iTunes in the Cloud expands in Canada, U.K., Hong Kong, many more

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
iTunes users in a number of new countries around the world, including the U.K., Canada, Australia, Mexico and Hong Kong, now have access to select movies they've purchased through iCloud.

Thursday marked the roll-out of iCloud-based features for a number of new countries around the world. Users in Europe, Asia and North America all began noticing that they have access to movies through iTunes in the Cloud.

Apple also expanded its iTunes Match service on thursday to at least Poland and Hungary. No official announcement was made by the company, and as of Thursday afternoon the official list of countries with iTunes in the Cloud capabilities has not yet been updated.

An extensive list of countries where iTunes in the Cloud movies are now available was collected on Thursday by MacRumors. Additional countries include Ireland, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Honduras, Hungary, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, Slovakia, Sri Lanka Taiwan, Thailand, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

iCloud

International roll-out of iTunes in the Cloud functionality has continued steadily since the service debuted in the U.S. late last year. Because of licensing agreements necessary to sell content like movies and music, certain material has become available at different times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

But the servers are still all located in the US I believe.

• Reply 2 of 22

I know nothing about server related stuff, but surely it's a bit unrealistic to have every iTunes store customer depending on a server farm in North Carolina? Though on the other hand considering the traffic jam that we suffered through for iOS5, that may well be the case of how things are done at Apple.

However, very happy to finally see the "films in the cloud" feature activated for British iTunes accounts. I have been steadily replacing my collection with iTunes purchases over the last couple of months. Still pisses me off that we can't get HD versions of any of the Marvel comics related movies, but one can hope that this will happen in the near future.

• Reply 3 of 22
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    But the servers are still all located in the US I believe.

What makes you say that? Certainly Apple doesn't rely on Akamai solely for their iTunes store¿
  • Reply 4 of 22
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I know nothing about server related stuff, but surely it's a bit unrealistic to have every iTunes store customer depending on a server farm in North Carolina? Though on the other hand considering the traffic jam that we suffered through for iOS5, that may well be the case of how things are done at Apple.

However, very happy to finally see the "films in the cloud" feature activated for British iTunes accounts. I have been steadily replacing my collection with iTunes purchases over the last couple of months. Still pisses me off that we can't get HD versions of any of the Marvel comics related movies, but one can hope that this will happen in the near future.

I find iTunes to be such a bad deal price-wise for everything except music that I rarely buy from them.  Nice to see this service activated in Canada (where I am right now), but it's certainly "select" movies.  The one movie I purchased isn't available, but the one season of a TV show I purchased is.  

• Reply 5 of 22
    I have to agree that iTunes is a bad deal price wise. You get the occasional decent offer in the British store but they are few and far between. However, I have seen what happens when you have huge collection of physical media, and I want to embrace the cloud.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Nice surprise and I noticed one of my movie purchases had shown up which was a digital copy from my Blu Ray. However others haven't. Suppose it depends if they have struck a deal with that particular studio. Agreed that movies are too expensive on iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I have to agree that iTunes is a bad deal price wise. You get the occasional decent offer in the British store but they are few and far between. However, I have seen what happens when you have huge collection of physical media, and I want to embrace the cloud.

I would love to embrace the cloud and I do it for everything else, but in terms of iTunes, it just isn't possible for me now and won't be for a while.  

I've thought of doing iTunes match just for the music part, but the limitations, restrictions ect. are too prevalent.  There's no guarantee that it will accept tracks you burned off of CD's that were legally bought for instance or movies you took from your own DVD's, and it does quite a bit of violence to your iTunes library just to attempt iTunes match.  

There is also the bigger problem that a great deal of the music I listen to isn't available on iTunes at all in my country and thus will never "match."  About 30% of the stuff I listen too falls into this category.  Basically, what used to be called "imports" in the days of Vinyl.  This stuff not only isn't in the iTunes store of my country, it never will be. It's not likely we will ever be able to buy stuff from other countries iTunes stores legally or easily also.   

Since iTunes won't accept *everything* in your library, one is faced with having essentially two libraries if you want to attempt matching, something which iTunes is basically almost incapable of doing.  Also, since there is so much stuff that iTunes match won't handle, you pretty much have to have a local backup in place for all that stuff which requires an NAS and a backup strategy, redundancy, etc. so if you are going to have to buy the drives, computers, NAS and so forth to back up that stuff locally, then one might as well just back up everything locally and forget about iTunes match all together.  

