iOS 6 beta hints Apple Maps could come to Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's new Maps in iOS may not be limited to the iPhone and iPad, as new evidence suggests the company could also bring its in-house mapping solution to the Mac.

Developer Cody Cooper discovered a code dump in the new Maps application in Apple's iOS 6 beta. The code, shared with Technically Personal, mentions a set of Intel-based graphics chipsets found in Mac hardware.

Specifically, the software discovered by Cooper disables features like shading on certain Intel graphics chipsets. He said that some older Intel chipsets have poor support for shading, which is why Apple would want to disable that capability for some Macs. No mention of ATI Radeon chipsets was found.

The code found in the iOS 6 beta suggests that Apple could be planning to bring its new Maps software to its OS X Mac operating system in addition to iOS. Apple's new Maps application for iOS will replace the Google-based offering that has been found in every version of the mobile operating system to date.

Apple unveiled its all-new Maps application last month at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. It features a new crowd-sourced traffic service, built-in turn-by-turn navigation, and integrated user reviews from Yelp.

Maps

Maps in iOS 6 will also feature Siri integration, allowing users to ask for directions or find points of interest by using just their voice. And the new "Flyover" feature has detailed 3D models of cities from around the world.

In anticipation of Apple's Maps announcement, Google unveiled its own enhancements to its mapping software just days before WWDC. The company is rolling out its own three-dimensional mapping imagery, and plans to have communities home to about 300 million people mapped with it by the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The main thing from iOS I would like to see on OS X is the iBooks application, but MapKit would be ok too I guess.

• Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's too bad they aren't bringing this to the entire web. Just as most companies don't understand how Apple's success in HW sales make them so popular Apple doesn't seem tot understand how to make a good cloud-based service. Making iCloud free was a good first step but they need to make it more universal, which includes making maps more universal and robust.
  • Reply 3 of 28

Makes sense. Once you have it up and running for iOS, it shouldn't take too much effort to create a version for the Mac. Also with iCloud integration, it will allow you to look up directions on your computer and have them automatically show up on your iPhone, so the directions are with you when you leave.

• Reply 4 of 28
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new Maps in iOS may not be limited to the iPhone and iPad, as new evidence suggests the company could also bring its in-house mapping solution to the Mac.

Developer Cody Cooper discovered a code dump in the new Maps application in Apple's iOS 6 beta. The code, shared with Technically Personal, mentions a set of Intel-based graphics chipsets found in Mac hardware ...

This is pretty thin evidence isn't it?  They would need that code just for the parts of Maps that already appear in iPhoto (locations) and so forth wouldn't they?  

• Reply 5 of 28
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is pretty thin evidence isn't it?  They would need that code just for the parts of Maps that already appear in iPhoto (locations) and so forth wouldn't they?  

Might be needed to run the Xcode simulator too.

• Reply 6 of 28

This is Apple continuing to remove all Google candies from their products.

• Reply 7 of 28

iEarth instead of Google Earth?

• Reply 8 of 28
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    [QUOTE]The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses. ~ Albert Einstein. 
    [/QUOTE]

Indeed. In our human weakness we can do no better than to use language and a word to describe the infinite source of all that is. That Einstein guy was definitely a genius.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Apple's terrible maps on the desktop as well? No thanks, I'll pass.

I just hope Google can come to the rescue in time with their own Google maps app to save us all losing usable maps post iOS6 'upgrade'. I know iOS upgrades always make devices slower and less reliable (iOS 5 rendered my iPad 1 virtually unusable as it's so slow and crashy, and my iPhone 4 isn't much better) but they at least didn't used to remove vital functionality. 

Next up, iOS 7 with GMail support removed and Google search removed - all replaced with utterly useless Apple in house alternatives. But hey, at least Safari is now decked out in hideous skeumorphic knitwear, and the phone app has an anlogue phone dial with authentic clicking noises circa 1950. 

This anti-Google thing from Apple has to stop, it's hurting customers and wrecking the iOS experience, and I never thought I'd see the day when Google UI design (Jellybean) completely blows away Apple UI design. (the curse of skeumorphism)

• Reply 10 of 28
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I just hope Google can come to the rescue in time with their own Google maps app to save us all losing usable maps post iOS6 'upgrade'. I know iOS upgrades always make devices slower and less reliable (iOS 5 rendered my iPad 1 virtually unusable as it's so slow and crashy, and my iPhone 4 isn't much better) but they at least didn't used to remove vital functionality. 

