PB heat

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I ahve a DVI 667 PB... right now i have a 100% full battery, iChat, AIM, Finder, OW, Mail, Text Edit, and iJournal open...

But I am sitting here basically idle watching a movie for the last hour or so, and the computer is too hot for me to keep on my lap...

what is going on here?

is this normal? my fan has been on for a little while and this is really concerning me...

if my PB is idle and all i am doing is surfing the web... should the fan go on? because it is

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ok, the fan went off, but 3 minutes later it went back on... this cant be normal
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have noticed with my iBook that if it is on a soft cush surface such as a comforter it will get hot. If it is on a solid flat surface like a desk the air between the rubber "feet" between the Laptop and the desk allow for better heat release. When it is not able to breath and rests against a surface such as cloth the heat is trapped and makes the entire laptop get warmer and warmer.

I would suggest running your laptop only on flat surfaces where there is an air gap between the laptop and the desk.

Hope that will help.

Fellowship

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: FellowshipChurch iBook ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    the thing is that i am not really running it so the bottom is covered because i have been holding it on the sides mostly....

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    type "top" in the console and see what your CPU usage is at. i'd start there and move on. if something is using 40-60% cpu that you aren't aware of, that could be the culprit. if not, then there might be something wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    well found it... console didnt work tho, i had to use the terminal...

iJournal was causing problems...

that sucks oh well

thanks for the help alcimedes
  • Reply 6 of 9
    the powerbooks are notorious for getting "warm"

basically a pb is useless as a laptop since you cant actually use it on your lap without setting

fire to your nuts

i use a pb ti800 & it runs hot if the gpu is

taxed...

so live with it...theres no cure for it

simply poor design decisions on apples part

& as the mhz goes up the heat issue will remain

or get worse.

so if anyone gets the newer 1ghz pb's please

post here on the heat issues

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 9
    actually i've found that the 800Mhz TiBook is much cooler than the old 500Mhz or 667Mhz TiBooks. (yeah, i meant terminal, not console, i get confused at times. )

mine rarely runs that hot unless i'm running something that uses the CPU 100% of the time.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    is it normal for AIM to use 50-60% of the CPU when idle?

the 800 DVI is cooler then then 667 DVI :confused: that was one of the big reasons why i got the 667 instead of the 800 that and the $800 price difference or so
  • Reply 9 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, the new 800 and 667 are cooler than the old machines. (i think they had a 667 then, didn't they?) oh well, i know the former new ones (667 and 800) were cooler then their slower predecessors. if you have a new 667, that's probably cooler than the 800's.