• Reply 8 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would love to embrace the cloud and I do it for everything else, but in terms of iTunes, it just isn't possible for me now and won't be for a while.  

I've thought of doing iTunes match just for the music part, but the limitations, restrictions ect. are too prevalent.  There's no guarantee that it will accept tracks you burned off of CD's that were legally bought for instance or movies you took from your own DVD's, and it does quite a bit of violence to your iTunes library just to attempt iTunes match.  

There is also the bigger problem that a great deal of the music I listen to isn't available on iTunes at all in my country and thus will never "match."  About 30% of the stuff I listen too falls into this category.  Basically, what used to be called "imports" in the days of Vinyl.  This stuff not only isn't in the iTunes store of my country, it never will be. It's not likely we will ever be able to buy stuff from other countries iTunes stores legally or easily also.   

Since iTunes won't accept *everything* in your library, one is faced with having essentially two libraries if you want to attempt matching, something which iTunes is basically almost incapable of doing.  Also, since there is so much stuff that iTunes match won't handle, you pretty much have to have a local backup in place for all that stuff which requires an NAS and a backup strategy, redundancy, etc. so if you are going to have to buy the drives, computers, NAS and so forth to back up that stuff locally, then one might as well just back up everything locally and forget about iTunes match all together.  

iTune's match takes everything even "fair use" back ups which may have came from napster in the nineties, kazaa in the early noughties and other more modern methods, although some of the napster sourced tags are rather dated  and show up a bit weird although they have been backed up from PC to PC for over 15 years

All my AC/DC albums are in the cloud for instance as well as backed up locally.

• Reply 9 of 22
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post

Nice surprise and I noticed one of my movie purchases had shown up which was a digital copy from my Blu Ray. However others haven't. Suppose it depends if they have struck a deal with that particular studio. Agreed that movies are too expensive on iTunes.

Not all of mine have shown up but I'll try again later as it's just taking a bit of time for some. I don't expect all will because of certain studios but at least I backup[no less than once a week to a 2TB external HDD]. I've invested a lot of money over the years so I've learned many years back to BACKUP on a regular basis.

When I first read this post and signed in to iTunes 56 movies were showing. Next time I signed in, 83 movies and now 226 movies are shown. I have 286 in total so it's getting closer. Btw, I've gotten a lot of my movies for either $5.00 or $10.00 in Apples store in the "Great Movies, Great Prices" section and some of the "Bundles."

• Reply 10 of 22
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

Quote:

Have you ever checked out iTunes Match? If you did, you probably wouldn't have had to ask these questions. I'm sure that iTunes Match isn't any different where it's available from one country to another; just the cost. Here's the link from Canada. I hope it helps.

http://www.apple.com/ca/itunes/itunes-match/

• Reply 11 of 22

I LOVE iTunes Match! It's absolutely fantastic.

Not only do I have access to all 23,000 of my iTunes tracks on my iPhone, and on my iPad, but they don't take up any of that much needed space on my devices. Now if only I could get my iPhoto library in the cloud as well...

• Reply 12 of 22
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

I just use Spotify instead now. No need to download any music or clog up my hard drive storing it. I just stream it. It's saving me a fortune over buying CDs or iTunes Music and I don't have to pay for iTunes Match.

Started using Lovefilm streaming to. Not much new content as yet but when they do I'll probably stop buying iTunes movies and tv shows as well.

Data plans and all that don't bother me coz I only consume the content at home anyway where I have a decent broadband connection and unlimited data.

• Reply 13 of 22

in the US a lot of movies are now in icloud that werent before but some say your not alowed to play them. seems to be a problem with itunes i guess.

• Reply 14 of 22

Security. Natch

Music, bookmarks fine, Documents, emails, notes I wouldn't dream of leaving in the cloud. 

• Reply 15 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I just use Spotify instead now. No need to download any music or clog up my hard drive storing it. I just stream it. It's saving me a fortune over buying CDs or iTunes Music and I don't have to pay for iTunes Match.

Started using Lovefilm streaming to. Not much new content as yet but when they do I'll probably stop buying iTunes movies and tv shows as well.

