issued earlier this month, Walkley revealed that in the month of May, the iPhone 4S was the top selling smartphone in the U.S., despite what he called "gradual share losses" at each carrier. The iPhone 4S remained more popular than the Razr Maxx and Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which took second and third place, respectively, at Verizon in May.

Verizon

At AT&T, the iPhone 4S also proved more popular than the second-place Nokia Lumia 900, and the third-place Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. And at Sprint, the iPhone 4S topped the second-place Samsung Galaxy Nexus and third-place Samsung Galaxy S II.

But the iPhone 4S, which hit the market last October, now faces perhaps its biggest competitor yet in the form of Samsung's new Galaxy S III. It debuted in the U.S. last week with limited availability, but will eventually be available on all four of the largest carriers in the U.S. over the coming weeks.

Samsung said this week it is working to keep up with strong demand for the Galaxy S III, and the company expects to sell 10 million units to its carrier partners in July. Apple is expected to introduce its successor to the iPhone 4S later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    MacRumors seems to have a different take on it.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    MacRumors seems to have a different take on it.

MacRumors lives in its own little world where Apple fans are banned and trolls run free.

Also, *ahem* That can't be the case! Samsung shipped more devices! The iPhone can't be outselling it!
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Either way, it looks like high end Android phones like the Maxx are gaining ground.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Juggle the numbers all you like, people are still happier with their iPhones :) I get little value from enjoying my device’s “sales ranking.” I get value from ease of use and quality of apps.

• Reply 5 of 54
    MacRumors lives in its own little world where Apple fans are banned and trolls run free.

1) Arn just made an update to his blog. It's two different reports not conflicting views on the same report. I guess now we can debate which one is more accurate.

2) I like Arn and his blog, while not even close to the thoroughness of AI, does have its charms. What I can't stand about his site if the forums. It's a bit unfair to compare it to AI forums because the posters here are, on the whole, much more objective and thoughtful in their understanding, desire to understand, and desire to communicate well that there is no other forum I frequent that even comes close. I don't know much of that is due to chance or to the overall design of AI but I'll take it either way.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    nagromme wrote: »
    Juggle the numbers all you like, people are still happier with their iPhones :) I get little value from enjoying my device’s “sales ranking.” I get value from ease of use and quality of apps.

Yeah, the bottom line is, as long as you're happy with your phone, that's what matters. To be fair, though, tons of Android users are happy with their phones as well.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Either way, it looks like high end Android phones like the Maxx are gaining ground.

It's good to see a single Android phone do well, especially one by Moto (go USA!), but we need to keep in mind that even if it does overtake the iPhone 4S that device is EOL as the flagship device and has stayed on top since debuting almost a year ago. We should expect customers to catch on to a company that does consistent YoY releases and I think it'll be a long time before an Android-based vendor catches up to Apple's success on that front.
  • Reply 9 of 54

This IS useful news, with regards to what is the singularly most popular device.

But there are alot more Android devices than fit on that table. Aggregating the sales figures by platform would be a more useful comparison IMHO.

• Reply 10 of 54

From a sales perspective Verizon actively pushes Android phones over iPhones.  I had a relative go to a Verizon store to get an iPhone and she walked out with an Android (which she later wasn't happy with).

It's amazing the iPhone is still #1 considering how the retailer actively tries to get customers to choose other options (which don't cost them as much money presumably).

• Reply 11 of 54
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Apple being number is old news, the fact that companies are making ground is the real news story.  The old retort of "Android only sells cheap phones" is evidently wrong based on this graph.  All the phones listed are high end smart phones for the perspective company.

• Reply 12 of 54
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

From a sales perspective Verizon actively pushes Android phones over iPhones.  I had a relative go to a Verizon store to get an iPhone and she walked out with an Android (which she later wasn't happy with).

It's amazing the iPhone is still #1 considering how the retailer actively tries to get customers to choose other options (which don't cost them as much money presumably).

I love the friend of a friend of a friend who knows a friend who is unhappy with something statements.  I guess if you never actually use a product, knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone will make due. 

• Reply 13 of 54
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Not surprising since the only phone that runs iOS is the iPhone. If you count all Android and all iOS then Android sells more. This comparison is worthless since Apple only sells one phone, the iPhone. I would like to see the numbers based on models iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, Galaxy SIII, SII, yada yada. (I still prefer the iPhone) At least this would give a better comparison between iOS devices and Android devices.

