External HD Music files to iTunes problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

First time poster and a "much to learn" Macbook Pro owner.  I have almost 300GB of music that I have compiled over the years stored on my external WD Passport for Mac HD.  When I click on a music file on the HD, it will play in iTunes but it will be erased from the HD.  I have to manually drag it back to the HD from the iTunes Music Library and even rename the file to add file details like the artist of the song.  

How can I stop iTunes from removing the files/songs from the HD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2

It looks like you have enabled the "Keep iTunes Media Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" options from iTunes Edit > Preferences > Advanced.

Once you play a track from your external HD via iTunes. iTunes would then automatically move the track file to your Media Folder. To find out more about these options, see this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1391

• Reply 2 of 2
    mjdych10 wrote: »
    First time poster and a "much to learn" Macbook Pro owner.  I have almost 300GB of music that I have compiled over the years stored on my external WD Passport for Mac HD.  When I click on a music file on the HD, it will play in iTunes but it will be erased from the HD.  I have to manually drag it back to the HD from the iTunes Music Library and even rename the file to add file details like the artist of the song.  

How can I stop iTunes from removing the files/songs from the HD?

With seeing exactly what it going on its hard to say for certain but the first thing I would check is where iTunes is looking for your media. Its under Advanced in the itunes prefs. Make sure you have it pointing to that drive and try it again.