Data plans and all that don't bother me coz I only consume the content at home anyway where I have a decent broadband connection and unlimited data.

Spotify costs a lot more than iTunes match (In Australia $35 vs $144).

If you don't hand over credit card details to Spotify you stream nothing (Australia, may be different in other countries).

I buy iTunes cards when they are discounted, which happens quite a lot here between competing supermarket chains and prefer to make purchases using those.

Spotify doesn't have airplay and doesn't play on my Apple TV it also doesn't have movies and TV shows.

It is next to impossible to delete your account.

• Reply 16 of 22
    tonton wrote: »
    I LOVE iTunes Match! It's absolutely fantastic.

Not only do I have access to all 23,000 of my iTunes tracks on my iPhone, and on my iPad, but they don't take up any of that much needed space on my devices. Now if only I could get my iPhoto library in the cloud as well...

visualzone wrote: »
    Not all of mine have shown up but I'll try again later as it's just taking a bit of time for some. I don't expect all will because of certain studios but at least I backup[no less than once a week to a 2TB external HDD]. I've invested a lot of money over the years so I've learned many years back to BACKUP on a regular basis.

When I first read this post and signed in to iTunes 56 movies were showing. Next time I signed in, 83 movies and now 226 movies are shown. I have 286 in total so it's getting closer. Btw, I've gotten a lot of my movies for either $5.00 or $10.00 in Apples store in the "Great Movies, Great Prices" section and some of the "Bundles."

All movies now showing including the ones I thought I lost when I changed m hard drive in my Mac. ICloud becoming even better. Thanks for advice on great moies great prices section.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    [quote name="tonton" url="/t/151387/itunes-in-the-cloud-expands-in-canada-u-k-hong-kong-many-more#post_2150308"]I LOVE iTunes Match! It's absolutely fantastic.

Not only do I have access to all 23,000 of my iTunes tracks on my iPhone, and on my iPad, but they don't take up any of that much needed space on my devices. Now if only I could get my iPhoto library in the cloud as well.

This is what I'm waiting for.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Spotify costs a lot more than iTunes match (In Australia $35 vs $144).

If you don't hand over credit card details to Spotify you stream nothing (Australia, may be different in other countries).

I buy iTunes cards when they are discounted, which happens quite a lot here between competing supermarket chains and prefer to make purchases using those.

Spotify doesn't have airplay and doesn't play on my Apple TV it also doesn't have movies and TV shows.

It is next to impossible to delete your account.

In the UK you can get a free Spotify account which is great if you mainly use it to discover new music. If you want more it's £5 or £10 a month. But bare in mind that includes access to their entire music catalogue which is vast and certainly a lot bigger than my iTunes library. I'm finding that I've starting discovering great new artists that I probably wouldn't otherwise find because they don't get much radio airplay and I've started listening again to all my old favourite bands from the 80's. It's certainly saved me a lot of money compared to buying CDs or iTunes Music. I'm not sure about Airplay but I can listen to Spotify tracks on my iPhone and iPad although I tend to listen to music mostly at home.

I also now use Vevo which is fantastic since they removed the requirement to have a Facebook account to use it. Unlimited music videos for free in glorious HD quality. I even did a little test the other day. I bought an iTunes music video and compared it with the same video played through Vevo and the Vevo one was a much better picture quality - bit like SD versus HD. So I've now stopped buying iTunes music videos as well apart from the odd one to two that aren't on Vevo.

• Reply 19 of 22
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi ... By the way check out [I]Andain - Turn Up The Sound (Gabriel & Dresden Remix)[/I] It's a BeatPort exclusive but when I get around to it I'd like to eventually use iTunes Match.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    hill60 wrote: »

Yeah I just noticed it the other day at Dick Smith's (Perth). $40 for $50 iTunes Card. Which is just nice because I've switched to fully using AU iTunes instead of my dodgy fake US address to use US iTunes.

Even at full price it's just really convenient being able to rock up to a petrol station and get an iTunes reload (I don't like direct access to my credit card)... Previously, in Asia, for example, I had to always buy US iTunes cards online, through what is likely legal but still trepidatious sources.

Are you on iiNet? Do you get Freezone for iTunes Movies on AppleTV? I just noticed it since about a month ago when I started with iiNet DSL now. Not bad.

What chains usually have iTunes card discounts besides DSE?