Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Adding to already mounting rumors circulating about a smaller format iPad a new report claims that the device will be assembled in Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn's Brazil factory starting in September for a holiday release.

According to Japanese language website MacOtakara a "reliable Chinese source" said that while CNC machine testing for Apple's much-rumored 7-inch tablet has completed in China, the actual production of the unit will take place at Foxconn's plant in Brazil which is currently tasked with building iPhones and certain iPad models.

The source goes on to further detail the manufacturing plans and, contrary to recent whispers, quotes September as the expected production start date which will ramp up in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.

While consensus remains on the tablet's 7.85-inch screen size the form factor is somewhat up in the air as the source said the new device will be more akin to a third-generation iPod nano than a shrunken iPad. The prototype device is reportedly the same height as Google's recently-announced Nexus 7 but is slightly wider and manages an iPod touch-like thickness that is said to be slimmer than Amazon's Kindle Fire.

Foxconn Brazil
Foxconn's factory in Jundiai, Brazil.

Also on tap for the "iPad mini" is 3G wireless connectivity, though the source claims to have seen a handling list of carriers slated to receive the device and it seems not every provider that currently sells the iPad will have access to the device at launch.

The Japanese publication's source also agreed with a previously reported rumor that claimed a next-generation iPhone would debut in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [QUOTE]While consensus remains on the tablet's 7.85-inch screen size the form factor is somewhat up in the air as the source said the new device will be more akin to a third-generation iPod nano than a shrunken iPad.[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense to me. I could see it being a larger iPod Touch but an iPod Nano makes no sense.
  • Reply 2 of 167
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

While consensus remains on the tablet's 7.85-inch screen size the form factor is somewhat up in the air as the source said the new device will be more akin to a third-generation iPod nano than a shrunken iPad.

That makes no sense to me. I could see it being a larger iPod Touch but an iPod Nano makes no sense.

Probably a typo... must have meant iPod Touch.

• Reply 3 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I think he meant iPad nano. http://cl.ly/470F0W1x1K1M1s2G0l2a

• Reply 4 of 167
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While consensus remains on the tablet's 7.85-inch screen size the form factor is somewhat up in the air as the source said the new device will be more akin to a third-generation iPod nano than a shrunken iPad.

Makes no sense to me. I checked the measurements of both the 3G iPod Nano and the iPad and the width to height ratio for both is about 1:1.3, though in truth the 3G iPod appears to look more "boxy".

• Reply 5 of 167
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the actual production of the unit will take place at Foxconn's plant in Brazil which is currently tasked with building iPhones and certain iPad models.

While this probably doesn't count toward "bringing manufacturing back to America," at least Apple's getting closer. image

• Reply 6 of 167
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

I am still wondering why, even after "consensus" on the screen size being 7.85" we are still referring to it as a 7" iPad?

The 9.7" iPad is called a 10"… why is 7.85" not being referred to as an 8"...?

Rounding-up inconsistencies…? (For that matter, I think we should always call it what it is.. a 9.7" iPad, or a 7.85" iPad, but I'm in the minority I guess.) 

In any case, If we ARE going to use rounding, IMO the headline should read "8-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch."

• Reply 7 of 167
    stagrepastagrepa Posts: 4member

@waybacmac.

Do you not realize that Brazil is part of America?

Most people confuse America with the United States, when in reality there is something like 32 countries in America.

I mean no disrespect, I just think that most People get there hopes up when we are promised "bringing jobs back to America" turns out not to be more jobs created in the USA.

• Reply 8 of 167
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm wondering if each Mini will come with one of those Brazilian thongs you sometimes see on the beaches there. Certainly a more interesting cover than the bathtub covers.
  • Reply 9 of 167
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Maybe these are going to be the remotes for the new Apple TV sets?

• Reply 10 of 167
    cliphordcliphord Posts: 72member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagrepa View Post

@waybacmac.

Most people confuse America with the United States, when in reality there is something like 32 countries in America.

I mean no disrespect, I just think that most People get there hopes up when we are promised "bringing jobs back to America" turns out not to be more jobs created in the USA.

