8 months in, 11% of Android devices run 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google's latest publicly released data shows that just 10.9 percent of devices running the Android mobile operating system have been updated to the latest version of the software.

A developer information page provided by Google gives an extensive breakdown (via Business Insider) on devices that accessed the Google Play store in a two-week period ending July 2, 2012. It shows that just 10.9 percent of those users were running some form of Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich," the latest version of the operating system.

The lion's share of Android device users are still running some form of Android 2.3, also known as "Gingerbread." That version of the operating system was found on 64 percent of devices that accessed Google Play.

Google's website allows developers to decide how to prioritize development of application features, based on what the current Android usage patterns are. The data clearly shows that after 8 months of availability, Android 4.0 is still only found on a relatively small number of handsets.

In fact, more users are still running version 2.2 of Android. "Froyo" accounted for 17.3 percent of devices that accessed Google Play, according to Google.

Though adoption of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is limited, Google is pushing forward with the next update to its mobile operating system, Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean." That software update will be released in July.

Android

But as noted by The Verge, third-party device manufacturers have been largely silent as to when or if current devices will receive the upgrade to Jelly Bean. That means that only some of Google's own devices — the Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom and Nexus S — will receive the update when it arrives in mid-July.

When asked what handsets will receive Jelly Bean and when it will become available, Acer, Asus and HTC all declined to comment, LG said it is evaluating the software update, and Samsung said a list of eligible devices is forthcoming.

The problem in providing updates is that third-party Android device makers develop their own "skins" to provide a unique user interface experience on their handsets. This allows the software and hardware on a handset to be differentiated from other options on the market.

But customizations to Android like HTC's Sense and Samsung's TouchWiz take time to create, and must be updated or overhauled every time Google provides its own updates to the Android platform. That means that legacy devices are often left behind, which is why a majority of Android handsets continue to run Gingerbread, which was released in December of 2010.

Apple doesn't publicly break down what versions of iOS iPhone users are running, but some third-party surveys have consistently shown that iPhone users are far more likely to update their handset to the latest operating system update. Last fall, just five days after the release of iOS 5, Chitika found that more than 20 percent of iOS devices it tracked had updated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And, according to 9to5Mac, apparently 10% of the devices that visit their site are already running iOS 6.

I wonder what the numbers are here. In before "Huddler brought that down a ton." :lol:
  • Reply 2 of 115
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    So how is that open source platform workin for you?
  • Reply 3 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Sad.

• Reply 4 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    We need to keep in mind that Android and iOS are in different categories. iOS is the Olympian athletes and Android is some corporate softball or bowling team. There's a lot more of them but they aren't getting sponsorship (mindshare).

And, according to 9to5Mac, apparently 10% of the devices that visit their site are already running iOS 6.

Really/ Wow! What about ML stats? ML is very complete. No complaints. iOS 6b2 still has a lot of issues, as one can imagine. Most problematic is the lag on the iPhone 4, especially for Maps and iPod apps.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

So the choice is slow adoption to all features, or full adoption where you lose out on the key features (iOS). I'll take slow adoption and community support.

• Reply 6 of 115
    shidell wrote: »
    So the choice is slow adoption to all features, or full adoption where you lose out on the key features (iOS). I'll take slow adoption and community support.

Of course you will. ????
  • Reply 7 of 115

So all Android devices with the same version number have all the same features? Good one¡
  • Reply 8 of 115

Did you get emoji support in iOS 6, Tallet Skil? Pretty nice of Apple to port that for you. Wouldn't want you to lose out emoji, like everything else. That'd be a shame.

• Reply 9 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So all Android devices with the same version number have all the same features? Good one¡

Nope, but that's the glory of Android. Diversity. 

• Reply 10 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

So how is that open source platform workin for you?

Android = Adequate

• Reply 11 of 115
    Did you get emoji support in iOS 6, Tallet Skil? Pretty nice of Apple to port that for you. Wouldn't want you to lose out emoji, like everything else. That'd be a shame.

???? ???? ????

You're not doing much for credibility.
  • Reply 12 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

???? ???? ????

And you are?

• Reply 13 of 115
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member
    So you're slow because you take slow... It makes sense
  • Reply 14 of 115
    @ Shidell,

You're getting awfully close to crossing over from an anti-Apple, dissenting viewpoint to just being an annoying thread-jacking troll. My suggestion to draw the line here. This far! No farther!
  • Reply 15 of 115

Quote:

???? ???? ????

Hey, he gave it the old college, er, junior high school try. 

• Reply 16 of 115
    And you are?

I don't recall implying anything about any one side in this argument. The market has shown which side has the best satisfaction and retention.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Nope, but that's the glory of Android. Diversity. 

A "diversity" that has propelled iPhones running iOS (and indeed EVERY device running or that has ever run iOS) into the #1 positions for consumer satisfaction across the board, for more consecutive years now than I can recall. 

"Android Diversity" = an inferior user experience for the bulk of the market. 

• Reply 18 of 115
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

and 100% of phones have 100% of ICS features

Compared to apple where 80% of phones have the latest OS yet only about 20% of those that have the latest OS actually have all of its features......

For the life of me i could never figure out wy android guys don't just use the apple model and send a port of the latest OS with half of it chopped out just so you can say "yeah, 80% have it"

• Reply 19 of 115
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Pathetic. And they're already releasing that jellybean crap. Hahaha. I pity Fandroids.

• Reply 20 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Shidell,

You're getting awfully close to crossing over from an anti-Apple, dissenting viewpoint to just being an annoying thread-jacking troll. My suggestion to draw the line here. This far! No farther!

Perhaps you're right. However, it's rather unfortunate that one cannot dissent here without having to resort to such tactics. The majority of members here are anti-Android, and if not for Android, would be anti-Microsoft (if they aren't already.) It's simple "us-or-them" mentality.

Some amount of respect is in order for those who are open to all.

Quote:

I don't recall implying anything about any one side in this argument. The market has shown which side has the best satisfaction and retention.

Because Android has the majority of not only the US, but also the world market?

Looking at Android's adoption figures is in no way comparable to iOS adoption figures. Android is designed to run on very diverse hardware. Hardware that doesn't necessarily have to include a Bluetooth radio,  a screen, etc.

I can't understand how you could post such an item and attempt to make a mockery of adoption rates, when the updates provided to iOS are stripped down to fit older hardware, and done mostly to make older products appear "current" to consumers. iOS6 on an iPhone 3GS is the equivalent of Android 2.3 running on the original HTC EVO 4G.