Apple releases iOS 6 beta 3 with new settings for Maps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday supplied developers with the third beta of iOS 6, arriving three weeks after the previous beta build, adding new features like expanded settings for the Maps application..

Developers can now download iOS 6 beta 3 from Software Update on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. In addition, full downloads are also available from Apple's developer portal.

People familiar with the latest build indicated that there are new options in the Settings application for Apple's new Maps software. Specifically, the third beta now allows developers to customize certain aspects like the volume of turn-by-turn navigation, and whether to measure distances in miles or kilometers.

The last update, which arrived in late June, included a pair of fixes related to touchscreen keyboard performance. iOS 6 beta 3 is compatible with the third-generation iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and fourth-generation iPod touch. The final software will be released to the public this fall.

iOS 6 was formally announced last month at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. Developers were also provided with the first beta after its unveiling, allowing them to test their applications before the formal public launch this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32

Mid-July and we are at beta 3.  Maybe we'll see the final prior to "fall"

• Reply 2 of 32
    Lets see what new changes are in store for us,

My OTA update showing as Beta 2 however, I wonder if thats just a glitch?

Edit: It is a glitch, I went through with the install anyways and it did install the Beta 3 flawlessly.
  • Reply 3 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennysmoothx View Post

Lets see what new changes are in store for us,

My OTA update showing as Beta 2 however, I wonder if thats just a glitch?

iPhone 4 here, downloading Beta 3 now. Shows as about 320MB

• Reply 4 of 32

I wonder if they plugged that in-app purchasing hack

• Reply 5 of 32
    I wonder if they plugged that in-app purchasing hack

Hmm Perhaps, Although I'm sure they are working on a public fix for it(One that wont require a software update), as this hack I'm sure is causing tremendous revenue loss as well as causing a huge security loophole.
  • Reply 6 of 32

393 MB on the "new" iPad and 320 MBs on the 4S. Loving both betas so far! 

• Reply 7 of 32
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    It'd be nice to turn off the turn by turn navigation. It's annoying. I can function just fine without them, as I have for my entire life.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    It'd be nice to turn off the turn by turn navigation. It's annoying. I can function just fine without them, as I have for my entire life.

Well if you don’t like it then just don’t use it. Simple as that… No need for an Off switch…
  • Reply 9 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    topdrag wrote: »
    Well if you don’t like it then just don’t use it. Simple as that… No need for an Off switch…

No, that's exactly the reason we need an off switch. I don't like being forced to see Twitter in iOS and OS X, and I sure as heck won't like being forced to see Twitter and Facebook in iOS and OS X.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... whether to measure distances in miles or kilometers. ...

I hope that outside the US, those of us that actually use kilometres, will have a dialogue that spells the word correctly.  ;-)

• Reply 11 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's exactly the reason we need an off switch. I don't like being forced to see Twitter in iOS and OS X, and I sure as heck won't like being forced to see Twitter and Facebook in iOS and OS X.

I totally agree with this sentiment. 

• Reply 12 of 32
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Add me to the list.  Frankly, I really don't feel inclined to do this update.  I don't want anything related to Twitter or Facebook (or Google, for that matter) on my iDevices.  First, it's wasted resources, both in storage and CPU cycles.  But mostly it's the data leakage.  Not just the data that you know is leaking out because you either intended to do so or grudgingly allow it, but all the data that you don't know about because it's a locked-down device.  I have great control on my laptop of the data that exits out to the net, via /etc/hosts, DNT+ and best of all, Little Snitch.  An iDevice has nothing to limit any random app from sending information back to their servers without your consent.  That's unacceptable.

There is a neat iOS app for jailbroken devices similar to Little Snitch (Firewall IP), but I tried to buy it using a Visa gift card and could never get through the process (anyone have any tips on this?  I'm happy to pay them their few bucks, but I'm not going to use a credit card to do so.)  Having the Apple store work so easily is wonderful, but lacking even the most basic access to a network filter is ridiculous.  As a result, sadly, I rarely connect my iDevices to the net.

• Reply 13 of 32
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    If you don't log in to Facebook or Twitter on iOS or OS X, you won't see it anywhere. Where's the problem?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member

Don't log in to Twitter and Facebook and you won't see it anywhere in iOS or OS X! It's as simple as that ...
  • Reply 15 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    el3ktro wrote: »
    Don't log in to Twitter and Facebook and you won't see it anywhere in iOS or OS X! It's as simple as that ...

Except that's not the case, and you see it everywhere whether you use it or not.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

Quote:

Except that's not the case, and you see it everywhere whether you use it or not.

And elektro obviously didn't bother to read my (very next) post either.  Even if I don't see any damn Facebook logo on my screen, there's shit going on behind the scenes that I DON'T WANT AT ALL on my devices!

• Reply 17 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope is better on my iPhone 4. Missing the old Maps app. I hope Google releases their App Store version soon.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    blah64 wrote: »

And elektro obviously didn't bother to read my (very next) post either.  Even if I don't see any damn Facebook logo on my screen, there's shit going on behind the scenes that I DON'T WANT AT ALL on my devices!
    Like what? If you don’t log in to them they are not active! What do you not understand about that. What would they be doing “behind the scenes” if you don’t provide a login for them to use?

Once again… No on and off switch is needed. Just don’t use it. Problem solved. It’s easier than having to go into a settings panel to turn off something that you may change your mind about using in the future anyways.

I think we should really get back on topic though since we all know Apple won’t be putting in a off switch…
  • Reply 19 of 32
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Except you don't, if you don't log in to either service in the settings menu. I just tried this on Beta 3, and no popups, no contact syncing, no contextual menu, nothing.

Are you happy when you're not complaining about things, or what? You're worse than a 90 year old woman with a broken hip and an empty carton of smokes.

• Reply 20 of 32
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

You don't have to turn it off. If you don't like it, just don't use it.

After you put in your where from and where to info, hit "Route." This brings up the routing screen with the little blue line charting your course. If you hit "Start" in the top right, it turns on Voice Guided Nav. Since you don't want that, go ahead and click the button on the bottom left that's just to the right of 3D, the one with the little lines through it that looks like a bullet point list. Viola! Step by step nav instructions, just like the old version, except this time you don't have to keep hitting "next" after every portion of the route.

Feel free to return to your fine functioning life now, as I've apparently just solved your most critical conundrum for you.