Next up, iOS 7 with GMail support removed and Google search removed - all replaced with utterly useless Apple in house alternatives. But hey, at least Safari is now decked out in hideous skeumorphic knitwear, and the phone app has an anlogue phone dial with authentic clicking noises circa 1950. 

This anti-Google thing from Apple has to stop, it's hurting customers and wrecking the iOS experience, and I never thought I'd see the day when Google UI design (Jellybean) completely blows away Apple UI design. (the curse of skeumorphism)

How are Apple's maps terrible? I think they're fine so far from my experience with the iOS6 beta. 

I've never had one issue with iOS upgrades making devices slower. Apple doesn't have it's own in house search engine so I have no idea what you are talking about. Analog phone dial? The phone app doesn't have that. An analog phone dial are those old rotary dials. Apple's phone app dials the same like any other smart phone on the market. 

How is being anti-Google hurting customers? That's nonsense. There will still be a Google Maps App provided by Google. Maybe you should buy a Google phone. 

• Reply 11 of 28
    powers14powers14 Posts: 3member

just as Joshua said I'm stunned that a student able to make $7772 in a few weeks on the internet. did you look at this web page NuttyRich.com

• Reply 12 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Specifically, the software discovered by Cooper disables features like shading on certain Intel graphics chipsets. He said that some older Intel chipsets have poor support for shading, which is why Apple would want to disable that capability for some Macs.

This could be for the iOS simulator that runs on Macs.  When you develop an iOS app with Xcode on the Mac, you can (and should) use the simulator for basic testing and design iteration.  Obviously, the iOS simulator is an OS X app.  Hence the Intel graphics chip configuration elements.

The "Intel 945GM" XML element refers to the chipset found in the Integrated GMA 950 graphics core.  Apple used this chipset in late-2006 iMacs.  And as we all know, Apple eventually disallows OS X installation on older machines that lack certain features.  Similarly, the "blacklist" tag could mean that machines old enough to have the GMA 950 graphics are not allowed to run Maps in the iOS simulator.

Of course, there's nothing preventing Apple from bringing their updated Maps app to OS X.  But I think Cooper just stumbled onto the iOS simulator configuration.

• Reply 13 of 28
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

iOS 5 didn't hurt my iPhone 4 (or 3GS) at all- maybe something bad happened on yours.  You bring up Google as a point- they rarely upgrade their old phones. The iPhone does- and here's the kicker- it's free and optional.  If you hear reports it slows it down- don't upgrade.  Easy as that.  The UI of Jellybean is still terrible IMO.  Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder- but I hate all the icons on the top left (at least 4) and top right (5)- and while some icons are cool like the browser- some are terrible- like maps, a non-date telling calendar, or camera.  I mean- a big honking DSLR?  That's worse than Apples OSX calendar by a mile.

I like Google maps a lot- and I think it is absolutely fantastic.  I, too, hope Google maps has an app.  But as Apple hasn't released a public version of their maps, I can't comment which I like better or which will integrate and be more functional for my use.  But I would appreciate options.

iOS6 isn't eliminating google as a search bar- you can still make that the default- no problem.  GMail will obviously always be supported.  Chrome just got released on iOS. So outside of maps- I don't see what the issue is.  And (this is from a secret source)- they are direct competitors.... shh- don't tell anybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I've never had one issue with iOS upgrades making devices slower. Apple doesn't have it's own in house search engine so I have no idea what you are talking about. Analog phone dial? The phone app doesn't have that. An analog phone dial are those old rotary dials. Apple's phone app dials the same like any other smart phone on the market. 

Two things:

1- iOS 4 killed the iPhone 3G- no question.

2- He was making a point- as in the calendar looking like leather, and the address book looking old school as well.  I got it.

