Apple to launch new iPad in China on Friday, July 20

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced that its new third-generation iPad will debut in mainland China next week, on Friday, July 20.

The new iPad will be available in China through the Apple online store, select authorize resellers, and by reservation from Apple retail stores. Customers can make reservation requests beginning Thursday, July 19 for pickup the following day between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m.

The new iPad Wi-Fi models will be available in black or white for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. The iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular models will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model.

In addition, Apple will also offer the iPad 2, its 2011 model, for $399.

The July 20 launch date announced on Tuesday is a full week earlier than recent reports had suggested the new iPad will debut. Availability of the new iPad in China will come quickly after Apple reached a $60 million settlement with Proview for the right to use the "iPad" brand name in China.

The Wi-Fi-only variant of the new iPad gained regulatory approval in China back in late March. Then a month later, in May, the 3G version was also certified for sale by the nation's government.

New iPad

It was speculated that the trademark dispute with Proview was the main reason the new iPad had not yet debuted in China. Last year, the iPad 2 launched in China on May 6, debuting a month and a half earlier than the new iPad will be introduced in 2012.

Apple's new third-generation iPad initially launched in 10 places around the world on March 16, including Hong Kong, but not mainland China. Other launch territories in March were the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland, and the U.K., as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Funny how just about the last place the iPad is sold is where it is built....

• Reply 2 of 12
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member

I noticed a while back that Horace Dedieu is forecasting 24 million iPads in the June quarter. I'm very curious to see what Apple's June quarter iPad sales actually were, seeing as how the new iPad was not available in China for the entire quarter. My hunch is that his forecast might not have taken into account the delay in iPad sales in China (his forecast seems suspiciously close to a simple doubling of last year's quarter sales). But man -- if he turns out to be anywhere close to being right (say, iPad sales over 20 million), then Microsoft and Android have lost the tablet market and will NEVER get it back. 

• Reply 3 of 12
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I noticed a while back that Horace Dedieu is forecasting 24 million iPads in the June quarter. I'm very curious to see what Apple's June quarter iPad sales actually were, seeing as how the new iPad was not available in China for the entire quarter. My hunch is that his forecast might not have taken into account the delay in iPad sales in China (his forecast seems suspiciously close to a simple doubling of last year's quarter sales). But man -- if he turns out to be anywhere close to being right (say, iPad sales over 20 million), then Microsoft and Android have lost the tablet market and will NEVER get it back. 

24 million... hmmmmmm... once China gets a hold of it, maybe, but I don't put sales above 14 million.

I'd like to be wrong. We'll see.

• Reply 4 of 12
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

24 million... hmmmmmm... once China gets a hold of it, maybe, but I don't put sales above 14 million.

Yeah, I thought his estimate was pretty high, too. 

• Reply 5 of 12

Quote:

And we only have to wait two more weeks to find out the truth.  Liquidate your assets and buy Apple now before it gets to $1000/share :)

• Reply 6 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

And we only have to wait two more weeks to find out the truth.  Liquidate your assets and buy Apple now before it gets to $1000/share :)

Ha! AAPL is being run up right now... those in the know bought at $530-$540 range... get it up to around $630-$640 before earnings and put in a stop loss... can't go wrong.

• Reply 7 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Ha! AAPL is being run up right now... those in the know bought at $530-$540 range... get it up to around $630-$640 before earnings and put in a stop loss... can't go wrong.

Gotta say, as I bought at well under $100 for the most part (although I've added at other prices) I drool at the thought of $1,000 .... and dividends very soon ...

But your right, friends I know didn't get in till high $500s and I tell them to relax.

The next earnings report should be very interesting ... any thoughts?
  • Reply 8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Gotta say, as I bought at well under $100 for the most part (although I've added at other prices) I drool at the thought of $1,000 .... and dividends very soon ...

But your right, friends I know didn't get in till high $500s and I tell them to relax.

The next earnings report should be very interesting ... any thoughts?

I can't help feeling that iPhone numbers are going to disappoint, even with China in the equation, and iPad numbers, although they will be good, will not be as terrific as some of the analysts are expecting.

I think the yoy will be in the black but not even close to the breakneck speed we saw in the last couple of quarters.

If everything I'm thinking comes true then expect the fear factor to take hold because one Apple's slowest quarters is in progress right now and if the 3rd fiscal quarter has already shown to be slow, well...

That's what I honestly feel... but, of course, I could be wrong...

• Reply 9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Funny how just about the last place the iPad is sold is where it is built....

A prophet has no love in  their own land. or so they say

• Reply 10 of 12

Quote:

I can't help feeling that iPhone numbers are going to disappoint, even with China in the equation, and iPad numbers, although they will be good, will not be as terrific as some of the analysts are expecting.

I think the yoy will be in the black but not even close to the breakneck speed we saw in the last couple of quarters.

If everything I'm thinking comes true then expect the fear factor to take hold because one Apple's slowest quarters is in progress right now and if the 3rd fiscal quarter has already shown to be slow, well...

That's what I honestly feel... but, of course, I could be wrong...

How can it disappoint when people in China were reportedly willing to sell body parts just to get an iPhone?

• Reply 11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

How can it disappoint when people in China were reportedly willing to sell body parts just to get an iPhone?

We'll see...

There was a joke in there... but I decided that even I have more taste than that...

• Reply 12 of 12

Well, every one was waiting for the ipad3 release and there is a rumour that it is going to be released on july 20. Hope thats going to be true as the ipad3 has got many unique features with its sleek design is one of the highlighted feature in it.