• Reply 14 of 54
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member

I am sure your being sarcastic, but just in case your not It would be easy for Apple to out sell Samsung even if Samsung shipped more phones then Apple, let's say Samsung shipped 20,000,000 phones and sold only 2,000,000, and Apple shipped 15,000,000 but sold 14,500,000 that's how Apple is out selling dumb Samsung.

• Reply 15 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Arn just made an update to his blog. It's two different reports not conflicting views on the same report. I guess now we can debate which one is more accurate.
    2) I like Arn and his blog, while not even close to the thoroughness of AI, does have its charms. What I can't stand about his site if the forums. It's a bit unfair to compare it to AI forums because the posters here are, on the whole, much more objective and thoughtful in their understanding, desire to understand, and desire to communicate well that there is no other forum I frequent that even comes close. I don't know much of that is due to chance or to the overall design of AI but I'll take it either way.

Its definitely thanks to posters as yourself that make this forum much better than the "I know you are but what am I" and "I'm rubber you're glue...." that goes on at other sites.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Not surprising since the only phone that runs iOS is the iPhone. If you count all Android and all iOS then Android sells more. This comparison is worthless since Apple only sells one phone, the iPhone. I would like to see the numbers based on models iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, Galaxy SIII, SII, yada yada. (I still prefer the iPhone) At least this would give a better comparison between iOS devices and Android devices.

Unless you bring facts into it. Last quarter carrier activation numbers (their sales plus Apple Store, etc.) clearly showed that Apple sold more devices in the US than all Androids combined (73% of all new smartphones at AT&T, 53% at VZ and >50% at Sprint). Unless T-Mobile and the tiny local carriers somehow can somehow reverse that trend (highly unlikely). What is apparent is that the iPhone 4S sells multiples of the next phone down the list. This will decline as we get to the quarter before the next iPhone but it doesn't change the facts so far this year. The data that says that Android outsells Apple in the US comes from survey data of a few thousand consumers. I trust the carrier sales data personally. This data above means nothing without actual sales numbers. 4S could be 5X the Razr Maxx for all we know.

PS The 4S is reputedly about 75% of total iPhone sales. Not many opt for saving a few bucks on the weaker models given how expensive the plans are on all 3 main carriers. The table in the OP already breaks it out by model (see 4S, 4 are separate).

• Reply 17 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bcrules82 wrote: »
    But there are alot more Android devices than fit on that table. Aggregating the sales figures by platform would be a more useful comparison IMHO.

Not really…
  • Reply 18 of 54
    lamewing wrote: »

But its 3 iterations of the iPhone and each has differences, Siri only runs on the 4S so the user experience isn't 100% the same with those that own a earlier model.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I love the friend of a friend of a friend who knows a friend who is unhappy with something statements.  I guess if you never actually use a product, knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone will make due. 

Nice deflection of the key point which is not that his mum didn't like her Android but that VZ actively pushes people away from the iPhone because it is more expensive for them to acquire (subsidy is $100-200 more) and nets not much more revenue than a cheaper Android sale. Thus the OPs point stands.

His mum not liking Android was just gravy... ;-)

• Reply 20 of 54
    capnbob wrote: »

Unless you bring facts into it. Last quarter carrier activation numbers (their sales plus Apple Store, etc.) clearly showed that Apple sold more devices in the US than all Androids combined (73% of all new smartphones at AT&T, 53% at VZ and >50% at Sprint). Unless T-Mobile and the tiny local carriers somehow can somehow reverse that trend (highly unlikely). What is apparent is that the iPhone 4S sells multiples of the next phone down the list. This will decline as we get to the quarter before the next iPhone but it doesn't change the facts so far this year. The data that says that Android outsells Apple in the US comes from survey data of a few thousand consumers. I trust the carrier sales data personally. This data above means nothing without actual sales numbers. 4S could be 5X the Razr Maxx for all we know.

PS The 4S is reputedly about 75% of total iPhone sales. Not many opt for saving a few bucks on the weaker models given how expensive the plans are on all 3 main carriers. The table in the OP already breaks it out by model (see 4S, 4 are separate).

You're forgetting the multitude of smaller carriers that have mostly android phones. There are many android phones running on Metro PCS, Boost, etc....