India's Aircel carrier begins selling iPhone 3GS with annual data plan for $236

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's aging iPhone 3GS, which sells in the US for "free" when subsidized by an expensive AT&T contract, is now being sold in India outright for just $181 (9,999 Rupees), when paired with year long, prepaid unlimited data plan that costs just $55.

The new offer, which Aircel promotes as "unbelievable," supplies either "unlimited" 3G data (tethered from 3.6 Mbps to a rather slow 128Kbps after a fairly reasonable 2GB monthly data use) or a 2G plan that includes unlimited 2G data, 1000 minutes of talk and 2500 SMS per month.

The new prepaid option is somewhat comparable to a new prepaid plan available in the US, tied to the brand new 16GB iPhone 4S or 8GB iPhone 4. Cricket Wireless began offering the two models in the US in June for $500 and $400, respectively, with a $55 per month "unlimited" plan that also slows down after 2.3GB of use.

In the US, iPhone plans have largely remained identical over the last five years even as new carriers Verizon and Sprint have partnered with Apple to sell the phone. Outside, however, carriers in other countries have tried different plans.

In some countries, including Japan, subscribers pay full price for iPhone hardware but pay it off in monthly installments as they use it, in addition to their lower service plan fees.

In other markets, carrier subsidies are much lower, allowing cheaper smartphones to offer a greater price gap, undercutting the more premium-priced iPhone options available.

Apple continues to experiment with its carrier plans, particularly in cheaper prepaid plans like those now being offered by Aircel in India and Cricket in the US.

Sprint's prepaid subsidiaries Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile were both rumored to soon begin offering a similar plans to Cricket.

Within the last quarter, Apple has also added eight new regional US carriers offering slightly cheaper, conventional post-paid plans, including nTelos, Alaska Communications, GCI, Appalachian Wireless and Cellcom in April and Kentucky's Bluegrass Cellular, California's Golden State Cellular, and Kansas' Nex-Tech Wireless in May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Does anyone still think we need a no-apps, no-gyroscope, worse-cameras, pared-down "iPhone nano"? I can't imagine.

• Reply 2 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

When did India start using South African currency?

They use Rupees, which also start with an "r".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's aging iPhone 3GS, which sells in the US for "free" when subsidized by an expensive AT&T contract, is now being sold in India outright for just $181 (9,999 Rand), when paired with year long, prepaid unlimited data plan that costs just $55.

• Reply 3 of 22
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member

Meh, India's currency is Rupee, not Rand. Rand is South Africa's.

• Reply 4 of 22
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does anyone still think we need a no-apps, no-gyroscope, worse-cameras, pared-down "iPhone nano"? I can't imagine.

heck at this price why do we need an iPod Touch 8GB?

• Reply 5 of 22
    You can't compare prices, especially with less developed countries. Sure - for the owner of Tata $55 for a pre-paid contract is a steal. But I doubt the average Indian will think of $55 as a bargain.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiee69 View Post

You can't compare prices, especially with less developed countries. Sure - for the owner of Tata $55 for a pre-paid contract is a steal. But I doubt the average Indian will think of $55 as a bargain.

If I'm reading this correctly... $55 a year for data (5/month).   If you can afford the $181 and the calling minutes, you can afford this.  If you can't afford the phone... then your point is sort of silly.

• Reply 7 of 22
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Time for some gringos to go stand in line in India!

• Reply 8 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Time for some gringos to go stand in line in India!

Eh, still ???? ?????.

• Reply 9 of 22
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

I still think a proverbial iPhone Nano like that could be a good idea for Apple especially here in the US where data/voice plan costs are nearing a $100 a month on the 2 main carriers. A Nano that side skirts the requirement of Data would be great for a lot of people.

Anyway I think this is a great push from Apple to lower the 3GS's price. It's still a great phone and runs the latest version of iOS (I've heard it runs 6 faster than 5?). I wonder if Apple is mulling keeping the 3GS around for prepaid carriers around the world? For $149 it'd be comparable to most Androids that Boost and Cricket sell.

• Reply 10 of 22
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

heck at this price why do we need an iPod Touch 8GB?

The iPod Touch has a faster new processor and a better screen. But I'll say without IPS the screens edge on the 3GS is minimal.

• Reply 11 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    And this is why Apple will continue to make the iPhone 3GS for at least another product cycle. The iPhone "5" will knock the 4S down to the $99 spot, the 4 will be discontinued as replaced by the 4S (or be kept around to meet a different price point and/or CDMA markets), and the 3GS will remain as the free phone (as a GSM world phone).
  • Reply 12 of 22
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member

Yes very expensive, but at least available. Earlier in the year it was terribly hard to find anything Apple, apart from the Apple shop on MG Road Bangalore. There are of course the very rich Indians who can afford this, but mobile phones are so pervasive and cheap among the poor, that something must be done to address that market as well.

?????

• Reply 13 of 22

Quote:

Eh, still ???? ?????.

I was quoting this.

?????

• Reply 14 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Yes very expensive, but at least available. Earlier in the year it was terribly hard to find anything Apple, apart from the Apple shop on MG Road Bangalore. There are of course the very rich Indians who can afford this, but mobile phones are so pervasive and cheap among the poor, that something must be done to address that market as well.

?????

Well I know In Mumbai there was no shortest of Apple products, is CROMA in your city, since that stocks majority of apple items.

• Reply 15 of 22

By reducing prices to such a low level,Apple will loss its sheen as premium brand as it will be there in Hands of every Tom,Dick and Harry.

• Reply 16 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerprakash View Post

By reducing prices to such a low level,Apple will loss its sheen as premium brand as it will be there in Hands of every Tom,Dick and Harry.

Perhaps they've no intention of being seen as a 'premium' brand. They offer an iPod for everyone and an iPad for anyone already; the iPhone having three models is simply an extension of that.

I'm sure Apple wants an iPhone in everyone's hands. It's hard to beat out utter crap, though, when people aren't smart enough not to buy it.

• Reply 17 of 22
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

More interesting for me is that by reading this article I have learnt that India now has a symbol for the Rupee. They always just used Rs. , but as of July 2010 they have a symbol for it.  Interesting.

I wonder how you type it?  

• Reply 18 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

‰?¨Ó?ˆ?€‹›??‡°·‚—±¡™£¢?§¶•ªŒ„´‰??œ?´®†¥¨ˆø?“‘«”’»?؈Ø?”’»å

Oh. Okay. Okay, Huddler. Apparently Option+S submits the post you're working on.

Heaven forbid you guys ever host a German forum.

• Reply 19 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

More interesting for me is that by reading this article I have learnt that India now has a symbol for the Rupee. They always just used Rs. , but as of July 2010 they have a symbol for it.  Interesting.

/- as in 9,999/-

• Reply 20 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Well I know In Mumbai there was no shortest of Apple products, is CROMA in your city, since that stocks majority of apple items.

Anything in Colaba? I did get Jobs biography there for less than 800/- (about $12) and Inside Apple for 500/- ($10) ???? ?????