Color Profiles For 27" Apple Cinema Displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Couldn't find anything decent and was going crazy looking for decent calibration profiles and eyeballing things so I got a Spyder4Pro. Kickass stuff.

If anyone else can contribute, that would be great.

Apple Cinema Display 27" LED (non-Thunderbolt)

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009226

Calibrated with Spyder4Pro

Download Color Profiles here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21386792/AppleLEDCinema27Spyder4Pro.zip

Profile 01 - Seems to be the most aesthetically pleasing, slight pinkish hue to greys which actually becomes imperceptible after a while (Target 6500K or something)

Profile 02 & 03 - A bit more "neutral" but not as pleasing, particularly white and grey pages like *cough* AppleInsider.

Feedback and comments welcome.

I would say that if you still can't find a profile you like, a Spyder4Pro or Xrite or Colormunki definitely brings out the best in the Apple Cinema Display 27".

Edit: Profile 01 above definitely is the way to go. It's so weird how after a while greys look totally neutral and no pink at all. The whites also look very pleasing now. It was bugging me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

These things change over time and they vary from display to display, so this isn't an ideal approach. The reason the Spyder 4 pro and colormunki or i1 display pro would bring out superior results is that they're designed to address issues such as LED backlighting. Older colorimeters were not set up with any suitable means to address such a thing, as it wasn't even in use when they were designed. It's always possible to profile with a spectrophotometer, but colorimeters need an appropriate filter package as they're tuned for a much more narrow range. I would emphasize that no two are alike. Put 3 side by side and they all look just a bit different, although the variation is much less than it was during the era of aluminum frame cinema displays.

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Couldn't find anything decent and was going crazy looking for decent calibration profiles and eyeballing things so I got a Spyder4Pro. Kickass stuff.

If anyone else can contribute, that would be great.

Apple Cinema Display 27" LED (non-Thunderbolt)

Manufacturer: 00000610

Model: 00009226

Calibrated with Spyder4Pro

Download Color Profiles here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21386792/AppleLEDCinema27Spyder4Pro.zip

Profile 01 - Seems to be the most aesthetically pleasing, slight pinkish hue to greys which actually becomes imperceptible after a while (Target 6500K or something)

Profile 02 & 03 - A bit more "neutral" but not as pleasing, particularly white and grey pages like *cough* AppleInsider.

Feedback and comments welcome.

I would say that if you still can't find a profile you like, a Spyder4Pro or Xrite or Colormunki definitely brings out the best in the Apple Cinema Display 27".

Edit: Profile 01 above definitely is the way to go. It's so weird how after a while greys look totally neutral and no pink at all. The whites also look very pleasing now. It was bugging me.

Hello, sorry for my bad english, i find your post today and im interesting about try your calibrated profile file to my apple led cinema display 27, can you upload your file anywhere again? Please :)