Anytime an Apple executive might say something like "bringing jobs back to America," he/she is certainly referring to the United States of America, not the "Americas" as you refer.

• Reply 11 of 167
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagrepa View Post

@waybacmac.

Actually… the combined Northern, Central and Southern Americas are referred to collectively as "The Americas"… separately they are known as "North America" (comprising the U.S. and Canada), "Central America" (comprising Mexico and numerous countries south to Panama), and "South America" (comprising numerous countries, including Brazil).

No textbooks that I'm aware of refer to the three areas of the Americas collectively in the singular, "America".

The only country commonly referred to generically in the singular as "America" is the United States of America. 

Brazil is part of South America, or The Americas… 

Are we done splitting hairs now? ;)

• Reply 12 of 167

I was done, and you are correct. I just didn't feel like going that far into detail, especially if they didn't understand what I was trying to say.

• Reply 13 of 167

I never said anything about an Apple executive.

• Reply 14 of 167
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    stagrepa wrote: »
    @waybacmac.

Phew. glad we got that sorted out.
  • Reply 15 of 167
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I am still wondering why, even after "consensus" on the screen size being 7.85" we are still referring to it as a 7" iPad?

The 9.7" iPad is called a 10"… why is 7.85" not being referred to as an 8"...?

Rounding-up inconsistencies…? (For that matter, I think we should always call it what it is.. a 9.7" iPad, or a 7.85" iPad, but I'm in the minority I guess.) 

In any case, If we ARE going to use rounding, IMO the headline should read "8-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch."

I heartily agree. Moreover, because iPads are 4x3 devices, the 7.85" iPad will have a significantly larger screen area than all the other 7" products which are only 16x9 devices.

• Reply 16 of 167
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

As long as Cook doesn't try Spindlering Apple by introducing the Perfroma line of tablets. If there is a small tablet it must have quality and there can only be one of them... imho.

• Reply 17 of 167
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member

I think it would be great news to hear of device assembly being moved to Brazil. I know it reduces the effectiveness of the full supply chain in China, but it also sends a message that China needs to behave manner with regards to worker treatment and the way the intellectual property rights are sorted through their opaque judicial system.

I'd love to hear that Foxconn was building another assembly plant in India, Indonesia, Malaysia or Vietnam.

• Reply 18 of 167
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Actually… the combined Northern, Central and Southern Americas are referred to collectively as "The Americas"… separately they are known as "North America" (comprising the U.S. and Canada), "Central America" (comprising Mexico and numerous countries south to Panama), and "South America" (comprising numerous countries, including Brazil).

I'm sure it's news to Mexico that they aren't part of North America. Does that invalidate the North American Free Trade Agreement?

Central America has always consisted of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama.

• Reply 19 of 167
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Agreed, I think they do mean the iPod Touch...however, the 3rd gen iPod Touch has almost the same relative form-factor to the iPhone 3G/3Gs, just with a chrome finish back panel.  To me, that's taking a step back in design.  But I'd love it if the next iphone looked more like this.  I've been complaining for a while that they should revive the curved back panel.  Just feels so much better to hold than the current iPhone.

HT1353_ipodtouchlate2009.jpg

Now if they meant the 4th gen iPod Nano, that might make a little more sense, since that model had an elliptical cross-section and might add to the rumors of apple doing a curved screen.  And I don't think they mean the literal form factor of the Nano, just in theory.

HT1353_nano5g.jpg

• Reply 20 of 167
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I heartily agree. Moreover, because iPads are 4x3 devices, the 7.85" iPad will have a significantly larger screen area than all the other 7" products which are only 16x9 devices.

I still hold that 7.85" will not be the size produced, mainly because it's not really evenly between 9.7" and 4"(rumored).  That would be 6.85", making 7" (rounded up) a more correct statement.  Being closer to 9.7" might assume that Apple thinks there might be room for a model between 4" and 7.85".  However, i've been saying for a while now I think is going to be more of an enlarged iPod Touch, and they drop the current model.