7" iPad is iRedHerring...here comes the TV remote from heaven.

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Does anyone out there agree that the 7" iPad smells fishy and would be an excellent red herring if, say, you were prepping a mini tablet-like remote for your new media/game system?
7" iPad is so contrary to historical apple logic but a cool remote with secondary channel viewing, live trailers, sports stats etc etc would be cool.

Love to know if anyone else is wondering about this possibility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member

Any iOS device can function as a remote, my iPhone and iPad already do.  What would be the point of a uni-tasking dedicated remote?  The 7" tablet makes more sense than that (because it can also be a remote in addition to a full-function tablet).

• Reply 2 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Not sure I want to spend $100 on a TV remote when I already own devices that do exactly what it would do, plus tens of millions of other tasks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure I want to spend $100 on a TV remote when I already own devices that do exactly what it would do, plus tens of millions of other tasks.

Uh, even in a world where there could be a 7" Apple remote (and I don't know where that world may be) it wouldn't be $100. 

• Reply 4 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    venerable wrote: »
    Uh, even in a world where there could be a 7" Apple remote (and I don't know where that world may be) it wouldn't be $100. 

Really? The WiiU controller is going to be close to that, and it has a 7" screen. Consider a 7" remote from Apple would be made of aluminum instead of plastic, be far thinner and compact (engineering required) instead of hand-sized, hold comparable hardware and I/O capabilities, and pop on the Apple profit margin, and you'd be REALLY close to $100.

But as we've said, the idea is nonsensical.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosylee007 View Post

Does anyone out there agree that the 7" iPad smells fishy and would be an excellent red herring if, say, you were prepping a mini tablet-like remote for your new media/game system?

7" iPad is so contrary to historical apple logic but a cool remote with secondary channel viewing, live trailers, sports stats etc etc would be cool.

Love to know if anyone else is wondering about this possibility.

I'm thinking that Apple really is making a 7" device that has a dual purpose, or even yet a third purpose... something that hasn't been mentioned.

I like the idea of secondary channel viewing. Being older and not being able to remember things as well as I used to it would be helpful to be able to see what's on without having to flip a channel on the tv to check it out. Yes, you could do that on the current iPad but then it would interfere with your $500> device when a cheaper 7" device could do the trick... and get you to buy yet another Apple product in the process.

I'd buy a cheaper 7" device long before I added a second 10" iPad into the house.

• Reply 6 of 6
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

I just read a statistic from the end of last year that said "70% of iPad users use it in front of the tv".

Maybe a light went on in Cupertino...