• Reply 14 of 28
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iOS 5 didn't hurt my iPhone 4 (or 3GS) at all- maybe something bad happened on yours.  You bring up Google as a point- they rarely upgrade their old phones. The iPhone does- and here's the kicker- it's free and optional.  If you hear reports it slows it down- don't upgrade.  Easy as that.  The UI of Jellybean is still terrible IMO.  Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder- but I hate all the icons on the top left (at least 4) and top right (5)- and while some icons are cool like the browser- some are terrible- like maps, a non-date telling calendar, or camera.  I mean- a big honking DSLR?  That's worse than Apples OSX calendar by a mile.

I like Google maps a lot- and I think it is absolutely fantastic.  I, too, hope Google maps has an app.  But as Apple hasn't released a public version of their maps, I can't comment which I like better or which will integrate and be more functional for my use.  But I would appreciate options.

Two things:

1- iOS 4 killed the iPhone 3G- no question.

2- He was making a point- as in the calendar looking like leather, and the address book looking old school as well.  I got it.

I never had the 3G, so I wasn't aware of problems when iOS 4 came out. I didn't get his point regarding the address book and calendar when he was mentioning the phone and the clicking sound. 

I am sure Google will release an app for iOS6. I too like Google maps, but I do like what Apple is offering as well. The more options, the better. 

• Reply 15 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I just hope Google can come to the rescue in time with their own Google maps app to save us all losing usable maps post iOS6 'upgrade'. 

I was disappointed as well until it was pointed out to me that the Google Maps web app is almost Identical to the native Maps app on the iPhone.

Try it out by visiting maps.google.com in Safari on your iPhone. It has all the mass transit, walking and biking features I was worried about losing. No Street view though. You can obviously bookmark it on your home screen if you like.

• Reply 16 of 28
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Makes sense. Once you have it up and running for iOS, it shouldn't take too much effort to create a version for the Mac. Also with iCloud integration, it will allow you to look up directions on your computer and have them automatically show up on your iPhone, so the directions are with you when you leave.

In reality its was probably prototyped on OS X (definitely in Xcode) and the project probably has multiple groups of targets.The first one being the iOS set of iPhone and iPad and maybe AppleTV targets, and the next logical group be OS X for the iMac, mini, Pro, etc… The final for OS X would tend to have a lower priority since it is one of the key features of iOS 6 and will be delivered first then on to tweaking for OS X and bug fixes for iOS.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    ...the phone app has an anlogue phone dial with authentic clicking noises circa 1950...

I don't believe that what you are using is from Apple. Did you perhaps jailbreak your phone -- that is the only thing that I can think of to explain where you might get some of your nonsense. BTW; Dial phones to which you refer (properly pulse dialed) with the rotary dial came into being decades before the 50's and lasted very commonly into the 70's or early 80's and still are seen (and work) today so I have no idea where your date of 1950's comes from.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I really wish the word skeuomorphism would just die. So you'd like your interface to look like pixels? What do pixels look like, exactly? Nothing. They have no natural state --  they look like whatever it is you're using them to display. If you'd like your interface to be crazy abstract, then knock yourself out, but don't disparage Apple for being "fake". Anything displayed on a monitor is "fake". 

• Reply 19 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I really wish the word skeuomorphism would just die. So you'd like your interface to look like pixels? What do pixels look like, exactly? Nothing. They have no natural state --  they look like whatever it is you're using them to display. If you'd like your interface to be crazy abstract, then knock yourself out, but don't disparage Apple for being "fake". Anything displayed on a monitor is "fake". 

There is no sane reason why Find My Friends (for example) is made to look like stitched leather, or why apple's dreadful podcast app has a reel to reel tape player in the background. It's idiotic, lazy, terrible design.

The work Google are doing with Jelly Bean is clean, stylish, and makes sense. The stuff Microsoft are doing with Metro is beautiful and authentically digital.  Hard to believe Microsoft are now out designing Apple, but they are. Saddest thing of all is the torn notebooks and other bits of horrible Apple design happened under Steve's watch.

• Reply 20 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I don't believe that what you are using is from Apple. Did you perhaps jailbreak your phone -- that is the only thing that I can think of to explain where you might get some of your nonsense. BTW; Dial phones to which you refer (properly pulse dialed) with the rotary dial came into being decades before the 50's and lasted very commonly into the 70's or early 80's and still are seen (and work) today so I have no idea where your date of 1950's comes from.

Maybe I should have spelled out that I was JOKING about what iOS6 will do to the UI. I thought it was obvious from the context, but I guess not for some people.