iOS 6 beta 3 for Apple TV brings expanded AirPlay control

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The latest beta of iOS 6 makes the Apple TV set-top box beyond a device that simply receives media, allowing users to actively stream audio to external AirPlay-enabled speakers.

With iOS 6 Beta 3, users can access enhanced features available in the AirPlay section of the device settings. The new functionality, highlighted by FlatPanelsHD on Wednesday, allows users to choose external speakers to send audio.

Running the latest software, the Apple TV will detect any AirPlay-enabled speakers on a user's home network, and they will be available to select for sound output. The new feature is said to be fully operational in the latest pre-release build of iOS 6, allowing users to send audio from any content, including video, to wireless AirPlay-capable speakers.

Currently, an Apple TV running the latest publicly released version of iOS only has the ability to receive AirPlay content. The existing AirPlay settings on the Apple TV simply to turn the feature on or off, and set a password.

The new software update will help to make the Apple TV a more independent device less reliant on external devices. For example, users could access their iCloud-stored music library on an Apple TV, and use the set-top box to stream that music elsewhere, such as to speakers connected to an Apple AirPort Express.

Apple TV

Because AirPlay does not support 5.1 surround sound, users with the latest beta of iOS 6 for Apple TV indicated to FlatPanelsHD that Dolby Digital audio must be disabled, or else the volume will be very low. That setting can be accessed in the system's "Audio & Video" options.

Last month, Apple's second iOS 6 beta for Apple TV added the ability to customize and reorder the layout of application icons, just like on the iPhone and iPad. The addition helped to fuel speculation that Apple is gearing up to give the Apple TV its own App Store with third-party applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Nice!  That'll be a handy feature.  I wonder why AirPlay doesn't support 5.1?  Is it a technical limitation?  Hopefully they'll be able to add that in the future.  Really hoping the AppleTV App store comes to fruition too.  That would rock.

• Reply 2 of 11
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    This is a cool feature. So will it play on multiple remote speakers? Meaning the ones connected to the hard wired speakers and also an express or two?

Anyone know why the iPad can not AirPlay audio to multiple sources, like say the apple tv and two expresses? Is it hardware related or is it just not implemented yet?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

All this fiddling with the periphery seems like something that should be done after the big stuff, and by that I mean an ATV app store. It's such an obvious move it boggles the mind why Apple haven't done it. Then release an ATV4 next year based on the iPad 4 internals (PVR Rogue, Cortex A15) and have something which can run Xbox/PS3 games without compromise.

I think Apple will have to address the price issue too - an Xbox 360 is now £140 for the base model, and it gives access to a pretty solid array of streaming services. (plus it plays high end games). The ATV at £100 for such a limited box just doesn't make any sense. The Roku, also at £100, is only slightly better as at least it has an app store. These little streamers should be £50, tops.

• Reply 4 of 11

yay

• Reply 5 of 11
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    There have been several times where I wish my Apple TV would send sound to my iPhone so I can plug my headphone in and not bother others. Kind of like reverse AirPlay.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    djmikeo wrote: »
    There have been several times where I wish my Apple TV would send sound to my iPhone so I can plug my headphone in and not bother others. Kind of like reverse AirPlay.

As the AppleTV doesn't have internal permanent storage anymore what would your request accomplish that iTunes Match can't do for your iPhone?
  • Reply 7 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

As the AppleTV doesn't have internal permanent storage anymore what would your request accomplish that iTunes Match can't do for your iPhone?

He could be talking about sound coming from movies or TV shows.

And that is exactly what this new AirPlay speaker can accomplish for people. It sounds great. The ability to output sound form the TV wirelessly to any AirPlay sound system or speaker system is quite significant.

• Reply 8 of 11
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I think Apple will have to address the price issue too - an Xbox 360 is now £140 for the base model, and it gives access to a pretty solid array of streaming services. (plus it plays high end games). The ATV at £100 for such a limited box just doesn't make any sense. The Roku, also at £100, is only slightly better as at least it has an app store. These little streamers should be £50, tops.

The Roku boxes are $59, $79, and $99 depending on the model.  The ATV is $100.  The new Google ridiculous box is $299.  Sorry- the prices are fine.  $99 for an A5, Wireless N, Stainless Remote, 8gb storage, etc is plenty fine- all they need to do is increase their capabilities/apps (HBOGo, Hulu, etc.)  If you want a huge box and clunky peripherals, get the Xbox.  I would prefer a small tiny box that is unnoticeable- The iTunes streaming most boxes can do- but I need something that streams iCloud and has my Photostream screensaver.... oh ya- and can Screen share with my MacBook air on Mountain Lion.

Apple's box is priced very nicely.  The base Roku is fine for most people who don't have any or very little Apple hardware.  But for an apple-centric household, the Apple TV is the only choice.

• Reply 9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But for an apple-centric household, the Apple TV is the only choice.

And it will become very powerful down along the road, I am sure.

• Reply 10 of 11

This is wonderful. I am really amazed to know about that.

• Reply 11 of 11

This is wonderful. I am really amazed to know about that.