Bloomberg: Smaller iPad to launch by year's end

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Amid the flurry of rumors surrounding a possible smaller format iPad release, Bloomberg on Tuesday claimed inside knowledge of Apple plans to roll out the device by the end of 2012.

Coming off an earlier report from the Far East regarding an IGZO display-sporting 7.85-inch iPad, Bloomberg cited two unnamed sources with knowledge of the launch plans who claim Apple will be debuting a 7- to 8-inch iPad later this year to maintain market dominance in light of heated competition from Microsoft's Surface and a litany of Android-based devices like Google's Nexus 7.

One of the sources said that an announcement may be made in October, the same month analysts see as a likely window for the debut of Apple's next-generation iPhone. The company's upcoming iOS 6 mobile operating system is also expected to hit iDevices during the fall timeframe.

Another source notes that the smaller, cheaper iPad will not feature a high-resolution screen like its big brother and the new MacBook Pro with Retina display though the rumor has yet to be verified.

Apple's iPad with Retina display. | Source: Apple

According to Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu, a more affordable iPad would undermine recent attempts at would-be competitors that hoped to eat into Apple formidable marketshare with attractively priced offerings. Currently the cheapest iPad configuration is the legacy 16GB iPad 2 with Wi-Fi which sells for $399 through Apple's Online Store.

?It would be the competitors? worst nightmare,? Wu said. ?The ball is in Apple?s court.?

Amazon had limited but unprecedented success against the iPad when it released the moderately-priced Kindle Fire in 2011 though recent data shows that sales of the device have slowed.

Microsoft is looking to take a bite out of Apple's share of the tablet market with its Windows 8-based Surface which is set for release this fall. While no official announcement has been made regarding availability, analysts see aggressive pricing as key to the tablet's success.

On the lower end, Google announced its Asus-built Nexus 7, a small-format tablet situated in direct competition of a possible 7-inch iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not looking for any 7" device personally for myself, but I think that Apple should do it. The time is right. One year ago, I wouldn't have said the same thing. People who want the full iPad experience, retina display, longer battery life, more power etc, will get the regular 9.7" iPad and those people who would like a slightly smaller iPad, so that maybe they can throw it in their purses, and carry it with them at all times, can get the smaller version.

But that's not the main reason why I think that Apple should release one. The main reason why I think that Apple should do it, is simply to completely destroy and murder all other 7" tablets out there, and end the silly debate once and for all. It would be a complete bloody and quite lovely massacre. Everything else would be history. They wouldn't even know what hit them.

• Reply 2 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the lower end, Google announced its Asus-built Nexus 7, a small-format tablet situated in direct competition of a possible 7-inch iPad.

i'm going to piss myself laughing if all these companies have been coming out with a 7 inch model because they are certain Apple is going to do the same and they want to be able to say they did it first, only to have to turn out that Apple never does because the rumors were just rumors. 

and then to have Apple continue to kick their butts with the same 'gigantic' 10 inch iPad. 

• Reply 3 of 40
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I'll definitely buy an iPod Touch Maxi
  • Reply 4 of 40
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

Spot on! And with that 7 inch iPad Apple should throw in the that digital wallet technology. Damn! You know how easy it will be to do business like that. OMFG!

Apple knows what time it is. They are probably getting their packaging for the 7 inch just right, if they haven't already.

• Reply 5 of 40

Wow, not one but TWO articles about a smaller iPad in the same day.  MUST be a slow Apple news day!

• Reply 6 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

Wow, not one but TWO articles about a smaller iPad in the same day.  MUST be a slow Apple news day!

Different sources, with this article and source being more reliable, since it's Bloomberg and American.

• Reply 7 of 40
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

I'm not worried about a "cheaper" iPad, I just think a 7 inch size would be nicer... I don't own an iPad right now though I like them, but I'd highly consider grabbing a 7inch.

• Reply 8 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

I'm not worried about a "cheaper" iPad, I just think a 7 inch size would be nicer... I don't own an iPad right now though I like them, but I'd highly consider grabbing a 7inch.

It will certainly be lighter and more portable, but I don't know about it being "nicer". Even though we all know what Steve Jobs said about 7" tablets, I can understand why Apple would release one anyway. Even if Apple does release a smaller iPad, Steve Jobs was not wrong about the UI and the size.

In terms of UI, there are certain apps made for the iPad that could seem a little cluttered when viewed on a smaller screen. And it might be a little difficult to click on tiny buttons if they're on a smaller screen, but that is something that the people who buy the smaller iPad will just have to live with. Or they can just have two iPads, one at home and a smaller one for portability, and I bet that if Apple releases a smaller iPad, quite a few people will end up getting both iPads.

Maybe it won't be that bad on a 7.85" screen, and maybe that's why Apple is reportedly choosing that size instead of 7". At these small screen sizes, every millimeter makes a difference.

