Request To Be Able To Delete Our Own Posts, Mark As Hidden, Or Everyone To DownVote

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
This is perhaps self-explanatory. I think we should be able to hide or delete our own posts, I think it would be a good feature. It can still be on record for moderators to review, but given how passionate people (well, me anyways) are, I think the right of free speech is also the right to retract our statements without having to go in and edit everything.

We do have a right to express our views, and when either criticised or educated on this, we should delete or hide our posts so as to be able to return to the "discussion table" fresh and ready for the next round of debate.

This could improve the forums in some way by people deciding that maybe they were too upset, angry, or too much of a dick.

In this way perhaps we can self-police ourselves.

For example, individual posters can delete/hide their own posts once we realise things are getting too crazy.

Additionally [B]downvoting[/B] can be seen successfully reducing spam and ludicrous/inflammatory statements. Like, for example, 10 downvotes or more and that post is automatically hidden, but viewable by people clicking on a triangle thingy or something.

Similarly, 10 upvotes or more can be highlighted in some way, as such encouraging people to post well.

Again, I in my current or previous incarnations am not the best example, but I do know these measures would help me help myself and help me help others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Giving people post deletion allows for people to post trolling or wholly offensive crap, get replies, and then delete it. Post deletion is a bad idea.

Downvoting is a bad idea. I don't even like upvoting. We have an Ignore feature where you can ignore all posts from a specific user.

[QUOTE] I in my current or previous incarnations am not the best example[/QUOTE]

Who [I]were[/I] you?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Who were you?

A certain fan of a GPU made several years ago. You know... It's not to spam, I've tried many times to retire that username so as to try and be more of who I am now, warts and all.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Giving people post deletion allows for people to post trolling or wholly offensive crap, get replies, and then delete it. Post deletion is a bad idea.
    Downvoting is a bad idea. I don't even like upvoting. We have an Ignore feature where you can ignore all posts from a specific user.

OK, maybe deleting your own post is a bad idea, but downvoting can still help because it's not always the poster, sometimes it is a post or a streak of posts that you want to remove from the threads. It's more post-oriented "moderation" rather than user-oriented, I feel.

It could help that trolling or seriously offensive stuff just gets heavily downvoted and then hidden, rather than everyone try to jump in to reply. Then maybe the mods could periodically purge downvoted posts and have statistics on which users have the most downvotes, and decide accordingly then for further action or not. It could make things more systematic rather than a tough situation of judgement calls by mods.

Also only logged-in users can use ignore lists, whereas downvote hiding applies to ~all~ forum viewers, perhaps also increasing AI's palatability to the public as well.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    (I've also retired my GPU username because it's not fair to that GPU manufacturer to use their name as such with my oh-so-passionate and sometimes, yes, offensive posts. Additionally I don't want to use that huge post count I racked up in unsuitable ways... So, a clean(er) slate, as it were. I hope this is not an issue.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    (I've also retired my GPU username because it's not fair to that GPU manufacturer to use their name as such with my oh-so-passionate and sometimes, yes, offensive posts. Additionally I don't want to use that huge post count I racked up in unsuitable ways... So, a clean(er) slate, as it were. I hope this is not an issue.)

I don't believe it would be. I'd send a PM to lundy asking if he could do what he did with Solipsism's old account to yours, however.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I don't believe it would be. I'd send a PM to lundy asking if he could do what he did with Solipsism's old account to yours, however.

Thanks.