Apple says App Store app crashing error has been fixed

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said on Thursday that it had "rectified" an issue with an App Store DRM server that was causing newly-updated applications to crash on launch.

The Cupertino, Calif., company told AllThingsD in a statement that the problem had only affected a small number of users.

?We had a temporary issue that began yesterday with a server that generated DRM code for some apps being downloaded,? the company said. ?The issue has been rectified and we don?t expect it to occur again."

Users who are still experiencing the issue were directed to delete the applications in question and reinstall them. Earlier on Thursday, Apple reportedly told developers that it was aware of the issue and "working to resolve" it.

Marco Arment, the developer behind the popular read-it-later app "Instapaper," called attention to the problem earlier this week. Counter to Apple's claims that the issue's impact was limited, Arment collected a list of more than 100 apps affected by the problem before he stopped keeping track.

Some app publishers are calling for Apple to remove negative app reviews unfairly that blame developers for the crashing. Macworld reports that, according to its sources, Apple will remove one-star reviews arising from the issue.

The App Store has had an eventful few days. Apple revealed on Thursday that it had removed a Russian malware application from the store after security researchers discovered that the offending app would upload a user's address book without permission and spam contacts with a link to the application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Good... though it'd have been better had it never happened.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    daharder wrote: »

Well maybe they should hire you to be in charge. Because these things would never happen on your watch.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    As always, it's better to read about it than live through things like this. Though I feel bad for the developers with bad reviews as a result.

Imagine if everyone got all up tight every time the electricity went out... That only makes news when hundreds of thousands of people are affected.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Not such a horrible problem considering the alternative...

Android botnet ... (1)

"The past quarter has seen the number of malicious apps double from 10,000 to 20,000 in just one month ..." (2)

"... hundreds of thousands of devices were infected after malware found its way onto the official Google Play marketplace." (2)

"... More worryingly for users, even Google’s official application marketplace, Google Play, was breached, with 17 malicious apps downloaded over 700,000 times before they were spotted and removed from the site..." (2)

"The security firm said at the start of the year, it had found more than 5,000 malicious applications designed to target Google's Android mobile operating system, but the figure has since risen to about 20,000 in recent months. By the coming third-quarter, the firm estimates there will be around 38,000 malware samples, and close to 130,000 in the fourth-quarter." (3)

"... malware targeting Android grew by 3,325 percent in the last seven months of 2011..." (4)

1. Terry Zink. Published 3 July 2012. [URL=http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tzink/archive/2012/07/03/spam-from-an-android-botnet.aspx]Spam from an Android botnet.[/URL] [I]Terry Zink's Cyber Security Blog[/I]. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
    2. Unattributed. Published 2 July 2012. [URL=http://www.trendmicro.co.uk/newsroom/pr/the-true-face-of-the-android-threat/]The True Face of the Android threat[/URL]. [I]Trend Micro[/I]. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
    3. Zack Whittaker. Published 4 July 2012. [URL=http://www.zdnet.com/trend-micro-warns-of-android-malware-pandemic-by-q4-2012-7000000274/]Trend Micro warns of Android malware pandemic by Q4 2012[/URL]. [I]ZDNet[/I]. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
    4. Jeffrey Burt. Published 5 July 2012. [URL=http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Android-Malware-Creates-Smartphone-Botnet-Researchers-Say-256584/] Android Malware Creates Smartphone Botnet, Researchers Say[/URL]. [I]eWeek[/I]. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Many could say the same thing about the Android operating system...

Smiley.png

• Reply 6 of 16
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Wow, no shit. I can tell you've had your Wheaties today.

This is our biggest problem, is it?  While others can barely get their mobile ecosystems off the ground, much less make them popular. Some, like RIM's, never really got started. 

• Reply 7 of 16

Well, is the site really fixed? I just tried to log in and was rejected... actually, the site gave no response. Same after 3 tries. 

• Reply 8 of 16
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    gtr wrote: »
    Many could say the same thing about the Android operating system...

Though of course this paticular issue has absolutely nothing to do with ANY platform other than iOS, rendering your extrmely lame attempt to deflect complete moot.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    daharder wrote: »
    …of course this particular issue has absolutely nothing to do with ANY platform other than iOS…

So the servers that run the iTunes Store use iOS?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Apple... It just works. Except when it doesn't! LOLOLOL

(sorry, just had to do it)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    \Counter to Apple's claims that the issue's impact was limited
    So it wasn't limited?
    Arment collected a list of more than 100 apps affected by the problem before he stopped keeping track.
    If it was not limited and affected every app in the store and every user downloading something, why count anything?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    intelintel Posts: 7member

Lies, all lies from Apple. I am still having the issue with Doomed Heretic and Dooms Knight. Apple and Moalabs aren't doing anything to fix this for me. What should I do?

Process:         PrBoom [8085]

Path:            /Applications/DoomsKnight.app/Contents/MacOS/PrBoom

Identifier:      com.MOALABLLC.2011x01x01xDoomsKnightxMAC

Version:         ??? (???)

App Item ID:     413213284

App External ID: 8684832

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [146]

Date/Time:       2012-07-06 06:40:12.037 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          5317810 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           82

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   70

Anonymous UUID:                      59F0FD58-2F5D-4EBD-B1D7-9D265B44E542

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

Referenced from: /Applications/DoomsKnight.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/SDL_net.framework/Versions/A/SDL_net

Reason: image not found

Binary Images:

0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4163b  dyld 132.1 (???) <4CDE4F04-0DD6-224E-ACE5-3C06E169A801> /usr/lib/dyld
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Though of course this paticular issue has absolutely nothing to do with ANY platform other than iOS, rendering your extrmely lame attempt to deflect complete moot.

Speaking of extrmely lame, how's your spellchecker going?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Technology... It just works. Except when it doesn't! LOLOLOL

(sorry, just had to do it)

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 14 of 16
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    So it wasn't limited?
    If it was not limited and affected every app in the store and every user downloading something, why count anything?

Because it gets Marco more press to make it sound more horrid. He's running scared now that his app might be rendered less needed and he has nothing else going for him. So he's getting buzz however he can. And the blogs are eating it up cause of the page hits they get.

This could have been a case of perhaps one or two aps per person just in the US off that list and maybe 100 for each app, which for the issue isn't really that horrid given the size of the market etc.

But like all things Apple it becomes, even for a day, a --gate for the press hits.

Meanwhile crap like this, and the malware etc could happen hourly with Google Play etc and no blip on the radars because it's so typical for them
  • Reply 15 of 16

Any chance you will develop an app that will work the reverse and I can watch my kids usage of their ipod. I went online and there is nothing out ...[URL=http://www.witrigs.com/ipod-replacement]ipod touch replacement parts[/URL]