• Reply 9 of 40
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not looking for any 7" device personally for myself, but I think that Apple should do it. The time is right. One year ago, I wouldn't have said the same thing. People who want the full iPad experience, retina display, longer battery life, more power etc, will get the regular 9.7" iPad and those people who would like a slightly smaller iPad, so that maybe they can throw it in their purses, and carry it with them at all times, can get the smaller version.

I'd get one for my mother-in-law - she likes using apps on her iPhone but I can tell that she struggles sometimes with the small size. I think an iPad mini would be perfect for her. I probably would find use for one too, since I can't seem to get our regular iPad out of my wife's hands.

• Reply 10 of 40
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member

By the end of the year is a really big time frame. By October or September would be a bit more useable. I'm giving Apple until the end of September before I purchase something else in this size range.

• Reply 11 of 40
    terich22terich22 Posts: 7member

You should look into the nexus 7.  I pre-ordered mine today.  It has a quad core processor and is running Jelly Bean.  I can't imagine that anything apple releases will be much better if better at all.  Plus apple's tab will probably cost a bit more than the 199 starting price of the nexus 7.  It has phenomenal reviews.  Good luck.

• Reply 12 of 40
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

By the end of the year is a really big time frame.

Not really.  You know they won't release it in November or December, so you're looking at the next 4 months.

• Reply 13 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    terich22 wrote: »
    You should look into the nexus 7.  I pre-ordered mine today.  It has a quad core processor and is running Jelly Bean.  I can't imagine that anything apple releases will be much better if better at all.  Plus apple's tab will probably cost a bit more than the 199 starting price of the nexus 7.  It has phenomenal reviews.  Good luck.

Enjoy your Nexus 7.

Fortunately, some people buy cars based on more than the number of cylinders just as some people buy tablets based on more than the number of cores.

Maybe some day you'll grow up and realize that there's more to product quality than simply choosing a single spec and basing everything on that.
  • Reply 14 of 40

Maybe you should take the time to read reviews before commenting.  Even the apple loving "Wired" deemed it an incredible device.  You know it is possible for other companies to create fantastic devices.  Keep on thinking Apple is the only way, it is your loss.  

• Reply 15 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by terich22 View Post

Maybe you should take the time to read reviews before commenting.  Even the apple loving "Wired" deemed it an incredible device.  You know it is possible for other companies to create fantastic devices.  Keep on thinking Apple is the only way, it is your loss.  

I don't need to read any reviews to know that 8 GB is a joke, and 16 GB, which is the max on that device is not a whole lot either. 

With the cheapest model, the 8 GB model, the one that most people will probably choose, how much space will they have left after the OS? Not a whole lot, that's how much.

Apps, games and movies are only getting bigger. A decent quality movie is multiple gigs. 

• Reply 16 of 40

Most people who get this will get it to surf the internet etc.  It is a hard argument to make that 16 gigs in not enough when that makes up the vast majority of Android and Apple sales.  Atleast on the majority of Androids, you can expand the memory, so talking about memory on a Apple site is not the best idea.  I am not looking for an argument, if you don't want the nexus, don't get it, but to assume that it is not a great device is contrary to everything I have read about it by people who have actually used it.  

• Reply 17 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by terich22 View Post

Most people who get this will get it to surf the internet etc.  It is a hard argument to make that 16 gigs in not enough when that makes up the vast majority of Android and Apple sales.  Atleast on the majority of Androids, you can expand the memory, so talking about memory on a Apple site is not the best idea.  I am not looking for an argument, if you don't want the nexus, don't get it, but to assume that it is not a great device is contrary to everything I have read about it by people who have actually used it.  

You're mentioning 16 Gigs, but that is not the $199 model which they will be selling. You also mention the majority of Androids, but we are of course only talking about this one particular Android tablet, the Nexus 7, and that does not have any expandable storage. Neither do iPads, but you can get those in 64 GB versions.

And I'm not arguing, I am merely replying to your post, which you chose to post on this forum.

• Reply 18 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't need to read any reviews to know that 8 GB is a joke, and 16 GB, which is the max on that device is not a whole lot either. 

With the cheapest model, the 8 GB model, the one that most people will probably choose, how much space will they have left after the OS? Not a whole lot, that's how much.

Apps, games and movies are only getting bigger. A decent quality movie is multiple gigs. 

I don't think Amazon's Fire comes in anything but 8GB does it? 

• Reply 19 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think Amazon's Fire comes in anything but 8GB does it? 

I don't believe that it does either, and I also believe that I slammed that tablet when it was first announced.

• Reply 20 of 40

True, this is the first time posting to this site.  I get the feeling that it is sacrilege to mention any device other than Apple, but I guess I should expect that sense it is an "apple insider" website.  I was just trying to let the dude know that he can get a great 7 inch tab without waiting on 4 more months or so.  The 16 gig is only $249, it would be hard to argue that this is not the best value on the market right now, would you agree?