Apple rumored to launch third-gen iPad in China on July 27

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
On the heels of a settlement with Proview over the iPad name, Apple is now set to launch its third-generation iPad in mainland China on July 27, according to a new rumor.

The date comes from a Chinese-language report from PCPOP.com filed this week, highlighted by MIC Gadget. The tablet will reportedly be available for purchase in Apple's six retail stores in Greater China, as well as Suning electronics, one of the largest retailers in the country.

The rumored date comes quickly after Apple reached a settlement with Proview and obtained the right to use the iPad brand name in China. That deal is expected to help clear the way for Apple to begin the sale of its third-generation tablet.

The Wi-Fi-only variant of the new iPad gained regulatory approval in China back in late March. Then a month later, in May, the 3G version was also certified for sale by the nation's government.

New iPad

Outside of mainland China, Hong Kong was one of ten places the new iPad went on sale when it launched on March 16. It joined the U.S, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.K, as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Last year, before the trademark dispute with Proview over the iPad name, Apple launched the iPad 2 in China much sooner. The May 6 launch in the mainland drew large crowds, filled with customers and scalpers alike, at Apple's retail locations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I say double the price.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I say double the price.

Let's not bite off our noses to spite our faces.  It isn't Chinese consumers who deserve punishment.

• Reply 3 of 11

the people don't deserve the dubbed price but may get it due to they just got 60 million over it and due to them its behind on sales there in china they don't deserve higher price considering there people make it and they don't get paid good like people in america would if it were to be mad here the minim wage of $7 they don't get there if the iPad were to be made in america with a big foxconn plant here there would be lots of employed people and not so many un employed with foreclosures people in america a foxconn plant in america would be a good idea and make iPads and more make it here sooner due to them not having to be shipped from china even tho all the parts etc would still have to be shipped from there would still make it available sooner foxconn in america and africa would be cool due to it would employ lots of people and more 

• Reply 4 of 11
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

@bcbcbroderick

Jesus.

Please go back to school.

• Reply 5 of 11
    quinney wrote: »
    Let's not bite off our noses to spite our faces.  It isn't Chinese consumers who deserve punishment.

I don't wish to wrongly punish anyone, for sure, but I find it hard to believe they don't have a say in the matter of flagrant copying.
  • Reply 6 of 11

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I don't wish to wrongly punish anyone, for sure, but I find it hard to believe they don't have a say in the matter of flagrant copying.

Really?  By what mechanism would Chinese consumers change the actions of their government or government approved corporations?

Even in the US, a country that is nominally democratic, consumers don't have much of a say.  If they did, we would have a la carte cable subscriptions, mobile phone plans where you only pay for the calls/texts/data you use, banks which are not run by criminals, a public option for healthcare insurance, and many other things.  To expect China, which is far from democratic, to be responsive to the wishes of its consumers is unrealistic.

• Reply 7 of 11
    [quote name="quinney" url="/t/151135/apple-rumored-to-launch-third-gen-ipad-in-china-on-july-27#post_2141875"]Really?  By what mechanism would Chinese consumers change the actions of their government or government approved corporations?[/QUOTE]

By not buying the knockoff products. Of course we have the same say here.
  • Reply 8 of 11

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Really?  By what mechanism would Chinese consumers change the actions of their government or government approved corporations?

By not buying the knockoff products. Of course we have the same say here.

Heh. Yeah, and we buy plenty of the knockoffs. I guess Apple should double our prices too.  Maybe that is the true meaning of the Apple tax.

• Reply 9 of 11
    bratchbratch Posts: 4member

Good for China. All I want to know is when Mountain Lion is actually going to drop. Up to this point, all I've heard is the ambiguous "July." Well, guess what -- it's July. I'm ready to unleash a new breed of lion on this Retina. Anyone know a hard date for the official release?

• Reply 10 of 11
    bratch wrote: »
    Anyone know a hard date for the official release?

July 31*.

*No.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

I say double the price.

Quadruple the price...for Proview employees and management only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bratch View Post

Good for China. All I want to know is when Mountain Lion is actually going to drop. Up to this point, all I've heard is the ambiguous "July." Well, guess what -- it's July. I'm ready to unleash a new breed of lion on this Retina. Anyone know a hard date for the official release?

July 31.5

Okay...I'll be serious now.

Late July.